IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Noise from engine. Suspect VVT Pulley, VVT Solenoid or PCV

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.

1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40

LT South Africa
Year and Model: 2003
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
South Africa
LT South Africa

Noise from engine. Suspect VVT Pulley, VVT Solenoid or PCV

Post by LT South Africa » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:07 am

HI,

I have spent considerable time going through all the posts here regarding whining noise in engine.

It seems it could be:
A) The VVT Pulley
B) The VVT Solenoid
C) The PCV

So now i am more confused than ever.

This is the symptoms i have.

A) A terrible whining noise at idle.

Going through the symptoms of the above options this is what i find.

1) When the engine is running i have difficulty releasing the oil filler cap due to the pressure. I need to use both hands. So This is NOT a PCV fault symptom. However the noise does go away.
2) When the engine is running and i pull out the dip stick i hear a "PoP" and the pressure wants to pull the dip stick back. There is absolutely no smoke at all. So this is NOT a PCV fault. However, the noise stops.
3) When the engine is running and i remove the VVT Solenoid plug. There is a very slight change in the ticking but the whining noise is still there. So this is NOT the VVT Solenoid but sounds like it could be the PCV.
4) When i start the motor from cold i hear "Cluck, cluck, cluck" 3 times and then it idles smoothly.
5) When the motor heats up to normal running temp. Then the "Whining" starts on low or idle rev's. But only sometimes when its cold.
6) If i give the throttle a sharp burst then i hear "Cluck" once and it then runs smooth. (See the attached video)
7) There is a strong presence of fuel smell when the engine is running.
8) There is a very slight miss on idle. Its not very noticable but its there if you listern carefully. It sounds like it misses a fire sequence every 2 seconds of turnover from the engine.
9) The cam & Timing belts are both brand new
10) Using a stethoscope i do pick up a rumble on the tensioner pulley on idle. But it goes away under throttle.
11) I noted marks on all the pulleys and cams which are still new so i think that cam and timing belt maintenance was done recently.
12) I do get a engine warning light. It will come on in the morning and stay on all day no matter how many times i stop/start switch off etc. Then,the engine warning light will not come on for a couple of days. Sometimes weeks.

The car has 150 000 KM (98500 miles) And as you can see by the pics the engine is in immaculate condition.

THe covers have been removed for maintenance purpose of this post.

Okay. So. I am still stumped as to what i should be looking at to solve the "Whining" & the "Cluck" noise.
Attachments
20160625_140324.jpg
20160625_140317.jpg

LT South Africa
Year and Model: 2003
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
South Africa
LT South Africa

Re: Noise from engine. Suspect VVT Pulley, VVT Solenoid or PCV

Post by LT South Africa » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:58 am

Sorry. I omitted to mention. The tensioner pulley tends to dance around a bit when idling. Is this normal? When i give throttle the engine runs smooth and the tensioner pulley stay true.