IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

v40 2003 1.8 (nON-gdi) Engine replacement

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.

1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40

Service 2016
Year and Model: V4 2003 1.8
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain
Service 2016

v40 2003 1.8 (nON-gdi) Engine replacement

Post by Service 2016 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:42 am

Hi, I am examining the possibility of replacing my 2003 1.8 (Non-GDI) v40 engine B4184S2 with a 2.0 T engine B4204T3.

The replacement engine comes with all LOOM & ECU. In theory, is this possible? I would not undertake the job myself. But,I would employ a mechanic to take on the job for me.

Please let me know. Here's hoping.

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Re: V40 2003 1.8 (nON-gdi) Engine replacement

Post by MadeInJapan » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:33 am

I think it is possible if it also comes with the turbo, intercooler and related hoses as well as the loom and ECU you mention. Anything is possible, but be aware that from 2001 on much became computerized so there is a possibility that things like the dash, displays, car locking & ignition, radio/CD, A/C and even window functioning may have to paired or "married" to the ECU. Replacing the ECU in your car might necessitate software downloads from the dealer to make your V40 operational. It would be a good idea to look into this BEFORE going to all the trouble of going through an engine replacement.

You did not post why you want to replace the engine...did it have trouble or are you just wanting a faster car? If the later, then my suggestion is to sell the V40 you have and buy a faster turbo Volvo. If it is because of a bad engine, it may still be a better deal in the long run to do the same thing- or fix up the V40 with a second B4184S2 engine where nothing else has to be replaced except for the engine mounts and a few related items or repair the engine while it's in the car- both would still be a task that I do not look forward to doing.

Good luck and I hope you post back to let us know what you found out about the ECU/pairing issue and what you decided to do.

-MIJ
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

Service 2016
Year and Model: V4 2003 1.8
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain
Service 2016

Re: V40 2003 1.8 (nON-gdi) Engine replacement

Post by Service 2016 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:19 am

Hi MJ, thank you for your reply; to be honest: I would like a faster car. I have previously owned an S60 T and I miss the kick down and acceleration. I got stuck behind a slow car today in my 1.8 and went for a foot down overtake, but forgot about the lack of power. I ended up side by side with the vehicle I was planning on overtaking and thought: hmm, I am not going to make it. I had to slow down and drop in behind him. In my Turbo S60, I would have been pass and away and in a few seconds.

In my dream, I could purchase the 2.0 T V40 engine I have seen for sale, and pay a Mechanic a day's work to drop it into my current car. Following your detailed reply, you're right: the ECU could be a problem as a dealer would probably want a lot of money to make it functional. I will look into the ECU/Pairing issue and let you know.