IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

[SOLVED] 2001 Side Impact Sensor location (SRS light on)

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.

1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40

cbburtraw
Year and Model: 1998 S70T5M, 01 V40
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
cbburtraw

[SOLVED] 2001 Side Impact Sensor location (SRS light on)

Post by cbburtraw » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:08 pm

Airbag light on - code reads as left front side impact sensor, signal faulty. Live data shows the same. Resetting of light using advance scan tool does nothing, meaning the fault is probably real, or could be a bad SRS module.

Where is the sensor? How do I change it? I guessed under the seat but couldn't find it.
I'd like to clean the contacts, perhaps swap the unit with the other side to confirm the fault follows it.
I find several posts online of people successfully doing so, but don't describe exactly where the sensor itself is or how to remove it.

Also, where is the SRS module and how to I change that?
Just in case it comes to that. I'm guessing it's under the center console?
Last edited by cbburtraw on Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbburtraw
Year and Model: 1998 S70T5M, 01 V40
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
cbburtraw

Re: 2001 Side Impact Sensor location (SRS light on)

Post by cbburtraw » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:53 pm

Found it. Inside the B pillar, pretty easy to get to.
-Remove bottom trim for each door (front is silver and says "Volvo" remove two screws and pry, back is plain black just pries off).
-Remove bottom B pillar trim (black on mine, just kinda pries off from both sides).
-Peel back gray sound insulation.
-Impact sensor is down low, brown, and attached by two nuts, with a two wire harness attaching to it. PN 30613043.

Swapped drivers and passenger side one (same PN) and the fault followed, confirmed bad sensor. I wouldn't have thought these things to go bad TBH, guess I was wrong. Thankful for this iCarsoft scan tool that can get live data from the SRS/ ABS-DSA-TCS/ several other modules. It has already paid for itself with this finicky car lol.

I hear back sensors are a similar procedure, requires removing part of the back seat cushion, removing C pillar trim, and it's a black sensor I believe PN 30613044 (one PN digit difference). I didn't do this though, won't unless I have to. Probably a bit more difficult with the back seat in the way.

It's too bad instruction on this is so scarce on the web... hope this helps the next owner with this problem :).