IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Recirculation, air directional controls doesn't work

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.

1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40

lord volvo
Year and Model: 240 1984

Recirculation, air directional controls doesn't work

Post by lord volvo »

Hey all.

Been getting acquainted with my "new" 2000 S40. Happy overall aside from a few things such as the recirculation button doesn't shut out outside air from coming in, and the air directional dial doesn't do anything. I don't hear any clicking noise as in slipping gears so maybe the previous owner disconnected the system as I've read elsewhere due to the clicking gear issue.

The blower and temp dials work fine as does the AC.

Mine is the electronic HVAC system.

I know my 240's recirculation and directional controls are vacuum-driven and somewhat easy to troubleshoot and repair, but vacuum-driven controls are from another time.

I've read other posts on this issue in other non-S40 vehicles about either the motor that controls flaps is broken or the flaps themselves are not connected, and the nightmare of accessing those items since they are buried in the center console. I've read of cutting a hole in a plastic panel behind the glove box which is something I really don't want to do unless I really have to.

There are a few pre-2004 S40s at my local pick-n-pull; hoping I can get parts from there before buying new and/or paying someone to fix it.

Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thx.
Mike F
2000 S40 - 46,000+ miles
1984 244 DL - 368,000+ miles on original engine, tranny, starter
1972 142 S - 139,000 miles - garage queen
alschnertz
Year and Model: 1995 854T

Re: Recirculation, air directional controls doesn't work

Post by alschnertz »

I think there were others that experienced problems with the S40 ECC.
Pretty sure XeMODeX had rebuilt units for sale for around $300.

Mine still works ok regarding direction, but the fan speed sometimes has a mind of its own.
Sorry that doesn't help much for your issue.
'60 PV544, '68 220, '70 145S, '86 745T, '95 854T, '01 S40
'84 Prelude
'06 MPV
'13 Ford Focus SE