IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Fuel filter to fuel pipes connections

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.

1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40

drmdrm
Year and Model: 2004 v40
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Germany
drmdrm

Fuel filter to fuel pipes connections

Post by drmdrm » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:52 am

Hello,

last week a fuel line next to the fuel filter at the rear drivers side got damaged. It is a small rubber pipe connecting the fuel filter with the fuel pipes that lead to the engine and also seperating the pipe into a second line that leads back to the fuel tank. The small plastic piece where the lines get seperated is the part that is broken. (see image attached)

Yesterday a mechanic provisionally bypassed the line, going from the filter back to the tank, and connected the filter straight with the pipes that lead to the engine.
The pipe returning to the tank is now unconnected.

I asked a few other mechanics and they all didn't seem to know what the purpose of this return line is, what the effects on the engine are if it is unconnected and where to get a replacement for this connector/pipe.

So I wonder:
What is the return line for?
What are the effects on the car if I drive like this?
Where can I get a replacement and how is that part called?

Thanks for help!
Attachments
IMG_0156.jpg
IMG_0156.jpg (411.19 KiB) Viewed 701 times

wahiddd
Year and Model: 2001 S40 2.0T
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Malaysia
wahiddd

Re: Fuel filter to fuel pipes connections

Post by wahiddd » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:50 am

The hose is return line to fuel tank and 4bar fuel pressure regulator in the fuel pump assy
Its to bleed excess pressure over 4bar and maintain 4bar fuel pressure in the fuel pipe until FPR on fuel rail