IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
MVS-Amazon link helps MVS!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2004 s40 oil leak in timing belt area

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.

1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40

Swells
Year and Model: 2004 s40

2004 s40 oil leak in timing belt area

Post by Swells »

Hey there,. I have an 04 s40 b4204t with a nasty oil leak in the timing belt area. Can't tell where it's coming from but if anyone has had same issues let me know please!! Thanks
alschnertz
Year and Model: 1995 854T

Re: 2004 S40 oil leak in timing belt area

Post by alschnertz »

VVT (Variable Valve Timing) hub.
Inspect closely and don't be fooled into thinking that it's just camshaft seals.
VVT hub failures are probably more common than seals.

I learned the hard way and changed the cam seals only to find out that it was the VVT hub.
So I had to do the whole job over again.

Pull the covers and clean everything that you can inside there to make an accurate diagnosis.
It's not a terribly difficult repair if you are really good at wrenching. But you do need some specific tools, a good repair manual and some mechanical knowledge.

Nice to see someone else in CT with a S40!
'60 PV544, '68 220, '70 145S, '86 745T, '95 854T, '01 S40
'84 Prelude
'06 MPV
'13 Ford Focus SE
jrsamples
Year and Model: 2003 S60

Re: 2004 S40 oil leak in timing belt area

Post by jrsamples »

I just fixed my VVT hub as it was bathing the entire engine compartment to some degree. See the thread I posted on doing the repair. You will need a cam locking tool. To repair the hub, you will need a locking pliers with new jaws, three M7 x 16mm button head socket screws and the replacement o-rings. You should get the Viton rings. I have an extra set if you need them. Some guy on an auction site sells one of them but not the pair you need. You may as well replace the other seals on the timing belt side of the engine too. Let us know what we can do to help you.

Regards - B.