IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Oil Leak on Turbo charger oil drain/vent pipe at block

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.

1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40

jumbicat
Year and Model: 2003 S40 2004 S60

Oil Leak on Turbo charger oil drain/vent pipe at block

Post by jumbicat »

The oil vent pipe on bottom of turbo charger had a leak at engine so replaced seal. Thought I may have cut it putting it in because the leak continued. Verified seal was cut. Bought another seal and noticed oil spitting out once oil pressure came up. I pulled the oil cap off while testing the 3rd seal and noticed with cap off, oil sprayed out of block. Am I looking at a head gasket issue? New turbo charger fixed the smoke issue but now I'm chasing an oil pressure issue.
RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.

Re: Oil Leak on Turbo charger oil drain/vent pipe at block

Post by RickHaleParker »

Do you mean your getting pressure out of the oil fill cap, like below?
This is the test for a clogged PCV system (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) which is known to blow oil past seals.

[youtube][/youtube]
1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package.
2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000.
2004 S60R, B8444S TF80 AWD.
2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0.
jumbicat

Post by jumbicat »

No, I did this test before replacing turbo charger and the glove would inflate/deflate at a very fast rate. No positive pressure like the video. Odd that taking the oil cap off would cause oil to stream out the oil vent pipe seal at engine block. Put the cap on and it's a slow leak.
jumbicat

Post by jumbicat »

Update. The turbo has been working great. No more smoke. Engine seems fine. May need to start another thread but as mentioned, I'm still getting camshaft code and temp. A new problem that has come up is the AC system. I've checked, the blower resistor, high pressure shut off, and relay. If I apply 12vdc to clutch, it will engage and work great. If I try and short out the pressure switch, the AC does not engage. I'm leaning towards a simple fix. Would it be something in the control cluster?