Welcome to the world's #1 Volvo forum!

Volvo Fixes & Advice since 2001.

Login Register

What did you do to your P2 Volvo today?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive P2 platform cars sold as model years 2001-2007 (North American market year designations).

2001 - 2007 V70
2001 - 2004 V70 XC (Cross Country)
2004 - 2007 XC70 (Cross Country)
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
2004 - 2007 V70 R

jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70

Re: What did you do to your P2 Volvo today?

Post by jonesg »

kcodyjr wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:06 pm
jonesg wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:50 pm No need to remove the crank pulley, just the lower dust shield, slip the timing belt through the gap sideways.
I've read conflicting opinions about this. Some say as you do, others say you need the eyes of a hawk to make out the timing marks with the crank pulley in place, and yet others say that bending the timing belt sideways like that weakens it in a potentially dangerous way. That last possibility concerns me.
Yeh the marks are near impossible to see even with the pulley out of the way.
I get around that by locking the cam sprockets to keep everything in time, the crank won't move by itself.
If the cam marks are lined up properly then you know the crank is too, assuming it was in time initially, that makes it a lot easier to spot the tiny marks on the crank.
Removing the crank nut is easy, torquing it back again isn't. 130 ft lbs ?
I say theres next to zero chance of damaging the belt by slipping it thru the gap.
But i've seen several instances where the pulley worked itself loose and destroyed the top end.
On mine the 30mm nut disappeared, I caught it by sheer luck, hammered a new one on with air tool and loctite.

kcodyjr
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T AWD

Post by kcodyjr »

jonesg wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:17 pm I get around that by locking the cam sprockets to keep everything in time, the crank won't move by itself.
That ship has sailed. I went with my cousin the Volvo factory-trained ASE-certified guy's school of "just cut it off and time it back in from scratch when you're putting it back together." Plus, the crank has moved since I took the belt off.
jonesg wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:17 pm Removing the crank nut is easy, torquing it back again isn't. 130 ft lbs ?
I've got a 1/2-inch drive clicky torque wrench that can handle that. The question is, what keeps the crank from turning? That's more than enough force to overcome compression.
jonesg wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:17 pm I say theres next to zero chance of damaging the belt by slipping it thru the gap.
The argument is that the act of bending it to slip through that gap is what does the damage. Something about timing belts are made very stiff in the transverse direction, and moebius-ing it is like bending someone's fingers backward.
jonesg wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:17 pm But i've seen several instances where the pulley worked itself loose and destroyed the top end.
Yikes! Same thing as the belt snapping, no?
2012 C70 T5 Platinum, ember black on cranberry leather
2006 S60 2.5T AWD, ice white on oak textile
5 others that came and went

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99: V70s S70s,05 V70

Post by abscate »

180 Nm for the crank center nut, but I antiseize it so I don’t torque it nearly that tight, probably about 2/3 of that
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread

jonesg

Post by jonesg »

If the crank pulley comes loose it does worse than a snapped belt, it takes out the crank splines first, then the top end.
I got lucky and discovered it before major damage but still needed a puller to get the damaged pulley off the crank.
I installed the nut as you prescribed , air tool and loctite.

Just went out to the garage , tried twisting a spare belt into a corkscrew, these things are nearly indestructible.
Maybe if I put it in the vice and twisted with a prybar, I think they're kevlar.
But installing is just pushing it with fingertips because you can't get your hands in there anyway.

volvolugnut
Year and Model: 2001 V70

Post by volvolugnut »

kcodyjr wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:59 pm
jonesg wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:17 pm I get around that by locking the cam sprockets to keep everything in time, the crank won't move by itself.
That ship has sailed. I went with my cousin the Volvo factory-trained ASE-certified guy's school of "just cut it off and time it back in from scratch when you're putting it back together." Plus, the crank has moved since I took the belt off.
jonesg wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:17 pm Removing the crank nut is easy, torquing it back again isn't. 130 ft lbs ?
I've got a 1/2-inch drive clicky torque wrench that can handle that. The question is, what keeps the crank from turning? That's more than enough force to overcome compression.
jonesg wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:17 pm I say theres next to zero chance of damaging the belt by slipping it thru the gap.
The argument is that the act of bending it to slip through that gap is what does the damage. Something about timing belts are made very stiff in the transverse direction, and moebius-ing it is like bending someone's fingers backward.
jonesg wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:17 pm But i've seen several instances where the pulley worked itself loose and destroyed the top end.
Yikes! Same thing as the belt snapping, no?

To hold the crank pulley while tightening use a tool like this. https://www.amazon.com/CRANKSHAFT-PULLE ... B06ZYJ1VGL

I made a tool from angle iron that fit over two of the crank bolts.

volvolugnut
Attachments
Crank tool.JPG
2001 V70 T5, 1986 244DL, 1983 245DL, 1975 245DL, 1959 PV544, multiple parts cars.

jonesg

Post by jonesg »

Funny thing is , I have all the tools to fabricate a fancy $60 counter hold tool, plasma cutter, tig welder etc.
Can't be bothered.

kcodyjr
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T AWD

Post by kcodyjr »

volvolugnut wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:26 am To hold the crank pulley while tightening use a tool like this. https://www.amazon.com/CRANKSHAFT-PULLE ... B06ZYJ1VGL
I've got one on the way from FCP for reassembly. I was able to get it off with an impact gun, and I was able to time it back in from scratch (thankfully, I didn't need to loosen the VVT hubs.)

Maintaining rightward tension so the VVT hubs don't spin, and leftward tension so the belt goes on straight and tight, and upward tension so the f***** doesn't pop off the crank sprocket, is a royal pain in the keester. I'm sure there's some trick to doing it easily that I probably won't ever learn.
2012 C70 T5 Platinum, ember black on cranberry leather
2006 S60 2.5T AWD, ice white on oak textile
5 others that came and went

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99: V70s S70s,05 V70

Post by abscate »

kcodyjr wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:06 pm
volvolugnut wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:26 am To hold the crank pulley while tightening use a tool like this. https://www.amazon.com/CRANKSHAFT-PULLE ... B06ZYJ1VGL
I've got one on the way from FCP for reassembly. I was able to get it off with an impact gun, and I was able to time it back in from scratch (thankfully, I didn't need to loosen the VVT hubs.)

Maintaining rightward tension so the VVT hubs don't spin, and leftward tension so the belt goes on straight and tight, and upward tension so the f***** doesn't pop off the crank sprocket, is a royal pain in the keester. I'm sure there's some trick to doing it easily that I probably won't ever learn.
There are a lot of ways to skin the cat. I’ve found it easiest to put it in the water pump last, using the closed end of my 30mm wrench as an almost perfect match to the water pump pulley, slipping the belt off sideways onto the pump.

The mechanical tensioner and idler bolts are all loose when I install, slip belt on , the tighten, then check time.

My biggest worry today is after a nasty day refreshing an E83 suspension in the driveway, the Chinese satellite will land on me
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread

jonesg

Post by jonesg »

abscate wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:21 am
kcodyjr wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:06 pm

There are a lot of ways to skin the cat. I’ve found it easiest to put it in the water pump last, using the closed end of my 30mm wrench as an almost perfect match to the water pump pulley, slipping the belt off sideways onto the pump.

The mechanical tensioner and idler bolts are all loose when I install, slip belt on , the tighten, then check time.

My biggest worry today is after a nasty day refreshing an E83 suspension in the driveway, the Chinese satellite will land on me
run the belt up, across the 2 cam sprockets and hold it there with a small vice grip whilst you fiddle with the other pullies.
You can deflect the tensioner pulley by hand to give enough slack to slip the belt on the water pump pulley.
Rotate twice by hand and check the marks again.

GlennG2759
Year and Model: 2006 V70 NA

Post by GlennG2759 »

Vise grip method worked for me also, used one on each cam sprocket. For a first timer doing a timing belt, still scary turning that ignition switch !