IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Poly Top Engine Mount

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

kmoney
Year and Model:
Been thanked: 0
kmoney

Poly Top Engine Mount

Post by kmoney » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:05 pm

I have an'04 S60 and just replaced the top mount with the polyurethane mount from IPD. They warn of more vibration but couldn't believe how much worse the vibration is. Think I'm going to swap this bak out for the OEM style mount. Before I do I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem and cured it by replacing other mounts? The car has around 120,000 miles on it by the way. I'm also thinking of replacing and upgrading the upper engine stabilizer (bar across the strut towers) mounts to poly to see if maybe this helps reduce the vibration a little but have a feeling it may intensify the issue.

Anyone have the same issues?

billr99
Year and Model: 2002 V70XC
Has thanked: 0
billr99

Re: Poly Top Engine Mount

Post by billr99 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:18 am

I had a poly top mount on my '96 R (5-sp) along with all new OEM mounts elsewhere. I got a bit more vibration at idle but the mount worked great off idle. Now with that said, I had thoughts about doing something similiar for my '02 XC (geartronic) but after reading about increased vibration at idle I figured I would stay clear of any poly. Two issues have arisen however and I've changed that thought somewhat but not due to vibration concerns. Specifically, I went with solid strut brace mounts to basically create a pseudo-strut bar and that has been effective in tightening up the steering a bit which on the XC was a bit sluggish stock. It has also increased vibration a wee bit but only when the temperatures are a bit colder (i.e. below 0C). My next issue is that I cannot seem to keep the small end bushing in one piece in these new design lower motor/tranny mounts. I suspect that the design is really mushy for vibration control but also the compounding of the rubber seems to deteriorate quicker now that I live in sea air 100% of the time. Plus the roads around here are not the greatest, especially during the spring thaw and that seems to have an effect as well. So I'm in the process of changing out the small-end bush only to a Powerflex poly (big-end bushing stays OEM rubber). I haven't received the mount from the UK yet but I will get in it ASAP once I do get hold of it. I have another thread on the subject on this forum and intend to report my results once I get it installed.

Cheers,

Bill

'05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-235K kms to-date
'02 V70XC (Ash Gray)-375K kms to-date
And a whole tonne of other Euro stuff (Volvo (8), VW (6), MB (1), Audi (3), BMW (2), SAAB (5), Land Rover (4), Porsche (2), Opel (1), MG (1), Mini (2), Sunbeam (1))

Mandrake
Year and Model: 01 S 60 T5 146k mi
Mandrake

Post by Mandrake » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:45 am

kmoney, I did the same with my 01 S60 T5. The poly upper mount really made the car vibrate at idle to the point where I took it out and replaced it with a stock one. I feel that if you did replace the strut mounts with poly ones it would intensify the problem.

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America
Georgeandkira

Post by Georgeandkira » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:37 am

Hello, The poly-mount transmitted terrific vibrations in my 1999; surprising since the engine ran so smoothly. I restored the rubber mount. A Volvo mechanic near me has restored EVERY one he has installed.

kmoney
Year and Model:
kmoney

Post by kmoney » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:03 pm

Put a rubber mount back on today. The vibration is just too much to deal with..

bshinn
Year and Model: 01 V70 2.4 T5
bshinn

Post by bshinn » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:55 pm

Did you preload it properly?

Mine is slightly worse than with no bushing at all, but by no means untolerable. When you install it, someone needs to be in the car with it in drive & their foot on the brake before you torque the bolt. Might want to try this b4 giving up completely. My 01 V70 drives far better with the IPD bushing than B4!

BTW, I have both the upper AND lower mount installed.

vantassell
Year and Model: 1998 V70 GLT
vantassell

Post by vantassell » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:27 pm

Sorry to dig up an old post, I just wanted to add to it for when someone searches.

I just installed a new poly upper engine mount and now I have 'barely' noticeable vibration. It's so slight that I doubt my wife noticed a change at all when she's driving. My engine feels a lot smother now (including shifts) but that's probably because of the placebo pill I took right after I installed it.

If you're having a lot of vibration you should probably check the other mounts and make sure they're still good. I was pretty worried when I looked at my upper engine mount, because I thought the rest of them would be in the same condition. As you can see, it was pretty trashed.
IMG_0884.jpg
The good part was I didn't need to use a hacksaw or anything to pull it out :)

tigmaned
Year and Model: blacked-out V70 04
tigmaned

Post by tigmaned » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:36 pm

i have a yellow powerflex set up i am not useing if anyone is looking?

marmau
Year and Model: S60R 2004
marmau

Post by marmau » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:19 pm

I noticed a slight increase in vibration - and i replaced all the uppers (either side of the strut brace and the top mount). It does get slightly annoying on certain days depending on atmospheric conditions and the way my motor is running. But i like the improvements more than enough to make up for it. Lower tranny mount is next - i hope that will stop the clunk i can hear with the windows down sometimes when i shift gears.

MARMAU - Seattle, WA
2004 S60R Six Speed Atacama Leather
Mods = IPD Polys (engine & tranny) and Daves Moose Decal!!
Next Up = IPD AMS, IPD ECU Upgrade w/Softloader, IPD Downpipe

*Gone But Not Forgotten*
1983 760GLE
1996 850T5

endothrow
Year and Model: S60 T5 2002
endothrow

Post by endothrow » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:25 am

I replaced mine with a poly upper engine mount after I found that the OEM mount was torn (although not noticeable). After fooling with old rubber piece for a while trying to remove it, I fitted a yellow poly bushing in and reinstalled everything. Started it up and the vibration was terrible. I thought that I could live with it, but I started hearing a "clunck" when I would accelerate. I attributed this to the amount of movement the new bushing allowed. After running it for a few weeks, I started to notice more of a grinding sound under the engine every time I pressed the gas.
Thinking I was doing damage to the other mounts, I purchased the OEM mount and installed and everything went back to normal. Since then I have replaced the upper torsion bar mounts as well as the transmission mount link. Next come the engine to frame mounts as I think that these were the most abused during the time I had the Poly mount.

2002 Volvo S60 T5- K&N, Royal Purple fluids, OBX DP, Iridium Spark