IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2001 V70 2.4T ATF simple Drain and Fill...

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

E170_Driver
Year and Model: bye V70 2.4T, 2001
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
E170_Driver

Volvo Repair Database 2001 V70 2.4T ATF simple Drain and Fill...

Post by E170_Driver » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:28 pm

[Note, 9/13/2019: I'm looking to replace these broken images. Do you have photos of a P2 drain and fill? If you do, please contact me -- [email protected]. Thank you! Matt]

Got 138,000 miles on the vehicle and going through the vehicle history provided by the dealership (I bought the car used at 92,000 miles) I can not find anything regarding the ATF. All the updates on the transmission have been done and the unit has been shifting normal ever since I have owned it. Changing the fluid was next on my list of preventative maintenance, especially since there is lots of talk about 2001 Volvo transmissions.
Once again, I did all the research I could do on the topic and made the decision to go with the Toyota Type IV ATF going with the simplified drain and fill method. We have a local dealership here in town with plenty of the fluid readily available and since there is not too much money coming into the pockets to our friends from Toyota I thought that would give them my business; the parts guy was actually surprised that I was not inquiring about another recall item.

My father in law helped me in the process and it surely made things easier.

I bought 14 qts of ATF for $75 and a long neck funnel for $2.99 from Auto Zone (make sure you get one with a very small opening).

In addition I already had a 10 qt oil drain pan (the image was taken after I drained the transmission the first time, it was clean and this is indeed the old ATF in the pan, not oil).

Tools required were a 9mm (for removing the lower plastic cover) and a 15/16 inch (for the transmission plug) socket wrench.

And of course one can not forget the ole milk jugs for calculating how much ATF you got out of the unit...and yes that is teflon tape wrapped around the one gallon jug for each quart, I had no marker in my entire house... :(

I first drove the car on the ramps and removed the lower engine cover.

And here it is off.

Next I identified the ATF dip stick...kinda tricky to find and watch out for hot engine parts when you just ran the vehicle...ouch. It is just to the left of the air filter dug verry deep down in the engine compartment, just below to the left of my hand one can see the yellow top of the dip stick.

A little closer...

I pulled the dip stick out and placed the funnel into place...kind a tight, but make sure you insert as much of the funnel end into the opening as you can and make sure it fits snug.

Next I crawled back under the car and found the plug. The transmission is located on the drivers side and the plug is on the right side of the unit. It faces towards the passenger side; unlike the engine oil plug which faces towards the back.

Next comes the fun part...I tried being extra careful by holding the drain pan right under the plug while unwinding it...and yes, lets have a big mess, the fluid comes shooting out like crazy. I had some towels protecting the floor, but what can I say...you see the mess on the picture.

Although not knowing what the history of this fluid was, it by no means did it look terrible. It had a reddish hue to it, but was certainly very dark in color. I was able to drain 4 1/3 qts outta the transmission and here are the two jugs with the ole stuff.

After I finger tightened the plug back into place, I filled 4 qts back into the transmission. I did not like the idea of only refilling 2 qts back into the unit and leaving some air pockets while running it.

I kept a good look at where the funnel was connected to the dip stick opening and sure enough the last quart went in very slowly, otherwise the fluid was backfilling out of the funnel/opening connection...one can see the ATF starting to come out. Be very patient with the last quart.

Here is what the funnel connected to the dip stick opening looks like from underneath the car; just looking for any fluid escaping the replenishment process.

I then replaced the funnel with the dipstick and had my father in law start the car while I inspected the transmission. He engaged R after 10 seconds and I noticed a jerk in the unit; he then engaged N, D, 4, 3 and L after 10 seconds in between and then reversed course with the same time interval, smooth as silk. He then repeated the process one more time for a total of 2 cycles from P to L and back to P (always 10 seconds in between shifts).

After shutting off the car, I attempted in draining the fluid a little more careful and voila, no spill and the ATF looked almost totally clean.

I only removed 3.5 qts on this drain and filled 3 qts back into the transmission (remember not to overfill the unit) and followed the above mentioned steps cycling through all the gears, except that this time we waited 1 minute before engaging R and sure enough we did not encounter the jerk from before. I was then able to examine the fluid drained out of the unit and found it to b almost flawless and decided that is it...job done, it cant get much clearer. I tightened the plug installed with a new washer and put the cover back on/or under.

I drove the car off the ramps to get an accurate reading from the dipstick and after a 15 mile test drive I found out that the quantity was right where it belonged when the fluid it HOT; even though I calculate that I replenished the system with 0.75 less qts than what I drained out. To be honest, not quite sure how much was in the system to begin with according to the dip stick.

I am taking 2 qts with me to Indianapolis tomorrow morning (250 miles) and check the fluid upon arrival, maybe a little earlier. But from the test drive, I can tell already that the transmission is shifting smoother, especially in the lower gears. I was recommended to do this preventative maintenance by several people and I am glad that I did.
As mentioned before, I am not a professional mechanic, but lots of research and reading (especially from this website) I can only recommend folks to be proactive about the life of their transmission, especially the dreaded 2001 models. I will keep you up to date on the drive when I return from my up coming trip; OK Philadelphia here we come, nothing but winter weather advisories...fun fun. Please add comments on what I could have done better, different or not at all.

BTW, I have 7 qts of TYPE IV left over, which the dealership told me I could return, great.

Jan
Former 2001 V70 2.4T owner

confused_al
Year and Model: 1996 TLA wagon
United States of America
confused_al

Re: 2001 V70 2.4T ATF simple Drain and Fill...

Post by confused_al » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:50 pm

Good job and nice pics! Just wondering if you plan to do another drain n fill again, like after 500 miles? The reason I ask is because you still have some old fluid left in the system after 1st drain n fill.
96 850 Platinum Wagon
98 MB ML320
06 V70
95 850 GLT(RIP)

E170_Driver
E170_Driver

Post by E170_Driver » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:52 pm

Well, I got 7 qts left over and the original thought was to do it in some time in the future. I did 2 drain and fills; by the second time I received almost crystal clear red fluid during the drain. So my question is, should I do another drain and fill when I return from this trip on Monday? I will have 500 extra miles on the car. I realize that can't get all the original fluid out of the transmission using this method, but the combination of the original stuff not being in bad shape to begin with and that I was able to drain so much fluid during the first drain lets me believe that I diluted the old fluid pretty good with the new stuff. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Jan

confused_al
United States of America
confused_al

Post by confused_al » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:59 am

E170_Driver wrote:So my question is, should I do another drain and fill when I return from this trip on Monday?
I would, when you do drain n fills the fluid in the torque converter will remain, which explains why only took 7 qts for 2 drain n fills yet will take 12 qts to flush. BTW, I am not saying you need a flush, I think it is wise to do drain n fills on these 01's trannies.
96 850 Platinum Wagon
98 MB ML320
06 V70
95 850 GLT(RIP)

E170_Driver
E170_Driver

Post by E170_Driver » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:10 am

I appreciate the information CONFUSED_AL. So when I shift through all the gears as we did after the first drain and fill (from P through L and back, twice with 10 second intervals inbetween), that does not cycle all the fluid through the transmission, even the stuff that is trapped behind the torque converter?
BTW, I had no issues driving to Indianapolis yesterday morning (250 miles). The shifting was nice and smooth; I even stopped 80 miles into the trip and checked my ATF on the dipstick; it was right on the HOT line. The drive in addition gave me some time to think as well and I came to the conclusion that with only completing 2 drain and fills, I should have 25% of the original fluid still remaining in the transmission. I will use the rest of the TYPE IV to do 2 more drain and fills when I come back on Monday and that would lower my percentage of the old ATF mixed in with the new stuff down to about 6%; that is a number I can live with.

Jan

Pauloil
Year and Model:
Pauloil

Post by Pauloil » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:28 am

i thought it was a bit odd that you stated the fluid was "almost totally clean" after one drain/fill. to really circulate and mix the fluid, I think you would have to get the tranny HOT and then go thru the gears to be sure and mix old and new fluid. If you have the fluid, do another drain fill after some time. Good job!!
99 V70XC 158K

95 850glt 188K

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America
Georgeandkira

Post by Georgeandkira » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:06 am

Hello, Posts on this subject begin with the assumption that shifting through the gears pumps new fluid to the valve body, displacing the old. That's cool-if it works. The question of how long to drive between "sump dumps" persists. What I'd like to know is; how fast does the torque converter's fluid go into the mix? Even if a cooling line is pulled; does the torque converter accept a flow of pumped fresh fluid? As an illustration: If you poured fresh water onto a completely brimmed glass bottle of sour milk; how effectively will you rinse out the original contents of that milk bottle? I've only seen a center hole/shaft insertion point on torque converters. Never have I seen a hole through which a TC drains. Do bubbles get trapped in the TC's toroidal shaped chamber, hence the warning against over-emptying the sump (the 2 qts. at a time instruction) ? I don't know. I am glad I drove >1860 miles before my third sump dump. The fluid was a bit more dirty than the second drain. Kira

E170_Driver
E170_Driver

Post by E170_Driver » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:56 pm

You are correct Kira,
I did indeed assumed by shifting through the gears slowly that all the fluid was going to be circulated through the entire transmission, including radiator. I did drive the vehicle before I started the drain and fill, because I wanted to make sure that the ATF fluid was up to temperature before removing it. After driving the vehicle for the first 80 miles yesterday morning, I checked the fluid and it was bright red on the dipstick. Regardless, once I get back home I will do another drain/fill and will report upon the color/condition of the ATF I am removing.
Any informtation if the fluid indeed circulates within the transmission while shifting through the gears after fillup would be appreciated.

Jan

confused_al
United States of America
confused_al

Post by confused_al » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:03 pm

Georgeandkira wrote:What I'd like to know is; how fast does the torque converter's fluid go into the mix? Even if a cooling line is pulled; does the torque converter accept a flow of pumped fresh fluid?
This is a great question I like to know too. When I was doing flush on my 850, after 2nd fill (5-6 qts into it), there was a stream of brownish fluid came out flowing relative clear fluid, then clear again until the 4th fill (10 qts in) another dirty stream came out. Its like the fluid circulated through different chambers in the process.
If I am not mistaken, JSW3309 Volvo ATF is synthetic but Toyota IV and Mobil 3309 are not. Mixed fluid is not very desirable IMO.
96 850 Platinum Wagon
98 MB ML320
06 V70
95 850 GLT(RIP)

Checksix
Year and Model: V70 T5 2001
United States of America
Checksix

Post by Checksix » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:28 pm

Confused_Al, The Volvo fluid is NOT synthetic. It is identical to the Mobil 3309 and Toyota Type IV.

Jerry
01 V70 T5a 175K miles on 3/2016
73 P1800ES 370K miles (RIP)
73 145 about 320K mile (gone with the "X" long ago)
59 Austin Healey Bugeye 2000cc Hemi 150HP
69 F100 (original owner) This truck will RUN FOREVER! (Sold for 2008 F250 diesel in 2013)