Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2001 S60 Auto Transmission trouble

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

machinit
Year and Model: 2001
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
machinit

Re: 2001 S60 Auto Transmission trouble

Post by machinit » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:50 pm

Sorry the car is a "pile of ________!

Worst vehicle I ever purchased and I won't give another dollar to Volvo. I've got a 1993 GMC Jimmy SE with 317,000 miles and the motor and transmission have never suffered any major mechanical failures and the cars have been used nearly in the same identical manner. The Volvo's tranny is done at 102,000 miles- to me thats totally unacceptable and then they want $5,700.00 for a replacement - they can kiss my caboose! :lol:

Retired MVS Contributor
Retired MVS Contributor

Post by Retired MVS Contributor » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:01 am

Due to medical reasons I have been off the internet and away from the computer for some time...I have some personal, unsubstantiated opinions on this thread issue...

I refuse to believe that ANY automobile manufacturer will have the driving public do their beta testing...They have test tracks and professional drivers for that...The consquenses of an accident on public highways is too high a price to pay, with lawsuits, possible loss of life, limb, and property, and damge to reputation all in the mix...

"I will never buy another one of their cars!!"...I my 80 years on this planet I have heard that said about just about every car on the road...Bad dealers and occasional lemons are a fact of life...That is no consolation for the victim...In this case, since he bought the car used, he got "taken" by the previous owner, who may have beat on the car...Besides, 140,000 miles on a transmission is not really too bad...There was a time not very long ago when that kind of mileage on the whole car was very unusual...One fact remains about Volvo...The venerable 240 was arguably one of the most reliable, durable cars ever built by anyone...

Volvo's market share is an indication of nothing...If it were, then how about Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Volkswagen, Kea, and several other low volume builders?...Mazerati?...Ferrari?...The number of cars sold is meaningless here...

Automobiles were a very small part of Volvo's inventory...They are a worldwide conglomerate building buses, trucks, heavy construction and farm equipment, ships, and jet engines, to name a few...

Concerning the "stop-neutral" issue, we should remember that, in the time slot we are talking about, Ford was calling the shots...I personally feel that if it was up to Volvo alone, the upgrades would have been made pronto at no cost to the customer...How long does it take to flash a computer chip?...

Jerry

JRL
Year and Model: Several
United States of America
JRL

Post by JRL » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:08 pm

C'mon
MASERATI
KIA (and since when is Kia a low volmie manufacurer?
If over 200,000 cars is low, OK then!
...and for 1999-2000 FORD WAS NOT CALLING THE SHOTS! They just had bought Volvo, these cars were designed and built by then.
and you also know damn well that there was no Ford influence until the 2004-1/2 S40

Your consistant opinion on this subject is and has been duly noted, your ignorance on this subject and your continued insistence is also noted.
VOLVO and VOLVO only designed and implemented the stop neutral software, they also designed their own transmission programming software both of which left total and utter destruction to most 2001 transmissions

2000 V70R Black, 144,000 miles Wife's R.
2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

Contact info for purchases: [email protected]

Retired MVS Contributor
Retired MVS Contributor

Post by Retired MVS Contributor » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:01 pm

I also refuse to believe that Volvo would have a used car dealer who makes it his life's work to trash the marque on several forums do "beta tests" for them...
Jerry

JRL
United States of America
JRL

Post by JRL » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:46 pm

I call it as I see it, why should that bother you?
I'm quite familiar with 2001s (and to some extent 2002s) and their pitfalls.

As for your statement, the engineers out at Rockleigh agree with me 99% of the time.
They are as frustrated with Volvo as many of us are!

Have you noticed that no Volvo dealer sells a 2001 anymore, even with low mileage?
If they get them on trade, they wholesale them.
I sell Volvos, I am an independant dealer not affilated with Volvo in any way. I generally like Volvos for what they are... a lot, but their past "engineering" (BIG grain of salt here), and their poor quality parts and switchgear has been very frustrating and infuriating at times to have the same parts fail over and over and over.........
They put out a product that did not have enough real world testing and/or fully tested engineering, then 200,000+ owners around the world have had to pay for their screw up.

The newer cars are much better...if they did this crap now, they would be completely out of business in a year!

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

randyman
Year and Model: S60 AWD 2002
randyman

Post by randyman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:33 pm

My 2002 S60 AWD mechanically has been very good. It has 125,000 on it. A MAP sensor, exhaust brackets, front/rear hubs, and a coil pack were replaced. The one thing I am unhappy about is the recent failure of my instrument cluster. I am fortunate to find a repair facility to repair it for 260.00 bucks. I however would not buy another one due to the poor traction in snow with the AWD system that is not even close to my BMW 530xi or my Audi A6. The torque steer from the front to rear drive as opposed to rear to front is a big issue, even with new mounts. The huge turning radius and poor fuel economy (27,24.5 mpg hwy) for the BMW and Audi vs. 21.5 for the S60. I can find faults in any car, these are mine for the S60. The up side is with the S60 I paid 1/3 less ($10,000) for the S60. Taking it from a cost vs. rewards angle I think I did well with the car. I only own AWD vehicles and have decided to not ever get another front to rear drive one again. Control is everything!

machinit
Year and Model: 2001
machinit

Post by machinit » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:11 pm

jerrymcc wrote:I also refuse to believe that Volvo would have a used car dealer who makes it his life's work to trash the marque on several forums do "beta tests" for them...
Jerry
Volvo's own lack of quality vehicles is "trashing their marque" :lol:

Retired MVS Contributor
Retired MVS Contributor

Post by Retired MVS Contributor » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:41 am

I have been away for some time (health) and my CTS is seriously limiting my computing...I will be asking Matt to remove me from his listing, but first some unfinished business...Sorry...

Machinit, you have been seriously wronged, but your analysis of Volvo defies history and Volvo's well known rep of safety and durabilty...You got jobbed and I will wager it was by a used car dealer...

It is significant to me that the "other" poster did not address my doubt that he did "beta testing" for Volvo...Instead, he launched a personal attack on me and my spelling...His continued reliance on insulting responses and crude (crappy) gutter language is his well known trade mark on the forums...I think that says something...I am not wrong just because he says so, he is wrong and knows it, thus his "best defense is a strong offense"...

Now he says that Ford did not take over Volvo until 2004...NOBODY believes that Ford spent more than a billion to buy the marque and then waited 5 years to take control...They bought Volvo in 1999 and put it into the "Premium Automotive Group" (PAG) along with Lincoln, Mercury, Aston Martin, Jaguar, and Land Rover...In 2002 they pulled Lincoln and Mercury back into the parent fold and then sold Astin Martin because PAG was not working out...When Alan Mulally came over from Boeing he decided to disband PAG...They decided to keep Volvo, upgrade it's market place, and then sold Jaguar and Land Rover...
They realized that Volvo was competing with Lincoln in price range and that made no sense so they decided to sell it, too...In the time slot that Ford owned Volvo, several Ford cars were built on Volvo platforms...That may still be the case...

The Swedish government got involved in trying to save Volvo to stop plant closings and unemployment in Sweden...It was suggested that Volvo AB truck and bus division buy Volvo cars, but Volvo AB was not interested in major ownership and backed out...Volvo was sold in 2010, after several years of negotiating, to Zhejang-Geely headquartered in Hangzhou, China...That is where we are today...

New car dealers are not interested in taking old cars in trade and try to limit their trade-ins to late models...2001's and 2002's are over 10 years old...That, and that alone is why you will not see 2001 and 2002's on new car dealer's lots...

Matt, you have the best forum on the internet...Too bad you have a couple of spoilers, myself included...Please delete me from it...

My advice to the rest of the members, "Never argue with an idiot...He will drag you down to his level and then beat you with experience"...

Jerry

JRL
United States of America
JRL

Post by JRL » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:44 am

It's a shame you can't read.
I said the first car that HAS FORD INFLUENCE is the 2004-1/2 S40-V50
We all know they bought Volvo in 99 but the P2 was cast in stone by then and came out in 2000, (1999 if you count the awful 1999-2001 S80s)
Just like Geely took over Volvo last year, Geely and the Chinese have NOTHING to do with the current crop of Volvos and won't until the next generation of Volvo come to market.
As the car went into midlife I'm sure Ford helped it become better (I never really asked anyone) but the general platform was already there.
The 04 platform is also shared by Ford and Mazda.

I hope your hands get better...

and now if you would like to call Rockleigh, I would be most happy to give you the name of the Volvo (now head) engineer who I was working with so you can be satisfied that what I said happened.

DON'T EVER CALL ME A LIAR, I WILL SAY THIS ONLY ONCE

I helped them work on suspension bushings for early 98 XCs, the 01 stop neutral removal and a major ECU reflash (Came out January, 2004) for early production 2004 Rs.
On that one I had a flight recorder hooked up for over a month, driving and pushing buttons.
Wires all over the interior of MY car just to help everyone (myself included) getting these things to run properly!
Last edited by JRL on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

jda2000
Year and Model: 04 V70 2.5T 01 V70T5
jda2000

Post by jda2000 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:09 am

OK boys settle down.

Jim, Jerry both of you GO TO YOUR ROOMS :lol: