IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2001 S60 Auto Transmission trouble

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

priapism
Year and Model: 01 S60
Has thanked: 0
priapism

Re: 2001 S60 Auto Transmission trouble

Post by priapism » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:52 am

Don't make me stop this car!

Titan LE : S60 2.4t : 91 325i : Spec E30 #33

JRL
Year and Model: Several
United States of America
JRL

Post by JRL » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:44 pm

priapism wrote:Don't make me stop this car!
???????????????????????

2000 V70R Black, 144,000 miles Wife's R.
2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

Contact info for purchases: [email protected]

EstVolvo
Year and Model: 2000 V70
Estonia
EstVolvo

Post by EstVolvo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 pm

"I also refuse to believe that Volvo would have a used car dealer who makes it his life's work to trash the marque on several forums do "beta tests" for them...
Jerry"

But if it is true, and they had him to do "beta tests" - I like it.
At least one person who speaks out without covering up unlike the Volvo management, PR department, service departments and rest of the people involved in total fraud.

EstVolvo
Year and Model: 2000 V70
Estonia
EstVolvo

Post by EstVolvo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:07 pm

To Jerry
I remember seeing an add in German car magazine - Auto Bild where Saab was looking for regular people with high yearly mileage to test Saabs.
Many car manufacturers are using German autobahns to test their cars.

priapism
Year and Model: 01 S60
priapism

Post by priapism » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:43 pm

JRL wrote:
priapism wrote:Don't make me stop this car!
???????????????????????
That's what parents say to their kids when they fight in the car.

I'm trying to make a funny. Guess it didn't work.

Titan LE : S60 2.4t : 91 325i : Spec E30 #33

JRL
Year and Model: Several
United States of America
JRL

Post by JRL » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:27 pm

Nope :D

2000 V70R Black, 144,000 miles Wife's R.
2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

Contact info for purchases: [email protected]

jadnhm
Year and Model: 2008 XC70
Been thanked: 0
Canada
jadnhm

Post by jadnhm » Thu May 05, 2011 6:38 am

It seems the thread can be surmised like this:

The transmission itself (the mechanical pieces) is pretty good, as evidenced by its use in many other cars (Toyotas, GMs, etc) including later Volvos which don't have the same problems.

The transmission software, specifically the Neutral-Control / Stop-Neutral function, seems to be to blame along with a particular set of driving habits (as yet unspecified) and probably poor/no fluid maintenance (which seems to be a common thread amongst all modern era Volvos - basically since they started using Aisin transmissions and claiming 'lifetime' trans fluid).

The offending function has been disabled by a software update on many cars, but some remain un-updated, probably because the owners never complained to their dealer about any symptoms (which seems to be the trigger for getting the update installed).

Un-updated cars and cars that were updated after many miles of driving with the feature enabled (as they came from the factory) may have some type of internal damage, though no one has specified what that damage might be yet.

The OP seems to be having an emotional reaction to the situation rather than a logical one, but no one really blames him for it do we? It's a pretty bad situation.

It does seem to be pretty common advice on this forum and others to stay far away from 1999-2002 Volvos with particular emphasis on the 2001 MY, regardless of model.

Other notes :
- be careful not to pull any bolts to facilitate trans fluid refill - the bolts hold internal components to the housing and you will likely not be able to reattach things without rebuilding the trans.

- stay on top of fluid maintenance. 4sp trans takes DEX-III, 5sp takes 3309. Lots of info on the forums about fluid choices.

- ask your dealer for recalls and TSBs and software updates every time you see them and probably every couple of years if you're not seeing them.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:08 am

more or less correct. I will add: the AW55-50 gearbox has issues in other car makes using it in the same early 2000's time frame. Solenoid improvements, band apply servo improvements, and spool valves in valve body improvements.
Volvo dealers finding problems with these gearboxes MUST run a coolant detection test using a test strip dipped in a sample of the oil from the sump of gearbox. Radiator cooler failures have led to many failures and if coolant is detected the radiator must be replaced in addition to the gearbox.
In the opinion of Volvo, many neutral control complaints and problems were caused by solenoid that would not move freely through its full travel and do the release of the clutch to gain true neutral position. The concept of neutral control to reduce engine load while sitting still in traffic was to reduce the pressure on the clutch apply piston to less than a Bar. This would release clutch but not let the hydraulic circuit drain so clutch could be engaged in a fraction of a second and with no harsh engagement. If the solenoid is binding and the fluid pressure fluctuates the clutch jerks and wears out. If the fluid is coolant poisoned lots of ugly things happen. The radiator problem added to the failures on volvos. Other makes did not have the radiator issues.

jadnhm
Year and Model: 2008 XC70
Canada
jadnhm

Post by jadnhm » Thu May 05, 2011 8:33 am

Aha! Coolant contamination makes SO MUCH SENSE!

I remember the infamous Freya had radiator/coolant problems combined with trans problems and I recommended to her that they were related.

So other makers had problems and you're saying the internals actually /were/ incrementally improved over the years?

The coolant contamination/radiator failures would account for the difference between the failure rates on Volvos vs other makes all by itself.

Combine that with the neutral-control software problems and the ridiculous lifetime fluid recommendation and you've got yourself a perfect storm for high failure rates.

Is the purported solenoid binding problem you spoke of related to the trans fluid contamination? or are the solenoids not lubricated by the trans fluid (ie: outside the housing)?

machinit
Year and Model: 2001
machinit

Post by machinit » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:07 am

"The OP seems to be having an emotional reaction to the situation rather than a logical one, but no one really blames him for it do we? It's a pretty bad situation."

This might be your opinion in which your entitled but with all do respect when a situation such as this occurs and the manufacturer emphatically denies any problems and literally ignores the widespread problems associated, this will raise the frustration of most consumers.

As an update, I purchased a BMW 330i that is a dream to drive! I love the car and while it feels smaller than the S60 (2001) it's superior (IMO) to the S60 in many ways.

I still have the 2001 S60 although it's been parked in my driveway while I still decide on what the next step will be. I'm trying to establish and research if the failed tranny can be rebuilt. I've tried to discuss this possibility with reputable ASE Certified shops and continually get varying opinions and information.

I've moved on.