IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Let's change the fuel pump on a 2004 XC70

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

hlar51
Year and Model: 2001 v70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
hlar51

Re: Let's change the fuel pump on a 2004 XC70

Post by hlar51 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:22 pm

Excellent posts guys. I have a 2001 V70 that I replaced the fuel pump in a few weeks ago. The method was exactly the same. My problem, however, is now my fuel gauge is off. It reads a half a tank "all the time". I know the sending unit on the drivers side is not in the proper position but I cant quite remember how it came out. ( was the float lever facing the front of the car or was it facing the rear). I have been keeping track of my mileage and adding gas as I think I'm getting close to running out but that is getting old. Anyone out there with the answer to this? Car runs great, no other issues. Just want it to be right.
Thanks

Mcleayrd
Year and Model: XC70 2006
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Canada
Mcleayrd

Post by Mcleayrd » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:05 pm

How did I get the electrical connection off of the top of the pump when its still in the car --i have everything exposed and can't seem to find the solution to removal of this part--Just put a new rad in my 2006 XC70 yesterday and have few more projects -the engine is running rough and stalling so time to fix a broken/frayed wire on the top of my pump-- looks like a ground wire -white and heavy and worn thru by rubbing on the top metal cover.
Cheers
Bob

bleubistro
Year and Model: 2006 XC70
United States of America
bleubistro

Post by bleubistro » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:14 pm

None of the pictures are showing on this DIY...I just see little question mark icons...anyone know what's up?

goldxc70
Year and Model: XC70 2004
Canada
goldxc70

Post by goldxc70 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:37 pm

On forums like this, storage space for images is often limited, either on site in total, or for individual users. Posts in older posts disappear as users upload more recent images. For this job, the written instructions are good enough as the job is not that tricky.
These users thanked the author goldxc70 for the post:
bleubistro

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:11 am

Matt is probably still relinking pictures from the server switch of the past few days.

Patience, Grasshopper.
These users thanked the author abscate for the post:
bleubistro

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

ndphotonl
Year and Model: S80 2.4T Wasa
Netherlands
ndphotonl

Post by ndphotonl » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:12 pm

The pictures are visible btw :)
These users thanked the author ndphotonl for the post:
bleubistro

Volvo S80 2.4T Wasa Limited Edition
Blog / FlickR / YouTube channel

bleubistro
United States of America
bleubistro

Post by bleubistro » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:38 pm

Yes! The pictures are back. :)

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:48 pm

😀 This was the reason for the broken photos. Thanks for your patience guys.

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

ndphotonl
Year and Model: S80 2.4T Wasa
Netherlands
ndphotonl

Post by ndphotonl » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:56 pm

I also tried with a home made tool, but failed. I also tried tapping the ring (which worked in other cars before), but this also failed.

Bought a special tool and was able to get it the ring loose in seconds...

ImageVolvo S80 2.4T Replacing the Fuel Pump by Andy Ramdin, on Flickr

It was very dusty under there...

The original pump was still there. Replaced it with a Meat & Doria pump

Volvo S80 2.4T Wasa Limited Edition
Blog / FlickR / YouTube channel

bleubistro
United States of America
bleubistro

Post by bleubistro » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:19 am

Hi guys,

I am just about to embark on this adventure today, and thought of a question I'm hoping someone can help with... Here's my status:

So far I have everything removed and exposed, with both covers off. Yesterday, I made a homemade 4-inch ABS pipe "special tool" and it worked beautifully to remove the ring on the drivers side. Thanks for that excellent idea! I took off the cover on the drivers side and popped it up slightly to allow me to siphon out most of the fuel in the tank.

When I looked inside the drivers side access port, I was surprised that the suction pickup (white plastic piece on the end of the black suction line) was not attached to the floor of the tank or to the bottom of the cover apparatus. I am a little confused by this section in the original post:

"Hard to describe, but you will see it when you pull the cover up on that side. Here is what you are pulling up (sitting upside down in the photo). At the end of the suction line is a plastic piece which fixes on the bottom of that piece. Obvious when you see it, but hard to describe."

My question is: Is this white plastic suction piece supposed to be attached to the bottom of the cover apparatus, or to the bottom of the tank in some way? Is it really supposed to be loose, just sitting in the tank?

Thanks for any help

**Update - 7/7/19

I completed the fuel pump replacement yesterday, and this appears to have solved my problem of the car dying intermittently once fuel level dropped below half tank. Success!!

In completing the project, I answered my own question from above. Looking at it more closely, it was clear that the white suction pickup near the end of the black suction line that extends over to the drivers side fits onto the bottom of the drivers side cover apparatus/fuel level sensor. Specifically, it slides into the rectangular slot in the bottom of the cover and snaps into place. Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos of this, but that was clearly one problem I had, because as I mentioned, it was loose when I first accessed the drivers side port.

Otherwise, the instructions in this post worked beautifully. Getting the old pump out was a bit difficult because the black tube that runs up the side of the pump housing had come loose in the tank and was sticking out sideways. I had to bend this enough to kink it to get it out of the opening. The black tube I'm referring to here is one of the two lines which run over to the drivers side. It runs up the outside of the pump housing, ending with a short 90 degree elbow at the top of the plastic pump housing. It just snaps into a groove in the outside of the pump housing, and I found that it can pop out of this groove rather easily when I was installing the new pump. The fact that this was loose was likely contributing to my problem, and I found I had to be very careful when inserting the new pump in order not to have this pipe come loose.

I used the "messenger line" approach in the following way, and it worked perfectly with no hangups or difficulties. I tied my line to the looped end of the black suction line on the drivers side just before removing the old pump. Obviously, at this point the drivers side level sender/cover was removed and the wire was disconnected. I had also removed the retaining ring from the fuel pump side and disconnected both fuel lines and the electrical plug. Once the line was securely tied to the loop on the drivers side, I removed the old pump (a bit tricky, but came out ok by slowly working it from side to side). I put the old pump into a rubbermaid tub as suggested in the post. There was a little bit of dripping as I pulled the black suction line through to the passenger side and then untied the messenger line. At this point, I took the tub containing the old pump and black suction line out of the car. In re-inserting the new pump, I took care to have it oriented properly, then tied the messenger line to the loop in the black suction line. I slowly inserted the black line into the passenger side port while gently pulling it with the messenger line from the drivers side. This required climbing/leaning into the car a bit in order to reach both sides. I found that the messenger line easily pulled the black line over to the drivers side port with no difficulties. I then worked on getting the new pump inserted and in position before making any connections on the drivers side.

A couple of other notes that may help others:

I had to push the two fuel lines out of the way, into the space between the fuel tank and the car body in order to get the new pump inserted. At first I was worried they would be hard to fish back out of this space, but they seem to be fixed in place fairly well. The challenge was keeping them from popping back out and getting in the way of the new pump as I inserted it.

The ball float flummoxed me briefly as I inserted the new pump. It seems to be just in the way with no obvious way to get it to fit into the hole as you slide in the new pump. The method I used was to push it down a bit so that the ball popped down below the bottom of the pump in order to get it through the hole. Once the ball float and bottom of the pump were through the hole, it popped back out into its normal position. The fuel gauge appears to be working properly, so this seems to have worked fine.

Lastly, I've added the few pictures I remembered to take in hopes they may help others who are tackling this project. Thanks so much to everyone who has shared their experience! This has helped me solve a vexing issue with my XC70!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bleubistro on Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:52 am, edited 4 times in total.