IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Recommended Windshield Sun Shade: Intro-Tech Ultimate Reflector

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

JNavas
Year and Model: 2008 S60 2.5T
United States of America
JNavas

Recommended Windshield Sun Shade: Intro-Tech Ultimate Reflector

Post by JNavas » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:04 am

I'd never used a windshield sun shade before -- the cheap ones I'd seen looked tacky and ineffective -- but the 2008 S60 2.5T that I purchased used came with one from the prior owner, so I decided to give it a try. Even though the sun shade was generic and too short for the S60, I was surprised by how effective it was, so I set about seeing what better options might be available, and decided I wanted:
  • Custom fit to my S60, rather than "universal" fit.
  • Folding rather than rolling, for stiffness when installed, and for ease of installation, removal and storage.
  • Storage bag to protect it when not in use.
I narrowed my choices to two top brands: After careful evaluation I decided to go with Intro-Tech for the following reasons:
  1. Storage bag included (extra cost option with Covercraft)
  2. Less expensive (even as compared to Covercraft without storage bag)
  3. Comparable quality
  4. Fast shipment and delivery
The best price for Intro-Tech I found was on eBay for the Custom Premium model (almost as good), and the seller would upgrade orders to Ultimate Reflector for an additional charge if asked. (The primary advantage of the Ultimate Reflector to me is reversibility to a carbon color for winter use.) My order shipped promptly, and I'm delighted with the product:
  • Quality and fit are very good
  • Installation and removal are very easy
  • Storage bag is high quality
Bottom line: Highly recommended.

Stock photo of reflective side for summer

Stock photo of carbon side for winter

Folded in storage bag
Hope that helps,
John
2008 Volvo S60 2.5T (black with oak interior)

tmcmilli
Year and Model: 2002 V70 XC
Has thanked: 0
tmcmilli

Re: Recommended Windshield Sun Shade: Intro-Tech Ultimate Reflector

Post by tmcmilli » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:44 pm

I for one appreciate the recommendation as I use a reflector from spring until early fall in the Mid Atlantic area of the US. Mine is whatever oversized reflector I can find that folds and is rigid enough to hold in place sufficiently by tucking the top under the sun visors. Even though I had window tint added to the side rear windows and tailgate window, and I have a light colored (oak) interior, it still gets pretty hot from late spring to early fall even with all of the windows left slightly open when it's parked in the sun.

But I'm curious looking at the stock photos, how well does this thing stay in place in terms of laying fairly flat against the window? And does it have any means other than using the sun visors to help hold it in place? The photos seem to be very misleading (like any staged photo of any product can be) because they show the reflector seemingly sticking nearly flat to the window, especially the photo showing the carbon side. Unless that thing has suction cups or some other supplemental means to hold it against the window, I can't believe that it sticks that flat. So in terms of real world application/experience, what holds it in place and keeps the sagging to a minimum? Just the sun visors? (which again is how I hold mine in place and it works well enough)

If it has some additional means of securing it in place which isn't a chore to deal with, I might be interested in trying one. Thanks again.

JNavas
Year and Model: 2008 S60 2.5T
United States of America
JNavas

Post by JNavas » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:29 pm

My Intro-Tech Ultimate Reflector fits tightly enough that it can stay in place without any support other than sides against A pillars, but it does sag in the middle that way, and works best when held with the sun visors, as you can see in these actual photos of my 2008 S60 2.5T:

Supported only by sides against A pillars, carbon side in

Supported by sun visors, carbon side in

Reflective side out
Hope that helps,
John
2008 Volvo S60 2.5T (black with oak interior)

tmcmilli
Year and Model: 2002 V70 XC
Has thanked: 0
tmcmilli

Post by tmcmilli » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:22 am

That looks really nice, really good fit. I like it. Thanks for posting the pics.