drivetrain noise and diagnosis help

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive P2 platform cars sold as model years 2001-2007 (North American market year designations).

2001 - 2007 V70
2001 - 2004 V70 XC (Cross Country)
2004 - 2007 XC70 (Cross Country)
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
2004 - 2007 V70 R

nuggetville
Year and Model: 2001 v70xc

drivetrain noise and diagnosis help

Post by nuggetville »

I was doing a u-turn and heard a loud pop/bang, thought I ran over something. Did not.
As I approached 30mph a buzzing/whirring noise started. Almost thought I ran over something and it got stuck rubbing the tire.

Sound seems to come from front left. I had recently swapped the cv boots as part of a front end refresh, new right side half shaft.
I saw some grease escaped from the new boot [bad design] so I swapped the axle with a new part, noise stays.

I put it on 4 jack stands and have the following outcomes:
IN NEUTRAL ALL WHEELS FREE
Left Front forward and backward
no driveshaft movement; no Right Front movement; no Rear tire movement
Right Front forward and backward
no driveshaft movement; no Left Front movement; no Rear tire movement

IN PARK ALL WHEELS FREE
Left Front forward and backward
Right Front opposite spin [expected]; no Rear tire movement; no driveshaft movement
Right Front forward and backward
Left Front opposite spin [expected]; no Rear tire movement; no driveshaft movement

IN PARK OR NEUTRAL ALL WHEELS FREE
Left Rear forward
no driveshaft movement; no Right Rear movement; no Front tire movement
Right Rear forward
no driveshaft movement; no Left Rear movement; no Front tire movement
Left Rear backward
driveshaft spin towards passenger side from top; no Right Rear movement; no Front tire movement
Right Rear backward
driveshaft spin towards passenger side from top; no Left Rear movement; no Front tire movement

Driveshaft can be spun with all wheels unlocked/locked to towards passenger side from top
Driveshaft cannot be spun with all wheels unlocked/locked towards driver side from top

I suspect I lost both the differential in the rear [viscous coupler?] and the bevel gear or its coupler.
I suspect the drive shaft is possibly ok, as the seals on the cv's look ok.

I intend to remove the drive shaft and make it a fwd, but am afraid there may be damage to trans or trans diff?
If needed I assume I can remove the bevel gear and bearings and keep the housing and seals? Assume it needs gear oil to not rust the shafts?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

nuggetville
Year and Model: 2001 v70xc

Post by nuggetville »

So in the interest of helping others, I will reply to my own post with what went down.
The bevel gear and sleeve were both stripped.
The rear diff is suspected bad as well, but I did not remove it.

I removed the drive-shaft, and as it freely spun, I needed the volvo tool. I made one.
Cut out a cardboard around the needed shape [like a Y] and tap on the socket head screws to indicate where the holes are needed.
Lay this template on a piece of steel, and punch through the middle of the impressions to mark hole locations on the metal [I used 1/4 in plate steel]
drill them with a 1/2" drill, cut out the rest with a plasma cutter or other grinder/saw. [2 pictures]
wrench.jpg
cutout.jpg
I also had to remove the bevel gear and the sleeve and bevel spline were both stripped.
I decided to keep the bevel gear out of the car. I was worried the sleeve would come out, but it did not budge and likely would have to be forcibly removed. I added an insurance policy of a small bracket that uses a bevel gear bolt hole, and extends over the edge of the sleeve. If it slips, I should hear the grinding, and know im in trouble. I have a few hundred miles so far without issue.

I am still debating removing the diff, or some of its innards..

hope it helps someone else.

kevplank
Year and Model: V70 XC 2001

Post by kevplank »

Did you replace the bevel gear and sleeve? What you're describing is exactly what mine is sounding like. I don't seem to have any issues with the axle however. I just get this sound (almost like something rubbing on plastic) when I get up to about 30 mph I start hearing it. Then slowing down it gets louder and slows down as the speed of the car slows. It has me perplexed. If I can replace the bevel gear I'll just do that, but I don't want to dig into it until I can figure out where it's coming from. I'm hoping it's just a drive shaft bearing. Thoughts?

cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T

Post by cn90 »

The original thread is from Jan 2016.

I have the exact same issue (Volvo dealer lifted the car up, run the engine in D, stethoscope placed on angle gear = diagnosis of stripped sleeve).

I elected to leave it alone, eventually the stripped sleeve will be..."stripped" and my 2005 XC90 2.5T with 115K is now FWD anyway. No issues. The droning noise will be gone in 1 year, after the sleeve is completely stripped.

Another reason I don't want to fix the sleeve is that:
- I have a dedicated set of winter tires.
- Even if you install a new sleeve, there is no warranty it will not be bad again. Just bad engineering.

I have a 2006 BMW X5 3.0i, the xDrive in BMW is fantastic. The Volvo AWD system is pathetic.
2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base

Post by Georgeandkira »

There's nothing an AWD Volvo owner can do to preserve this sleeve?
Really shoddy stuff.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90

Post by SuperHerman »

Sleeve is designed to be a weak point. It is a wear item, but an expensive one. Just fix it and have a fully functional car.

cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T

Post by cn90 »

No the sleeve is an engineering afterthought.
Just bad engineering.
Very few AWD cars have this problem.
2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+