IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2002 V70 XC long cranks, leaking fuel tank

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

appleguru
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:44 am
Year and Model: 2002 V70 XC
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
appleguru

2002 V70 XC long cranks, leaking fuel tank

Post by appleguru » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:50 am

Have a 2002 V70 XC with just over 200,000 miles on it...

Been having really long cranks to start it recently, and been noticing a fuel smell by the exterior rear passenger side of the car.

Replaced the fuel filter last night (for what appears to be the first time), and noticed fuel on the bottom of the tank, near the filter. None on the filter itself, or hoses going to the filter though.

Any tips for identifying where the leak is coming from and fixing the issue?

See attached for what my phone camera saw when I stuck it above the tank by the filter (not sure if it helps at all).
Attachments
image.png



User avatar
phils94850
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:14 am
Year and Model: 2009 s60 turbo
Location: Indiana
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
phils94850

Re: 2002 V70 XC long cranks, leaking fuel tank

Post by phils94850 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:21 am

Welcome to MVS !!

If your having long cranking issues could be several things. A lot of times its due to your fuel pump not holding pressure after the car is shut off and it sits. There is a check valve in the fuel pump assy. that is suppose to do this. I would first put a fuel pressure gauge on it and run it and then shut it off and let it sit. Then I would turn the key on and see what the pressure jumps to it could be a weak pump as well.

As far as your fuel leak it could be a leaking fuel pump seal, leaking filler, I would do some research maybe even call Volvo and talk to the service dept and ask if your model and year was under a recall they had for the fuel tanks leaking. I had a Volvo fixed for free for a leak that way :)


1996 Platinum Edition

appleguru
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:44 am
Year and Model: 2002 V70 XC
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
appleguru

Re: 2002 V70 XC long cranks, leaking fuel tank

Post by appleguru » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:54 am

phils94850 wrote:Welcome to MVS !!

If your having long cranking issues could be several things. A lot of times its due to your fuel pump not holding pressure after the car is shut off and it sits. There is a check valve in the fuel pump assy. that is suppose to do this. I would first put a fuel pressure gauge on it and run it and then shut it off and let it sit. Then I would turn the key on and see what the pressure jumps to it could be a weak pump as well.

As far as your fuel leak it could be a leaking fuel pump seal, leaking filler, I would do some research maybe even call Volvo and talk to the service dept and ask if your model and year was under a recall they had for the fuel tanks leaking. I had a Volvo fixed for free for a leak that way :)
Certainly looks like this recall should apply: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/probl ... mmary=true

However, I'm in MA.The recall only lists "AL, AZ, AR, CA, FL, GA, HI, KY, LA, MS, NV, NM, NC, OK, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA AND THE US TERRITORIES", and calling a local dealership confirms that my VIN currently does not have any active recalls for it.

How in the heck did they get away with a regional recall? Either the part is defective or it's not! I have an appointment scheduled for Thursday AM; will bring the car in and see if they can confirm the issue. If it is indeed the fuel pump flange leaking, I'm going to press them pretty hard to fix this free of charge.

RE the slow cranks... Doesn't seem to always happen after the car sits for a while.. seems random TBH. Sometimes it sits overnight or even for a few days and will start right up. Other times, it will only sit for a few minutes and take a while to turn over... Other times, the exact opposite applies. Maybe I should start logging some data on my startups, see if I can identify a pattern? (Fuel level, paring angle, temperature, how long the car has been sitting, etc... Any other variables that may be useful to track?



User avatar
phils94850
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:14 am
Year and Model: 2009 s60 turbo
Location: Indiana
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
phils94850

Re: 2002 V70 XC long cranks, leaking fuel tank

Post by phils94850 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:08 am

An easy way to figure it out is put a fuel gauge on it and watch the fuel pressure with the key on, engine running, and as it sits engine off


1996 Platinum Edition

nsjames
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:50 am
Year and Model: 04 XC70
Location: ohio
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
nsjames

Re: 2002 V70 XC long cranks, leaking fuel tank

Post by nsjames » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:25 am

appleguru wrote:
phils94850 wrote: However, I'm in MA.The recall only lists "AL, AZ, AR, CA, FL, GA, HI, KY, LA, MS, NV, NM, NC, OK, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA AND THE US TERRITORIES", and calling a local dealership confirms that my VIN currently does not have any active recalls for it.

How in the heck did they get away with a regional recall? Either the part is defective or it's not! I have an appointment scheduled for Thursday AM; will bring the car in and see if they can confirm the issue. If it is indeed the fuel pump flange leaking, I'm going to press them pretty hard to fix this free of charge.

RE the slow cranks... Doesn't seem to always happen after the car sits for a while.. seems random TBH. Sometimes it sits overnight or even for a few days and will start right up. Other times, it will only sit for a few minutes and take a while to turn over... Other times, the exact opposite applies. Maybe I should start logging some data on my startups, see if I can identify a pattern? (Fuel level, paring angle, temperature, how long the car has been sitting, etc... Any other variables that may be useful to track?
regional recall because the plastic failed most often in hot climates.

check injectors, sometimes an intermittent fuel leakdown is from an injector sticking open and dribbling into the cylinder.
Any smoke at startup?



User avatar
JudgeRat
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:55 pm
Year and Model: s60 2004
Location: Midwest
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0
Switzerland
JudgeRat

Re: 2002 V70 XC long cranks, leaking fuel tank

Post by JudgeRat » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:28 am

appleguru wrote: Certainly looks like this recall should apply: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/probl ... mmary=true

However, I'm in MA.The recall only lists "AL, AZ, AR, CA, FL, GA, HI, KY, LA, MS, NV, NM, NC, OK, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA AND THE US TERRITORIES", and calling a local dealership confirms that my VIN currently does not have any active recalls for it.

How in the heck did they get away with a regional recall? Either the part is defective or it's not! I have an appointment scheduled for Thursday AM; will bring the car in and see if they can confirm the issue. If it is indeed the fuel pump flange leaking, I'm going to press them pretty hard to fix this free of charge.
Recalls are normally VIN based and sometimes regionally based on where the car was originally delivered. The reason for the regional ones is because sometimes only those vehicles in those areas are affected by a particular set of environmental (weather, gasoline quality, legislative, emissions requirements, etc.) conditions.


"Molly" - Black 2004 2.4L i5 (non-turbo) T5 Auto FWD P2 Volvo s60 w/all options

Old-school race guy: "Brakes 1st, then steering, tires, wheels, & suspension, only then engine and drive-train. No sense making it go if you can't stop & steer properly...Safety first people!"

User avatar
abscate
MVS Moderator
Posts: 17313
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Location: NYC, ALBANY NY
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 558 times
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: 2002 V70 XC long cranks, leaking fuel tank

Post by abscate » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:24 am

You actually get different warranties based on VIN, with PZEV being the most notorious.


1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
6 Perfect Ladies in waiting
7 Drivers
8 Boats- with a big pointy metal thing on top

1999 V70 T5M 56 2005 V70 NA M56 VWs BMW

appleguru
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:44 am
Year and Model: 2002 V70 XC
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
appleguru

Re: 2002 V70 XC long cranks, leaking fuel tank

Post by appleguru » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:54 pm

phils94850 wrote:An easy way to figure it out is put a fuel gauge on it and watch the fuel pressure with the key on, engine running, and as it sits engine off
Never done this before, any links/walkthroughs? Is a fuel pressure gauge something I would buy, rent or borrow?



nsjames
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:50 am
Year and Model: 04 XC70
Location: ohio
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
nsjames

Re: 2002 V70 XC long cranks, leaking fuel tank

Post by nsjames » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:24 pm

you can get the gauge and adapters at autozone for rental.
http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/fu ... nostic-kit

you'll have to put down a $150 deposit.



appleguru
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:44 am
Year and Model: 2002 V70 XC
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
appleguru

Re: 2002 V70 XC long cranks, leaking fuel tank

Post by appleguru » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:36 pm

Thanks. Looks like its definitely leaking from the fuel pump. Trying to see if I can get VoA to cover it under the recall.

If I end up having to do this job myself, is there a good tutorial somewhere (including the parts and tools I'd need to do the job properly)?

Dealership also recommended I replace the fuel sender at the same time as the pump, though that seems unnecessary to me? Any suggestions?



Post Reply