IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

New member, avid DIY'er now with two XC's

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

terryjr
Year and Model: 06 XC90 - 04 XC70
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
terryjr

New member, avid DIY'er now with two XC's

Post by terryjr » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:22 am

Hi I'm terry. A year ago I bought an 06 XC90 for thew wife to replace our MPV. It's been a decent car but has had its quirks, nothing I'm not used to since I've had a Land Rover. Then this year to replace my "modified" Forester as a daily driver, I bought an 04 XC70.

The XC90 i bought pretty much ready to roll, it's in need of a PCV cleaning, currently giving me P0101 and P0701 codes which i think are injectors so i added some injectors cleaner yesterday, changed MAF last week. I had the little power steering crossover lines blow out the seals which i fixed easily with two new orings. The cam seals leak pretty good. The tailgate handle is sticky and i get the Anti-Skid service required after a lot of rain, but it has come around in a while. Other than that its been good. Near future plans for it now that i have the 70 is to pull it apart for another timing belt change along with seals and a pcv cleaning. Currently at 158k miles

The XC70 i bought last thursday. It was advertised as needing a transfer case/bevel gear. I looked into and thought it could be that or the coupler so I went and looked at it, overall its in good shape, brand new continetal tires, HID headlights, "third row", 125k miles and engine sounds great. So I bought it, had it towed home and I climbed under there Saturday and pulled the bevel gear out, the pinion bearings are shot. I called my local salvage yard and told them I'm coming over for the Transfer case they have in stock. I managed to get it out without removing the downpipe which was one of my objectives. After several different attempts with various wrenches to reach the driveshaft bolts, i found a combination with my air ratchet and removing the plate under the exhaust hangers that made easier work of it.
Near future plans for the XC70 is to install the bevel gear, figure out the idle engine vibe (suspecting the looks like new poly bushing in the front) and get its timing belt changed, old owner says its original. I just looked online and my local autoparts has a Dayco kit in stock, so maybe I'll do the TB and the bevel gear at the same time

terryjr
United States of America
terryjr

Re: New member, avid DIY'er now with two XC's

Post by terryjr » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:37 am

I went ahead and removed the timing belt on the XC70 last night, the only hold up was finding something to fit in the star bit serpentine belt tensioner. After reading all the horror stories about belt breaks around my mileage range, i didnt want to gamble. That and my buddy pretty much makes a living buying and fixing volvos with broken t-belts, I asked him the average mileage and see said about 150 but has one now with 115 on it.

JudgeRat
Year and Model: s60 2004
Been thanked: 0
Switzerland
JudgeRat

Post by JudgeRat » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:57 am

Here's what I show for the codes you mention above:

P0101-- ECM‑130A -- Intake air leakage
P0101 -- ECM-1210 -- Mass air flow sensor -- Flow too high
P0101 -- ECM-121B -- Mass air flow sensor -- Flow too low
P0101 -- Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0701 - Transmission Control System Range/Performance

"Molly" - Black 2004 2.4L i5 (non-turbo) T5 Auto FWD P2 Volvo s60 w/all options

Old-school race guy: "Brakes 1st, then steering, tires, wheels, & suspension, only then engine and drive-train. No sense making it go if you can't stop & steer properly...Safety first people!"

terryjr
United States of America
terryjr

Post by terryjr » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:11 am

JudgeRat wrote:Here's what I show for the codes you mention above:

P0101-- ECM‑130A -- Intake air leakage
P0101 -- ECM-1210 -- Mass air flow sensor -- Flow too high
P0101 -- ECM-121B -- Mass air flow sensor -- Flow too low
P0101 -- Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0701 - Transmission Control System Range/Performance
Thanks it was the last one, and I may have rmemebred the P0701 wrong, it was a bank 1 lean code P0170 maybe. She drove it around yesterday and used up the half tank with the Lucas fuel cleaner in it and said it had been running much better and the CEL went out

JudgeRat
Year and Model: s60 2004
Switzerland
JudgeRat

Post by JudgeRat » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:21 am

Cool beans; glad you're back in business. (oh, and welcome to the best forum ever.) :D

"Molly" - Black 2004 2.4L i5 (non-turbo) T5 Auto FWD P2 Volvo s60 w/all options

Old-school race guy: "Brakes 1st, then steering, tires, wheels, & suspension, only then engine and drive-train. No sense making it go if you can't stop & steer properly...Safety first people!"

terryjr
United States of America
terryjr

Post by terryjr » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:01 pm

I picked this forum because it looked the most technical, and every time i search google for info this one comes up

I come from building Subaru's. My 400hp Forester is getting to 'unstable" for daily use so I bought the XC70 so I can pull all the stops out on the Forester. I picked the XC70 because i liked the XC90 so much and its a nice affordable rust resistant awd vehicle that seats 7. And its Turbo'd, now I have 3 awd 2.5L turbo charged vehicles

terryjr
United States of America
terryjr

Post by terryjr » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:49 am

Just ordedde a 10 pack of Oil Filters, a filter wrench, extra filter housing, some drain plugs and washers from IPD. No more fighting with oil changes. The last change on my XC90 i stripped the head off the drain plug. Somehow it was torque to like 250ftlb, I had to replace the plug with an O2 sensor bung plug until i could get a new drain plug. The plastic housing also seems pretty beat up so I ordered a spare one of those too

terryjr
United States of America
terryjr

Post by terryjr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:39 am

After work yesterday I installed the bevel gear and timing belt kit. Went rather smooth, took about 2 1/2 hours in the 19° weather in my driveway.

I had a few hangups:
-There's a little sensor nipple or something under the crank, I had the timing belt around it and that was making it appear that the belt was too short. After 15 minutes or so I climbed underneath to investigate and saw my issue. It would be much more noticeable if you remove harmonic balancer to do the change. I did not.
-I had a similar fight with the serpentine belt. When I put the T55 socket in and rotated clockwise, I wasnt getting enough travel to get the belt on. After 15 more minutes of fighting I tried from another angle and this time the tensioner rotated much further and i was able to get the belt on. Again 19° wasnt helping. ALSO make a little diagram before removing belt. I assumed there was one on the hood like every other car. Luckily my XC90 was right there and i could look at it for reference.
-The bevel gear was pretty easy. I did mine without removing the exhaust. No reason to, I used an air ratchet, a 3" extension, a 3/8to 1/4 adapter, an 8mm socket and about 1 inch of a 8"mm allen key, from there I rotated 2 driveshaft bolts to the 9 and 11 oclock positions. I dropped the little cross bar under the exhaust hangers and reached the driveshaft bolts easily 2 bolts at a time.
-Make sure the axle is fully seated in the hub before putting the strut bolts back in.

Now I just have a weak battery to deal with

and forgot to mention , I used a heat gun to make all the trim look like new again.

2001XC70
Year and Model: 2001 XC70
Canada
2001XC70

Post by 2001XC70 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:14 am

Nice to hear you do all the work on your car! Did you take any pics from your work so Matt can update the site? Welcome to the best Volvo site !!

terryjr
United States of America
terryjr

Post by terryjr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:33 am

unfortanetly I did not. Most of the work was done in the very cold dark. I have one of the camshafts but its pretty standard. I usually do take a lot of photos on stuff I do but since I went by a couple existing how-to's online I didnt make a new one.

And the bevel gear took a full quart of synthetic 75-90, i read a few places online that its like 100-200ml, and my fill plug was along side the RH axle shaft, not in the rear