IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

V70 -03 loosing ALL data when ESP light elluminates

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Orchid70
Year and Model: V70 2000
Been thanked: 0
Sweden
Orchid70

V70 -03 loosing ALL data when ESP light elluminates

Post by Orchid70 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:16 pm

Hi
I have a friend who's girlfriend has V70 from 2003. They came to us because the anti spin light was getting on, in her words "like never before" and when it did so, the motor lost it's power "and it had never done it before".
We could not find nothing wrong and I did not have Vida + Dice by then. So we thought the car was behaving as it should. She told that if she pushed the accelerator pedal the same time the light illuminates and she is driving out of a traffic circle - the motor just would not have any power.
When WE drove - and did the same thing, and did NOT push the accelerator pedal when the light came on - we had no problems. BUT - as she put it: she DO DRIVE LIKE somebody was chasing her - and we do not. So we thought it washer way of driving the car that was the biggest problem....
Well...
After a while I started to think about the ETM problems that this cars generally have (an other friend we have, had to get his ETM changed and get an update for the computer) and that's when I started to think about if the problem in this case could get better with an update....
So - this evening my friend called and told that his girlfriend actually had been to a friend of hers - who has Vida!! They had checked first that there was no problems with the ABS. Then they checked for codes (nothing) - and after that, they took the car for a ride and recorded with Vida!
That's when they saw what actually happened. Every time the ESP light went on - the car "lost all it's data". I do not know exactly what it means - if there were any fault codes or not, but everything went to zero after every ESP illumination.
Does anybody recognize this behaviour? And know if a simple update of the system is enough? Or do we have to find the course of the ESP illuminates?

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: V70 -03 loosing ALL data when ESP light elluminates

Post by abscate » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:58 pm

The car isn't losing all its data, VIDA is just disconnecting or failing to comm link. Its obviously a major CAN BUS or module error of some kind.

IM still giggling over the thread title....
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

JDS60R
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 2007 S60R 2007 S60
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
JDS60R

Post by JDS60R » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:11 pm

Yes,
Behavior is common for
Dirty throttle body ( sticks in position - car goes limp) (worse in cold weather)
bad wire from battery to fuse box (corrosion near battery or fuse box )
Weak engine ground (dirty connections )
BCM issues (Brake control module)
CEM issues ( Central Electronic Module)

rarely a bad cell in the battery.

Start with volt meter at fuse box and at OBD port and confirm "Both" voltage and Ground are present at time of ESP episode.

Report back findings if you can

Best Wishes,
John
Masterworks Complete Auto Services
Volvo Spoken Here !!!
100 Park Circle
Old Hickory, TN 37138

Orchid70
Sweden
Orchid70

Post by Orchid70 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:48 am

Well - that's the way it gets when its not you who talks with the first person who said - what they now said... That's how it was given to me =) By the boyfriend, who got it from his girlfriend, who was the one who was in the car when the lost of the connection happened.
Thank you abscate for telling me how it really is! I will not look as fullish the next time I'll have to explain the situation to somebody =)

We are picking up the car next Tuesday - so that's when I can start getting back. Thank you JDS60R!!
Funny- the guy himself just had a 2011 years Skoda Yeti with strange failure with motor lamp coming on and car getting in limp home mode - and in the end it was a "grounding trouble" - never asked where exactly, but it was not somewhere usual dealer mechanic had said he was nothing but lucky to have found it in the first place.

Orchid70
Sweden
Orchid70

Post by Orchid70 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:56 am

Hi again!
So I've found out some bits. The owner told that her problem was that the EST light came on too often. Both when accelerating manually and when using the speed controller, which she uses most of the time.
When measuring the OBD connector I have not yet checked the resistance in pin 4 or 5 - because I saw a car electric on Youtube (a real one) doing that and telling that one really should first pull out the negative from the battery, before doing that.
We went driving with the multimeter checking the voltage in the OBD connector. And not once could we see voltage supply lost. No matter where we drove and how. We got the EST lamp illuminating a lot and at last when driving "rally" on a dirt road - we got also the ABS light coming on! It was blinking and there was NO exclamation light (inside the triangle) present at the time.
Well I had Vida with me so I connected it. Remember - this is my first time with Vida connected to a car - so I had really hard time getting anything out of it.
But - in addition to the earlier fault codes for lacking lights in the luggage compartment, lacking siren and faulty air quality sensor - there was a fault code for ABS sensor, right front if I remember right. But - I managed to erase it =O(
Starting the car again - there was following text coming up on the right of the car-diagram-picture:

Rear electronic module (REM)
Related CSC

Warning lights and chimes, Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) indication/no indication, CP
Warning lights and chimes, Brake failure indication/no indication, DE
Warning lights and chimes, Antispin/antiskid (DSA, ESC/DSTC, STC, TRACS) indication/no indication, DY
Text window and warning symbol, Red symbol and text message, EA
Anti-spin function, Does not work, PA
Anti-lock brake system (ABS), Does not work or engages unexpectedly, YP
Stability function, Does not work, PJ
ABS print screen.jpg
When I'm looking into the different tabs in Vida - this happens every time:
When I get into the Delivery Tab - the ABS light starts blinking. I just go in the tab and this happens. Without clicking on "Read all" or any other button.
Does any of this give any hint on why she is experiencing the car behaving different from before?

I managed to fall last week and brake my cheek bone so I cant be outdoors too long. So this is going to take a bit time to find what the car is about.
Would be nice though if I could be able to find out something for the owner - and I would be very thank full for your time if you can help me with that!

ADDITION: When I read your post AGAIN (I've don it quite many times - but not enough as it seems) I saw that I was supposed to read out the negative also. Came just in - between pin 4 and car body - there was 7,5 Volts, ignition off.