IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

04 S60 steering column u joint repair/lubrication/how too?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

gchalifoux
Year and Model: 2004 volvo s60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
gchalifoux

04 S60 steering column u joint repair/lubrication/how too?

Post by gchalifoux » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:33 am

Hi every,

So I "refuse" to bring my dad's car to a shop for this repair.

What I would like to do is test/lube anything I can to see if this unbinds/frees up the "stiff steering"....working my way down from the inside of the car down to the rack. I'm hoping not to have to mess with the rack in hopes that it is "solid". My "hopes" :roll: are that I might be able to locate, clean and lubricate points of movement along the steering column that jusssssssssst might free this thing up?? So if someone, multiple people who have had this experience could chime in I would greatly appreciate it. Is there some sort of bearing/covered by a boot inside the car at the very base of the column where it attached/goes through the fire wall? Then under the hood?? upper and lower ujoints? clean? lube? grease? JJJJuuuuuussssttt on the outside chance this will work??

Last would be to replace either 1 or both of the ujoints....my brother-in-law said he replaced one of them years ago....trying to figure out which one was replaced. He seems to think it might have been the lower joint....So.....need your experience and input on this....would really appreciate it!!

thank you one and all!!!!!!!
Gary

JDS60R
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 2007 S60R 2007 S60
United States of America
JDS60R

Re: 04 S60 steering column u joint repair/lubrication/how too?

Post by JDS60R » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:58 am

A little silicone grease ( not spray) in the seal between the shaft and the rubber seal to the body. Other that - replace parts as needed. U joints are not serviceable ( remove and replace only) .
Masterworks Complete Auto Services
Volvo Spoken Here !!!
100 Park Circle
Old Hickory, TN 37138

gchalifoux
Year and Model: 2004 volvo s60
United States of America
gchalifoux

Post by gchalifoux » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:26 am

JDS60R wrote:A little silicone grease ( not spray) in the seal between the shaft and the rubber seal to the body. Other that - replace parts as needed. U joints are not serviceable ( remove and replace only) .
would that locate in this pic #14, I seem to have read this on another post where here....

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:17 pm

The #14 is inside the car, under the pedals. It also has a small bearing at the top which can rust. Remove the bolt #12 from under the dash, then remove the large clip (not illustrated) that keeps #14 in place, remove #14 and retrieve the small bearing. Then you have access to the lower u-joint from inside the car. One part of the u-joint being disconnected, you can inspect it for free movement. If it doesn't move easy, use liberally some engine oil or silicone grease (don't go with wd40 as some anti-seize spray will freeze in winter). Play with the joint on all axes until you see rust coming off and gets easy to rotate. Removing the joint from there is usually a very hard job because it gets stuck on the steering rack.

JDS60R
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 2007 S60R 2007 S60
United States of America
JDS60R

Post by JDS60R » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:38 am

Silicone grease between 13 and 14.

If you want to remove 13 (for replacement - no need to remove anything for greasing- just push 14 down and grease) then remove 15 and use small pry bar to lift 13 up and off. Then remove 11 and 12 to get 13 off the car.

Its best to have 2 people first. ! to turn the steering wheel while the other looks at the joints. See which one has play and replace as needed. I have done many of the 13's but very few of #9's. Many people confuse the play or damage/wear to the steering rack with a bad 13. You will wnat to see the play first hand before paying for replacement parts.
Masterworks Complete Auto Services
Volvo Spoken Here !!!
100 Park Circle
Old Hickory, TN 37138