IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

"Reduced Engine Power" Limp Mode Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: "Reduced Engine Power" Limp Mode

Post by abscate » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:39 pm

When any electronic throttle code pends, the ECU will inhibit cruise control. This makes sense when you think about these functions which need to be fail safe,
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:36 am

Abscate's number is OEM where yours is Bosch. Exact same part; just different packaging.

Would you go to.a dealer to buy an OEM part for twice the price when you can buy the exact equivalent that the factory use in a Bosch box?

Same goes for MAFs. The Bosch MAF for your car is a 0280218088 for around $150USD from FCP. Same exact part in a genuine here in Oz from a dealer will run to over $800.

The connector on the car is the best hope for a cheap fix. They can be tightened or replaced.
Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

VolvoBooster
Year and Model: 2004 Volvo S60 2.5T
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
VolvoBooster

Post by VolvoBooster » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:29 pm

@precopster - that makes a whole lot of sense.
What is a good way to go about fixing my connectors? Find a part? Buy wire? I am not sure?

As mentioned before, I did go ahead and get VIDA. Maybe this can help shed some light on the issues. I was able to get the Volvo specific diagnostic faults:

Please let me know if there is something more relevant that can be grabbed...

I attached two images. They are screenshots of the diagnostics.

The codes under "unselected CSC" are:
ECM-91B7
CEM-1C05
CEM-6C48
CEM-6C49
CEM-1A62
Faults.jpg
The second fault picture has even more codes that could pertain to the issue...
Faults 2.jpg
I was thinking, the first step to try is to grab some cleaner for the throttle body connectors and clean the connectors.
If that doesn't work I was thinking to switch the throttle body with my newly arrived new throttle body that I had ordered for $40 bucks and see how we fair.

I do want to take things one step at a time, but I would like all cards out on the table.
The connector's could very well simply be the issue. I don't want to just throw parts at the issue- I want to go about it the best way. That's why ya'll are awesome. Connectors could be the route and I want to know how to go about fixing it that way. What do you all think?
Attachments
Faults.jpg

nsjames
Year and Model: 04 XC70
United States of America
nsjames

Post by nsjames » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:28 pm

1c05 is a low battery voltage error.

you said it was charged, but how old is the battery and have you had it load tested?
low voltage could cause all of your weirdness.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:56 pm

You do apply dielectric grease to the pins but just as a corrosion inhibitor. Volvo service instructions for electrical connectors always calls for dielectric grease. This is confusing but the grease will not prevent connections when it is dielectric. You can't use conductive grease in electronics due to the chance of cross connection through the grease. There are special application conductive greases that are expensive and are applied VERY sparingly but they have for the most part been dropped from use in engine compartment due to the potential for the grease running and making connections between pins.
The throttle potentiometers in the ETA must have good signals back to the ECM or there will be codes. That system is not tolerant of not being to track throttle position via the two different pot signals being in agreement to a very small allowed deviation. The pins associated with throttle at the ECM connector also have little allowance for poor or corroded connections.

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:34 am

Use Delivery tab for current codes. Some posters have been able to buy the wire from dealer and solder in. Search forum as there may be a part number. Remove the throttle and take a good look at the pins.. Make sure you use contact cleaner not throttle cleaner.
Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

VolvoBooster
Year and Model: 2004 Volvo S60 2.5T
United States of America
VolvoBooster

Post by VolvoBooster » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:14 pm

Thanks you all. Okay, so I finally got around to removing the throttle body and it had oil in it- I think the substance was oil at least. It was on the side that connects to the intake manifold. The side that connects to the hose was clean. I think it was actually oily inside the hose, although. Mind you, I just cleaned the throttle body about 2 to 3 weeks ago. I am going to put the new (used) one in that I bought and see how it fairs... I am cleaning the new (used) throttle body with throttle body cleaner and the connectors with contact cleaner. I am thinking of applying A LITTLE DAB of dielectric grease to the connectors... right? I attached some more pictures for reference.

Do you all have an idea, why an oily substance would appear? I am due for an oil change, don't know if that's related.

Side that connects to the intake manifold directly:
IMG_0813.JPG
Side that connects to the hose:
IMG_0815.JPG

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: "Reduced Engine Power" Limp Mode  Topic is solved

Post by abscate » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:12 am

If the intake manifold and air induction tubing are heavily oiled you could just be getting residual oil carrying over. If that's fresh oil from the motor in 2-3 weeks, that's really heavy oiling and PCV or rings need attention.

I don't think this is causing limp mode, though.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary