IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

electrical problems, passenger seat, 12v outlet, radio

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

i4gotmyid
Year and Model: 2004 xc70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
i4gotmyid

electrical problems, passenger seat, 12v outlet, radio

Post by i4gotmyid » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:56 am

Okay, so i have sorted out some electrical problems with my 2004 v70R, but these remain.

1. Passenger Seat not working
2. 12V outlets not working
3. Radio not working

My dealer said each of these problems were individual, the dealer pulled codes and nothing obvious, we have checked the fuses, and I have power all the way to the connectors (using a test light), so he stated that each piece was dead.

So I started to tackle the seat problem first. I changed the passenger seat switch with one that works (I even swapped seats) and nothing happened. So I got stuck. I was given advice to change the battery and when I replaced the battery, or if I leave it disconnected for some time and reconnect, you can hear the cd-changer start up, but then nothing. So I feel like the radio isnt actually dead or you wouldnt hear the changer (my assumption of course).

I have searched on the interwebs and have found mention of people having this exact problem, but with no one finding a solution. I think its weird all three happened at once.

If anyone has solved this one, or can send me on the right direction that would be great. I tried following the wiring diagram (with as little knowledge that I have), and I couldnt find anything they share, at least not obviously. I dont want to spend more money having the dealer incorrectly diagnose the problem so any help would be appreciated.

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Re: electrical problems, passenger seat, 12v outlet, radio

Post by MadeInJapan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:07 am

There may be more than a fuse to lead to this but I suspect some type of larger electrical piece like a relay. I would not be swapping parts out to just be swapping part... most likely just some piece (like I mentioned) that needs to be replaced or repaired. Of course, I could be wrong. On a side note, make sure the battery terminals are clean and the little wires that attach off of the main larger battery cable is clean and free of corrosion too...it could be that those three items feed off of one of those wires.
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:14 am

Check this out (I know it's not completely related) http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums ... hp?t=62790

Then search for anything with DIM and CCM for your car. I'm thinking that's the direction of your issues and not specific parts or even fuses.
Others who have experienced what you're going through will hopefully chime in.
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

MileHighR
Year and Model: 2005 V70R
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
MileHighR

Post by MileHighR » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:09 pm

Holy thread resurrection, I know, but I'm having the exact same issues with a 2005 VR that I just bought and I cant seem to figure it out. Before I just go and start buying a replacement HU, etc. I wanted to see if there was ever any resolution to these issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know the '04 has a different electrical system, but I still wanted to know if there had been any resolution.

stoutlogic
Year and Model: 2006 XC70
United States of America
stoutlogic

Post by stoutlogic » Thu May 25, 2017 1:26 pm

Bumping this oldie.

Everything was working fine in my 2006 xc70 and then today both 12v power outlets went out along with the radio and the passenger side power seat. Driver side seat and other things in the car seem to function as they should.

I checked the power outlet fuse in drivers side compartment down by the brake pedal. Also checked the radio fuse in the driver side side panel. Fuses look good.

What could be the common thread between the power outlets, passenger side power seat and the radio?

Thoughts appreciated.

yagger
Year and Model: S60 2005 2,5T
Belarus
yagger

Post by yagger » Thu May 25, 2017 1:31 pm

Fuses looks good, but you did not check power on this fuses. Most likely your CEM out of order.
Volvo electronics and programming.Yagger&Doublebug - our experience invaluable.
Aftermarket Online Data Transferring Service for Volvo Pass: total

stoutlogic
United States of America
stoutlogic

Post by stoutlogic » Thu May 25, 2017 2:27 pm

You are correct I did fail to check the block for power. Honestly it took me awhile to realize there are 4 fuse locations. This car is new to me. Any suggestions on confirming the cem maybe the issue?

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

uRe: electrical problems, passenger seat, 12v outlet, radio

Post by mrbrian200 » Thu May 25, 2017 3:27 pm

These items share a common +12v switched power from a relay inside the CEM. If you have verified +B at both of the red wires that feed the CEM from the trunk then this internal CEM relay is the likely culprit.
If the vehicle were equipped with factory GPS it would also be out.

If you want to try to crack it yourself this is the instruction...In French :shock:
http://en.calameo.com/read/00098375906604c67c2f1

I came across that when I was tracing down an intermittent flicker in brightness in my headlamps. That problem turned out not to be the CEM, however, I tend to store/remember any bit of useful information for any car I own, even if it's not related to a problem I'm trying to diagnose at the moment.

Most people who aren't proficient at board level repairs would probably be better to send their CEM to a rebuild service such as xemodex.

stoutlogic
United States of America
stoutlogic

Post by stoutlogic » Fri May 26, 2017 5:57 am

Thanks! I have not verified power to the CEM. Frankly I didn't know the CEM even existed till yesterday afternoon. Just picked this xc70 up a little bit ago. Had a v70 t5 for years.

No gps in the car.

French is not my speed but ill take a look. Is Xemodex considered the go to place for CEM repairs? I see their name mentioned a few times.

Thanks for your help.

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:30 am

stoutlogic wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 5:57 am
French is not my speed but ill take a look. Is Xemodex considered the go to place for CEM repairs? I see their name mentioned a few times.
Thanks for your help.
I don't know French either. The viewer doesn't support text copy and paste :twisted: I had two browser sessions open half screen side by side and retyped the text into google translate.

Xemodex aren't the only ones that can repair a CEM. Consensus seems to be their testing and diagnosis is the most thorough/best.
Even though you'd be sending it specifically to address a bad relay, their standard service goes over the entire unit. They will address other common failure points so that you're less likely to have another problem anytime soon.