IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

electrical problems, passenger seat, 12v outlet, radio

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

stoutlogic
Year and Model: 2006 XC70
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
stoutlogic

Re: electrical problems, passenger seat, 12v outlet, radio

Post by stoutlogic » Fri May 26, 2017 11:53 am

Looks like that's the way I may be headed. My buddy is bringing over his Snap On scanner to check for codes. I don't know if it will show anything.

I had the same problem with the French doc. Although it looked as if he removed the relay and reinstalled with clean solider. The rest is a mystery.

Battery is OE Volvo with sticker from 5/2015 and it appears to be charging at 14 to 14.1 volts.

Iv'e been doing a ton of reading. My best guess so far is water intrusion into the CEM or damage from heat. I had a similar issue on the engine control module on a Ford 7.3 powerstroke. The ECM actually filled with water and would create all sorts of crazy electrical issues.
These users thanked the author stoutlogic for the post:
BryonTheCanadian

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:14 pm

I don't think that relay output isn't monitored, you'll see DTCs for the canbus devices that aren't getting power from it (AUM, PDM) because the CEM is programmed to look for them on the network, but they aren't on.

stoutlogic
United States of America
stoutlogic

Post by stoutlogic » Wed May 31, 2017 11:28 am

Im going to try and locate Vida or someone with it to check. If that turns up empty I guess I will pull the CEM and crack it open to check for loose points of contact around the relay.

thanks for your input, much appreciated

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:02 pm

Keep us posted once xemodex gets your CEM back to you and whether or not the actual internal relay was the problem or something else in there. It would be worth noting if the relay was good but the problem was in the driver circuitry on the other board. I gathered failures of this relay aren't particularly common, but once in a great while an owner or two gets an 'unlucky one'.

The closest readily available relay part I see is Potter and Brumfeld VF7-11F12. Siemens also makes an equivalent part. These have the thru-hole spades which should solder directly to the board without modification. Coil resistance is 90 ohms, whereas the original relays' coil resistance is 70 ohms. This would pull less current through the driver circuit (which wouldn't be a problem, you wouldn't want to use a relay with a lower resistance than 70 ohms which would pull more current). I'm doubt the 470 ohm 1/2 watt resistor in parallel with the coil is necessary. French guy was being very thorough may not really understood the relationship between resistance/current/power/heat and when/what/where a slightly higher resistance value doesn't hurt a thing.

stoutlogic
United States of America
stoutlogic

Post by stoutlogic » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:35 am

I could have gone the relay route and maybe saved some money but as i get older I value my time and less body pain more than money. Getting in under the dash area was a real pia, at least the first time. I really have no desire to soldier in new relays, reinstall in car and pray. Even cracking that CEM open was a little finicky. My wife laughed as I used 20 toothpicks in the plastic housing to keep the plastic catches disengaged.

Cheers

stoutlogic
United States of America
stoutlogic

Post by stoutlogic » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:33 am

XeModex CEM resolved all my issues. Took less than 20 min to reinstall and put the car back together. It did set me back $639 with 2 day shipping but at least everything is working as it should.

Thanks to everyone who posted tips, tricks and information.

Hopefully my pain may help someone else in the future.

BryonTheCanadian
Canada
BryonTheCanadian

Post by BryonTheCanadian » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:51 pm

Hi guys im having the same issue... Did anyone solve it

stoutlogic
United States of America
stoutlogic

Post by stoutlogic » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:40 am

Yes, see post above. Problem is in the board level of CEM.
These users thanked the author stoutlogic for the post:
BryonTheCanadian

BryonTheCanadian
Canada
BryonTheCanadian

Post by BryonTheCanadian » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:15 am

TOOO funny it was on page 2.. ive got the exact same issues in a Xc70 that's new to me... except i have one additional one the parking sensors are also not functional... did yours work ? 2nd part ive checked the hot lead red wire going to the radio and its live ... i suppose there could be an additional positive one thats out.... Did the lights work on your radio ?

stoutlogic
United States of America
stoutlogic

Post by stoutlogic » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:46 am

I don't remember if my parking sensor were out too. I had only had the car a few weeks when the electrical problem started. I do remember pass side seat did not work, radio had no lights ,display or sound output and the 12v outlet did not work. At first I thought the radio had simply died. Then I realized my phone wasn't charging. I forget how I discovered the seat had no power. I did a ton or research and ultimately had to gamble on what I thought was the issue.....the CEM. Xemodex did a good quick job of repairing it but it wasnt cheap. Their website has a couple of diagnostic flow charts under the technical resources page.