IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Exhaust manifold confusion??

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

bosco
Year and Model: 2001 V70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
bosco

Exhaust manifold confusion??

Post by bosco » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:36 pm

So, I've had an exhaust leak for quite some time and I finally decided to tackle it. It was definitely coming from the exhaust manifold area so I went ahead and replaced the gaskets. I have the manifold with the integrated catalytic converter but I wasn't able to get it completely out of the engine bay due to the large, awkward size. (How the heck do you get it out anyway?!?) Nevertheless I was able to change the gaskets with little issue. Now however, the leak is still persisting and it's actually worse. (As in it doesn't dissipate after the engine is warm) So now I'm considering replacing the manifold entirely. The issue I have now, besides how to get the old one out, is that it appears the integrated manifolds I am finding online are not CA legal?!? If that's the case, can I put in a regular one with just the flex pipe or will that cause me to fail smog? Can I go used with no concern? It'd be great if could do that as they are 1/3 the price of the cat models.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for your help!!