IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2002 S60 (non-turbo) idle throttle surge, no tach movement, dimming dash lights. wooping noise from airbox area

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

BrandoBob
Year and Model: 2002 S60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
BrandoBob

2002 S60 (non-turbo) idle throttle surge, no tach movement, dimming dash lights. wooping noise from airbox area

Post by BrandoBob » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:36 pm

Hello. I have read a few articles about the ETM (in conjuncture with my MAF) may be at fault. I ask for your wisdom and help.
I have 75k miles on my 2002 S60 (non-turbo) and recently I have been having some issues.
At idle and low speed i get surging, but the tachometer does not wavier. Normal driving feels responsive and the tach seems to behave properly when I hammer the gas with only a little hunting for the right idle when I drive normally. When coming to a stop the lights in the dash dim as the idle surges...again with no dash indication of tach movement. It also seems worse with the air conditioner on, I assume because there is a higher power demand and the idle is trying to compensate for it at the alternator. These conditions are inconsistent, but often appear worse with a warm/hot car. Additionally, with the car running, while surging, and the hood open i hear a whooping noise that sounds like either the throttle plate opening and closing or possibly the thermostatic air flap for the air intake/recirc slapping around.

Several weeks ago I cleaned my MAF sensor due to rough running and air filter prior to the condition appearing and everything was good and normal. With the development of the rough idle shortly after (fearing damage to the MAF sensor) I have a new one from FCP, which is on its way. I unplugged the MAF and there is sometimes little change, but other times the cars idle improves and once it stalled out.... still doesn't explain why the tachometer doesn't indicate any changes.

I have removed and cleaned the electronic throttle with cleaner H and replace with a new gasket with the battery disconnected. There was a fair amount of lightly coated soot, but it cleaned up easily with a soft brush and rag. The idle speed on the tach lowered from 1000rpm to 700 rpm and the idle improved a bit, but that is only transient... the idle surge returns.

There are no error codes to be read on OBDII. Another issue is a field mouse setup home in the engine which is making me have extra doubts. It seems to have not nibbled anything and instead focus on importing acorn shells on my spark plug cover near the timing belt. I have checked for vacuum leaks, but haven't found any yet. I don't think it

I would greatly appreciate any insight to this issue, the car feels a bit unsteady to drive in city traffic and I would feel much better fixing it myself than driving it several hours with the hope that I don't stall out on the interstate.

Seriously, thank you for your time and effort...this certainly isn't my first visit here, but its certainly my worst problem (yet).

BrandoBob
BrandoBob

Re: 2002 S60 (non-turbo) idle throttle surge, no tach movement, dimming dash lights. wooping noise from airbox area

Post by BrandoBob » Sun May 01, 2016 6:59 am

After much digging, a new MAF... I think i found the issue. My air cleaner box was hot as hell after simple park and idle for testing my other issues. In side the air box the thermostatic and vacuum line operated flap that directs how much air from the heat pipe riser or cold air inlet pipe was all kinds of not right, which is only in the non-turbo. Essentially stuck pulling in more hot air than it should even after the engine is nice and toasty. I disconnected the pipe and sealed the air box to test the car and my erratic issues were gone. I think the unneeded heat was confusing the MAF and ETM. I'd like to fix it, but I'm having a hard time finding the parts. I live in a warm area and I might just do without the engine preheat.

BrandoBob
BrandoBob

Re: 2002 S60 (non-turbo) idle throttle surge, no tach movement, dimming dash lights. wooping noise from airbox area

Post by BrandoBob » Sat May 28, 2016 2:02 am

Ah no, I'm a tard. If I made a big vac leak while the car was running it went crazy and likewise after fixing the vac leak it still went crazy. Shipped my ETM out to xemodex... Early failure, bad throttle bearing. Anyways, a few dollars later and all that surge/stall idle nonsense is over ( I hope).

Funny thing is, after talking with xemodex they said that volvo put a fix in that basically hides the problem and that my ETM was putting out a DTC (diagnostic trouble code), but that was hidden by the software revision. The fixed ETM came back to me super fast and cleaned up, at first I thought it was the wrong part

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:42 am

The Volvo fix ( software code which allows more failures before kicking in limp mode) is documented in Dons ETM room

It was a sucky way to treat customers, agreed
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary