IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

'03 XC 70 wont't start/

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

transtecltd
Year and Model: 03 XC 70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
transtecltd

'03 XC 70 wont't start/

Post by transtecltd » Sun May 08, 2016 1:17 pm

I know that I have read all sorts of compelling posts, most of which I have tried or eliminated by the seeming problem on my Volvo.

I bought this XC 70 from a dealer in Bethesda, MD. The car was owned by a female DR. Many new parts, seemingly decent maintenance. Rolled off truck and it ran like a new one [140K] and everything worked perfectly. Drove it to work [20 mi each way[. It had a few parking lot key marks so I took a couple of weeks to make it pristine.

I gave to my daughter and it continued to run perfectly. A few days later no start? I checked no fuel flow. Replaced under dash relay. Filter changed also. Jumped Pump. Nothing. Even replaced immobilizer Antenna and cleaned MAF and unplugged it..

Installed new pump from Amazon. Pump only. Fired it up and it ran perfectly. I drove it about 10 mi and still perfect. Gave it to daughter. She drove it 7 days and in the driveway it wouldn't start. I asked her about gas she used as a local station was having problems w/ bad gas. Checked everything and finally got a bottle of Rislone Whole Fuel System Cleaner. Followed instructions to crank till starts. It worked and the car ran perfectly for 6 days. Also during this time it developed a Purge Valve code. Installed new valve and a lot of pretty bad hoses.

About a week later it failed while idling thru a fast food restaurant. Had it towed home. Seemed like bad pump again. New pump and nothing. Jumped pump and its fine. reinstalled and nothing, but relay click. Took pump assy. up about 1/2 way and turned key, all sorts of flow. Put pump back in securely and nothing again?

There's no PEM and what about rail sensor. Does it sense fuel and control or send signal for more fuel. I've read 100s of posts and short of reprogramming ECM. I'm lost.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: '03 XC 70 wont't start/

Post by abscate » Sun May 08, 2016 5:05 pm

It sounds like a CANBUS problem that is not turning on your pump reliably. You need a VIDA program to diagnose this.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary