IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2001 2002 AW55 transmission, history, stop/start software Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

urbex
Year and Model: 1994 855 T5R clone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
urbex

Re: 2001 2002 5-speed automatic transmission & problems - start here

Post by urbex » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:03 pm

Is this reason enough to avoid MY01/02 cars altogether? I'm looking at picking up another Volvo after about 6 years without my 850, and looking at some newer models. Is this stop neutral thing something I can feel while test driving a car to be able to tell whether it has had the programming updated or not?

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:42 am

Yes it is. If the car drives and shifts fine, no reason to avoid.

The stop neutral software will drop the transmission into N when you bring the car into a stop, then engage drive when you start again (brake release or gas?) If its bad, you will feel a big clunk.

I think 95% of cars have had it removed already. Confirm by VIN record at dealer

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:38 pm

Having a little fun with the engine

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America
Georgeandkira

Post by Georgeandkira » Tue May 22, 2018 6:39 am

You zoomed well past 3500 rpm during your demo. I couldn't hear anything but the progressive roar of the engine.

Then, toward the end of the video, you accelerated up to 3,000 rpm 4 times....not your best video bro.

adbacker
Year and Model: 2001 V70 t5
United States of America
adbacker

Re: 2001 2002 AW55 transmission, history, stop/start software

Post by adbacker » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:27 pm

(hopefully this is in the right place)

I searched for someone who had this specific surging issue. While I found a few examples of folks with this behavior, I never found a definitive “this is what it was and this is how we fixed it.” I hope this helps one of those people ...

Short version:

The automatic transmission went out (as they do) on my 2001 volvo v70 t5. I had it rebuilt by a local AAMCO. They told me that the existing valve body was kaput, (expected) and put on a completely new valve body.

Getting it back, I noticed odd behavior. When cruising along between 30 and 35mph at a constant speed on flat level ground and with the rpm holding steady at approx 1600 ... the engine would start "surging". The rpms would drop by about 200, then jump back up, then down, then up and keep repeating at roughly 1 second intervals. As soon as I took my foot off the pedal, or sped up a little bit, or even added a little bit of throttle the problem stopped. At first I dismissed it as an anomaly, but as days passed and I kept noticing it, I decided that asking about it would be wise.

The transmission shop dismissed it as me being hyper-aware of a behavior that likely existed prior to the rebuild. After driving it for a few more days, I called back saying that the surge was happening so often I was certain I’d have known if the behavior had existed prior. AAMCO recommended to take it to the Volvo dealer to update the TCM software, as this often solved such behavior. The Volvo dealership had it updated ($200).

No fix. I could reproduce it on demand for the transmission shop (with a tech in the car) though they could not themselves. Further discussion revealed they didn’t have vida/dice so hadn’t done a full transmission re-learn. I did have a dice unit with vida, so took it out and did a full re-learn. That didn’t help either.

The shop determined that the car was spontaneously dropping into/out of lock up for some unknown reason.

After more diagnosis with vida, I discovered the SLU solenoid amp draw was dropping in time with the RPM changes. It would register at 0.6a, and then drop to 0, after which the RPM would jump. It looked like this:
transmission_surge_vida_output.png
After showing the evidence (with even more examples) to AAMCO, they reluctantly agreed to replace the SLU solenoid. It was replaced, I did a full adaptation (necessary? at this point why not) and the problem went away.

So if you’ve had your transmission rebuilt or a new valve body put in OR you just have the odd surging behavior while at a constant speed, flat ground ... it might be the SLU solenoid.

If you have access to vida/dice, hook it up and start graphing the engine speed, vehicle speed, and SLU current. If it looks like mine, well...that might be your issue too.

Long, drawn out, tl;dr version:

Chapter 1: The transmission man cometh

In September of 2017 I took my 2001 Volvo V70 T5 to a local recommended AAMCO for rebuilding. The transmission had died in early June but, since the rest of the car was in excellent shape we decided the cost ($4600) was worth it. After all, we were the second owners and getting a new car for $4600 that was in such good shape would have been a gamble. So off it went to be rebuilt. We got it back after about 2 weeks. (I think)

Less than a week after getting it back, the transmission seemed to "go out" just like when it died before the repair. No power, sluggish. Fortunately, I was able to nurse it into a safe parking location. I had it towed back to AAMCO to figure out what was going on. The next day they looked and found nothing wrong, telling me I should have just turned it off and back on again and it would have been fine. I was flabbergasted. A $4600 transmission rebuild and it was normal to have it seemingly die, and I should have known to "just restart" and everything would be fine?

Shortly thereafter I had it in to a local tire shop for new tires and an alignment. While replacing the tires, the shop told me that the front driver side axle CV boot had a hole, as there was grease flung all around the wheel well. This surprised me, as the Volvo had just been with AAMCO and they hadn't said anything about it. The tire shop also noted that the front control arm bushings were so shot, an alignment wouldn’t be possible. Well, whee.

As I was replacing brakes, rotors and front control arms, I also replaced the driver side axle due to the punctured boot. After the axle removal, I located where the boot had failed, and found it was not worn or cracked, but was a clean, moon shaped cut about 1/4” across.

It was also within a week of receiving the vehicle back that I noticed other, very odd behavior. When cruising along between 30 and 35mph at a constant speed on flat level ground and with the rpm holding steady at approx 1600 ... the engine would start "surging". The rpms would drop by about 200, then jump back up, then down, then up and keep repeating at roughly 1 second intervals. As soon as I took my foot off the pedal, or sped up a little bit, or even added a little bit of throttle the problem stopped. At first I dismissed it as an anomaly, but as days passed and I kept noticing it, I decided that asking would be wise.

Initially the transmission shop dismissed it (politely) as me being hyper-aware of a behavior that likely existed prior to the rebuild. After driving it for a few more days, I called back saying that the surge was happening so often I was certain I’d have known if the behavior was existing. AAMCO recommended taking it to the Volvo dealer to make sure the transmission control module was running the most recent version of the software, as this often solved such behavior. The Volvo dealership had it updated ($200) and I was again hopeful everything was fine.

This did not solve the problem. Exact same behavior. Back to the transmission shop it went. They were not able to reproduce the problem so I volunteered to take one of their techs for a ride with a diagnostic unit running to see what was going on. Sure enough, he was able to watch the rpms jump as I repeatedly reproduced the issue. They hypothesized that it was a failing throttle position sensor, the transmission control module, or the central electronics module. (CEM)

I took it to a highly regarded local volvo/bmw/mercedes shop to have them attempt to reproduce the behavior and and determine root cause. Hurless was not able to reproduce the problem either, but confirmed that the symptoms were not indicative of a failing throttle position sensor, though they agreed it could conceivably be one of the computers.

At this point, I wasn't ready to commit $1000 to have a computer module replaced without a firm diagnosis. Given that the problem started after the transmission rebuild it seemed likely that something in the rebuild was the cause. Fortunately enough, I'd purchased a Volvo DICE diagnostic unit a while back, so I hooked it up and started looking for anomalies.

I discovered the SLU solenoid amp draw was dropping in time with the RPM changes. It would register at 0.6a, and then drop to 0a, after which the RPM would jump. I took the volvo back to the transmission shop, volunteering to take a tech for a ride while providing my DICE+vida for better diagnostics than the tools he had available.

This is what the diagnostic from Volvo’s VIDA program looked like:
transmission_surge_vida_output.png
I was very surprised that AAMCO did not have the proper tools to diagnose a transmission they had just rebuilt. For me to have to diagnose a problem with the transmission I had just paid them $4600 to fix, spend days researching and gathering evidence to convince them it was an issue, and then *provide* them with the proper tools for them to validate the issue was profoundly disconcerting. At this point they continued to offer no help or suggestion other than to insist it must be a computer.

Chapter 2: Wherein the transmission demon is slain

At this point, I remembered the whole "you need to teach the transmission to walk again" process required after any major Volvo transmission work.

AAMCO had reset the transmission computer but given they told me the "reset" took only 15 minutes, I asked the shop if they'd done a full control module adaptation or only the reset the adaptive learning. They indicated that they were not aware of any such full adaption procedure. Given the full control module adaptation has to be initiated by the VIDA tool (which they didn't have), in retrospect this made sense.

I hoped that this was the missing link and a full control module adaptation would address the continuing rpm jump/SLU solenoid oddness issue. I found a long, quiet road in the middle of nowhere, and went to work. 2.5 hours later I had completed the procedure.

And the issue was still there.

Once again, I took it back to AAMCO. The tech I'd taken for a ride earlier confirmed what I'd shown, namely that the transmission was jumping into and out of partial lockup. I pointed out that it could be a defective solenoid. Though very skeptical, they agreed to replace the SLU solenoid before I tried the very-expensive process of beginning to replace computers. They also reluctantly admitted (when pointedly asked) that, indeed, the vehicle dropping into and out of lock up would prematurely wear the transmission.

The SLU solenoid was replaced. The transmission shop said that they were unable to reproduce the problem at my specified rpms (although they hadn't been able to in the first place), but thought they maybe had seen it at a higher RPM. I took it back out to the lonely road, went through the entire re-learn procedure. And the problem that I'd so reliably reproduce for weeks was gone. I was unable to reproduce it at any speed. GLORY BE! We had nailed that gremlin dead, dead, dead. I was bedraggled, disgusted with the transmission shop, but proud that I’d chased the issue down to conclusion.

Little did I suspect the heady sense of victory was to be short lived ... as the transmission gremlin handed off to an electrical demon.

But that's another story.
These users thanked the author adbacker for the post (total 2):
matthew1pedrohf

2001 V70 t5 - running
2001 V70 t5 - parts

FREEBUSINESSES
Year and Model: 2005 XC90
United States of America
FREEBUSINESSES

Message TRANSMISSION OIL FIX NEXT SERVICE ???

Post by FREEBUSINESSES » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:01 am

HELP...…. I have searched high and low and very few have experienced same message as I have on recently acquired 02 XC70 which has this message with no other codes, is there a way to know what needs to be fixed, it shifts fine, seems to have no issues in the few hundred miles I have driven checking out car. Those who have posted this same message never posted a follow up, and found only a couple posts over this same message, so it appears to be rare, it isn't even listed in the list of messages, this one is not on any list? Anyone here help on this issue? Car has 150K on it and had a record of trans service, so I assume that was a fluid change at 80K. So am having fluid service today and hopefully message can be reset by DICE which I don't have.

Thanks,

FREEBUSINESSES
Year and Model: 2005 XC90
United States of America
FREEBUSINESSES

02 XC70 2.5t Transmission Oil Fix Next Service Message?

Post by FREEBUSINESSES » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:01 pm

UPDATE: Transmission fluid changed, no more message, so I guess this message is rare, but at least I found out what to fix next service, wish it would have just said, change transmission fluid.

I questioned type of transmission fluid this Volvo only independent used, thought it was suppose to be Mobil 1 3309 which was a non synthetic, but this shop says they only use synthetic transmission fluid, they have been top independent in area for 39 years, so who knows who is right.