IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

windshield rubber strips

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

adrian22
Year and Model: s60 2006
Has thanked: 0
Aruba
adrian22

windshield rubber strips

Post by adrian22 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:39 pm

On either side of the windshield are two plastic trim pieces that are painted the color of the car. They are held in place by plastic clips which I bought from IPD. Along these are some black rubber pieces that go from the roof to the bottom corner of the windshield. They appear to be a drainage channel. These rubber pieces are what I am looking for. Mine are dry rotted and falling apart. Does anyone know what these are called, the part number, or where I can find them?
adrian22

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Re: windshield rubber strips

Post by MadeInJapan » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:47 am

Others have posted about this before...they are called the Drip Molding- ours look fine on our V70 but it is garaged all the time it's not in use. My son's S60 is starting to show signs of the dry rot but it can wait for now. I have a friend whose are totally gone from dry rotting and so he pulled the remainder of the nubs that were left off- they don't look good in my opinion but he lives with it. The problem is that you can't buy those rubber pieces on their own. They come attached to the painted pieces. You can buy the whole piece from some (many have discontinued them) on-line vendors but those who have bought them have complained that they often come to them bent because they are so long and the have a tendency to be tossed around during shipment. Also, they are not cheap (as you can imagine). Getting them from a junked car is also typically not an option as those are usually dry rotted too. Sorry for the bad news but you could try buying them on line and chancing them getting to you unimpaired. If they are damaged in transit, the seller should refund you or exchange them in my opinion. Another option is to buy them from the dealer then you know they are going to come to you in good shape but then you certainly will pay a premium. I believe someone over on Swedespeed was doing something different by building up the rubber with some type of liquid rubber compound on the painted pieces on his car but I did not continue to follow his progression to see if he was successful or not.

That said, you do not say which model year or car this is for...V, XC 70 or S60? Here is a link to the retailer who I found had the most reasonable price on these: http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts/20 ... -roof-scat The item you are after is #6 in the diagram.
Search for your specific car on the Tasca website and look under Body and then Exterior and then Roof. There is a difference between especially the V/XC70 and the S60 mostly because the wagons typically came with Eurorails on the roof while the sedans didn't. Also, there could be slight variations between model years too. I personally don't know if you could for instance buy one that is for the S60 (long to the rear windshield) and then clip it at where the Eurorails start on an V70 or not. The color of your car's specific paint are listed with different part numbers.

Good luck with this and let us know what you decided to do.
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

adrian22
Year and Model: s60 2006
Aruba
adrian22

Post by adrian22 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:33 pm

thanks for kind advice
The car is xc70 2005
The tescaparts have it listed but dont have it in stock but I managed to get a rubber molding 1/2 diameter that will fit with some silicon calking
adrian22

JRL
Year and Model: Several
United States of America
JRL

Post by JRL » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:56 pm

How many times do I have to say this?
THEY ARE NOT MADE ANYMORE and haven't been for a couple of years.
If you can find one, in stock, at a dealer, terrific, but you cannot order them anymore
2000 V70R Black, 144,000 miles Wife's R.
2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

Contact info for purchases: [email protected]

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:13 pm

Jim, I would say that adrian22 did not know that or he would not have posted.
Please refrain from yelling (CAPS) as if he knew, or as if I should have known that they are no longer made.
Unfortunately, many on-line vendors list them as "out of stock" rather than saying "no longer available."
-MIJ
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

Archer
Year and Model: 1998 V70 T5/S70 T5M
United States of America
Archer

Post by Archer » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:51 pm

Drip molding....I have a V70R and both of mine were cracked/rotted. I peeled them off the plastic molding and also removed the plastic piece (have rails, so the windshield segment came off easily enough) I went to a local self-serve salvage yard and found two decent rubber strips off an S80 that were the same, more or less. Surprised I found such good ones because it appears that these rubber strips all have the same fate - to deteriorate. I believe the "S" series are compatible. Anyhow, cleaned off the old rough glue bits from the rubber strips and applied contact cement to both pieces (rubber strip & plastic molding segment) masked off the painted area accordingly and put the pieces together - worked well. Also bought new clips and windshield corner trim fro IPD. Bummer that this part is discontinued, it would be nice to have a new back-up waiting.