IPD sale Volvo Parts
XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics My Swedish Parts ad - genuine Volvo parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Buyers Advice P2 vs P3

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

JRL
Year and Model: Several
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
JRL

Re: Buyers Advice P2 vs P3

Post by JRL » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:23 pm

Slow as s**t, the 2011s were reprogrammed big time
Burn oil
Many engine rebuilds at my dealer

2000 V70R Black, 144,000 miles Wife's R.
2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

Contact info for purchases: [email protected]

vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
United States of America
vtl

Post by vtl » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:45 am

JRL wrote:Slow as s**t, the 2011s were reprogrammed big time
Are you talking about 3.2 N/A engines? Or 3.0T too?

2005 XC70 250k
2016 XC60 40k

JRL
United States of America
JRL

Post by JRL » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:51 am

Turbos are not slow but otherwise they have the same internal engine issues
Very few T6s sold and for sale until 2011-2012 models

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

vtl
United States of America
vtl

Post by vtl » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:58 am

JRL wrote:Turbos are not slow but otherwise they have the same internal engine issues
Very few T6s sold and for sale until 2011-2012 models
But then it's a common issue with N/A engines: they feel slow if you drive a BIG turbo. V70 with 2.4 N/A was like a space rocket compared to 1.4 3-cylinder turbodiesel Volkswagen I had before :)

2005 XC70 250k
2016 XC60 40k

JRL
United States of America
JRL

Post by JRL » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:09 pm

No, the early 6s WERE/ARE very slow and sluggish
No bottom end

mecheng
Year and Model: 1998 Volvo S70 T5
Canada
mecheng

Post by mecheng » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:49 pm

interesting to learn about the 3.0L, thanks for the input. We ended up spending the money on a hot tub instead; such a great way to sooth sore muscles and enjoy the outdoors. I fixed the oil cooler lines in my S70 and put the repairs in perspective, even though replacing them was painful and frustrating it is a good learning experience.

If I'm looking, I will go P2 or maybe 2011+S60 off lease, for now I'm happy and want to pay off the house.

1998 Volvo S70 T5 - SE - 240km - Sold July 2018
1997 Volvo 850 GLT - 190km
Boost is my drug of choice

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:33 pm

mecheng wrote:Volvo guys have a lot of disdain for Ford, not sure if it's warranted
We all at some point got hold of one of the early Taurus things and never got over it. Or a Tempo. Or a Focus (long term Focus owners inevitably end up replacing the "o" with a "u" before running from Ford products for the rest of their life) We all said never again. We all know someone with a relatively low mileage well maintained Ford current or recent that experienced catastrophic engine or transmission failure...just after the warranty expired. But then there are probably a lot of P2-T6 former Volvo owners that think the same thing about Volvo.

mecheng
Canada
mecheng

Post by mecheng » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:33 am

mrbrian200 wrote:
mecheng wrote:Volvo guys have a lot of disdain for Ford, not sure if it's warranted
We all at some point got hold of one of the early Taurus things and never got over it. Or a Tempo. Or a Focus (long term Focus owners inevitably end up replacing the "o" with a "u" before running from Ford products for the rest of their life) We all said never again. We all know someone with a relatively low mileage well maintained Ford current or recent that experienced catastrophic engine or transmission failure...just after the warranty expired. But then there are probably a lot of P2-T6 former Volvo owners that think the same thing about Volvo.
I have no fondness for Ford but some of the poor decisions/designs Volvo made/used were before Ford's input: crappy drive by wire, crappy 5 speed autos, fragile AWD, over complicated PCV. I think Geely is doing okay with them for now by for the most part letting them be, but I fear their master plan is to source all production in China and that means the component manufacturing as well and that will be a hell of a lot worst than what Ford ever did. It is one thing to assemble, it is a completely different thing to make precision components with high quality steel (Chinese steel is still recycled junk with lots of impurities). They have started with the long wheel base S60, it is made in China.

As for Ford, the new Focus is amazing. I suspect most of it is designed in Germany, and it shows. It drives amazing, and the turbo is great. I also love the look of the F150; so I think they have turned a new leaf.

vtl
United States of America
vtl

Post by vtl » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:07 am

mecheng wrote:I have no fondness for Ford but some of the poor decisions/designs Volvo made/used were before Ford's input: crappy drive by wire,
Please explain?
mecheng wrote:crappy 5 speed autos,
Made by Toyota-owned company. It's not crappy. First couple of years it had design problems, but, hey, welcome to automotive engineering! :)
mecheng wrote:fragile AWD,
Again, what's wrong with it? The sleeve was reinforced, bevel gear lasts more than a decade even with leaks, Haldex dies in a decade too, read diff is almost indestructible. What is fragile here?
mecheng wrote:over complicated PCV.
Simple one circuit scheme and oil separator and heated PTC in N/A engines. Two circuits in turbo. What you think is unnecessary in this system?
mecheng wrote:I think Geely is doing okay with them for now by for the most part letting them be, but I fear their master plan is to source all production in China and that means the component manufacturing as well and that will be a hell of a lot worst than what Ford ever did. It is one thing to assemble, it is a completely different thing to make precision components with high quality steel (Chinese steel is still recycled junk with lots of impurities). They have started with the long wheel base S60, it is made in China.
Actually Geely's owner forces Volvo to make BMW 7-series.

Long wheel base is a local Chinese "feature", all major foreign brands sell them in China.
mecheng wrote:As for Ford, the new Focus is amazing. I suspect most of it is designed in Germany, and it shows. It drives amazing, and the turbo is great. I also love the look of the F150; so I think they have turned a new leaf.
Yes, very good car. A colleague bought it last November, at 3k miles already had transmission inspected by the dealer, next visit will be a new transmission. Wonderful car.

2005 XC70 250k
2016 XC60 40k

mecheng
Canada
mecheng

Post by mecheng » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:07 pm

vtl wrote:
mecheng wrote:I have no fondness for Ford but some of the poor decisions/designs Volvo made/used were before Ford's input: crappy drive by wire,
vtl wrote:Please explain?
Ford bought Volvo in 1999, the problems with the S70/850 while nothing too major are not from the merger as some ppl would imagine as soon as Ford took over ppl think they mandated the ETM, which is not true, it was in the works for a while. Yes it was supplied by Italian MM but ownership is always with the OEM to do the proper qualification testing

mecheng wrote:crappy 5 speed autos,
vtl wrote:
Made by Toyota-owned company. It's not crappy. First couple of years it had design problems, but, hey, welcome to automotive engineering! :)

Once again, the ownership is with the OEM to properly qualify their Tier 2 products.
mecheng wrote:fragile AWD,
vtl wrote:
Again, what's wrong with it? The sleeve was reinforced, bevel gear lasts more than a decade even with leaks, Haldex dies in a decade too, read diff is almost indestructible. What is fragile here?
Compared to a simple Subaru which is bullet proof.. How many Volvo ppl disconnect their AWD, on the P80, I would say its +75%
mecheng wrote:over complicated PCV.
vtl wrote:
Simple one circuit scheme and oil separator and heated PTC in N/A engines. Two circuits in turbo. What you think is unnecessary in this system?
Total time to replace PCV valve in any of my Hondas: 1 minute, remove PCV valve from hose which is on top of valve cover and replace. The Volvo PCV in P80s is not very accessible (you have to remove the intake manifold using woble sockets) and it is prone to clogging due to non heated circuit.

mecheng wrote:I think Geely is doing okay with them for now by for the most part letting them be, but I fear their master plan is to source all production in China and that means the component manufacturing as well and that will be a hell of a lot worst than what Ford ever did. It is one thing to assemble, it is a completely different thing to make precision components with high quality steel (Chinese steel is still recycled junk with lots of impurities). They have started with the long wheel base S60, it is made in China.
vtl wrote: Actually Geely's owner forces Volvo to make BMW 7-series.
Long wheel base is a local Chinese "feature", all major foreign brands sell them in China.

I will never buy a car Made in China, never. A lot of ppl share my opinion. Just like I'd never buy a German car which is made in Mexico (VW for example). China can keep their Chauffeur version for their domestic market, that would be great.
Geely is just the money man, their cars are complete garbage, go watch one of their cars in a crash test. The are obviously copying the design and engineering used in the Volvo to make their cars better so they can export them. Instead of espionage which is used by the govt they are doing it by buying out international companies.
mecheng wrote:As for Ford, the new Focus is amazing. I suspect most of it is designed in Germany, and it shows. It drives amazing, and the turbo is great. I also love the look of the F150; so I think they have turned a new leaf.
Yes, very good car. A colleague bought it last November, at 3k miles already had transmission inspected by the dealer, next visit will be a new transmission. Wonderful car.
Auto trans or manual?