IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

S60 2002 A/C Magnetic Clutch Fix (instead of 'bread clip fix')

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

coflynn
Year and Model: 2002 S60 AWD
Has thanked: 0
Canada
coflynn

Volvo Repair Database S60 2002 A/C Magnetic Clutch Fix (instead of 'bread clip fix')

Post by coflynn » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:56 pm

My A/C has been dead for a while, and it was clearly the gap problem. I don't use the A/C enough to "properly" fix it, and never had luck getting the breadclip fixes to last very long. I couldn't get zip-ties in as was too lazy to pull back the inner wheel well too.

I finally tried another method to fix it. It's a bit of a hack which can easily burn out the magnetic clutch, but honestly I'm never going to properly fix the A/C, so would rather have done this, and if it breaks again will give up.

I used a DC-DC converter to increase the voltage being fed into the magnetic clutch. This will increase the strength of the electromagnetic pull-in. I used the following specific device: DROK 150W DC Boost Converter on Amazon. It's available on Amazon.ca as well.

If you have time you can order from Aliexpress for $4, but I wanted prime shipping so paid the extra fee. The device isn't really designed for automotive use so it seems likely to burn out from heat. I'd check it occasionally and watch for the capacitors to buldge out, keep an extra 1 or 2 of them on-hand to replace.

Once you've got this, it's a simple process:
  • In the front fuse box, find the grey wire. Cut the wire - the part coming from the relay goes to the "IN+", do not connect the "OUT+" yet!
  • Connect the ground wire ("IN-") to a grounding point near the fuse box. I couldn't find an easy ground in the box.
  • Power up the system, and turn on the A/C. The green light should come on. Measure the output voltage and adjust it down to about 15V.
  • Turn everything off, then connect the "OUT+" to the grey wire going out.
  • Replace the input fuse on the board with something smaller (default is 15A), I'd go for about 5A-8A and see if it doesn't burn out.
BE CAREFUL WITH VOLTAGE ADJUSTMENT I set mine around 15-16V, which seems to be the level required for my clutch to not drop out once it warms up. This is about 15%-25% higher than normal, meaning you'll get 15-25% more current through the electromagnet, and more heating as well. This may burn out the coil too since it's not designed to run at higher currents. If you set the voltage too high it WILL burn out the electromagnet.

I measured quickly and it seemed the normal current draw on the clutch was about 3A (at regular car voltage).

Last edited by coflynn on Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: S60 2002 A/C Magnetic Clutch Fix (instead of 'breadclip fix')

Post by abscate » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:12 am

That's a nice hack but AC in NS?

Maybe in the south lands of PEI ....

:-)
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

coflynn
Canada
coflynn

Re: S60 2002 A/C Magnetic Clutch Fix (instead of 'breadclip fix')

Post by coflynn » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:01 am

Ha... the 100% humidity days have been the worst for it lately. But I lived 3 years without it as there's normally only about a week you really need it.

On the plus side I'm not too worried if it burns out. So far so good though - no sign of it cutting out!

polskamafia mjl
Year and Model: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R
Poland
polskamafia mjl

Re: S60 2002 A/C Magnetic Clutch Fix (instead of 'bread clip fix')

Post by polskamafia mjl » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:03 pm

Awesome that this worked! I feel like this was a lot more work than zip ties, though. lol
'All my money is gone and I have an old Volvo.' - Bamse's Turbo Underpants

Current: 1995 Volvo 850 T-5R Manual - Bringing it back from the brink of death
Previous: 1996 Volvo 850 GLT - Totaled

coflynn
Canada
coflynn

Post by coflynn » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:15 pm

I struggled before with the zip-tie fix... could never get them to fit from the top or they kept flying out, so this fix was way easier... 10 mins tops!

Whereas it takes me 15 mins just to get my jack+jackstands setup in the driveway, so if I was trying to go via wheel liner would have been a much longer procedure.

EDIT: Also my background is all electronic stuff, so anything I can fix with electronics vs. a wrench is 'easier' in my book ;-)

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:49 pm

Once engaged I would think the normal voltage/current should hold the clutch engaged. Higher voltage need only be applied momentarily during initial engagement (I would guess around 100-250ms), then dropped back to normal voltage. With a (somewhat) more complex circuit you should be able to accomplish this with a much lower risk of burning out the electromagnetic coil as damaging the windings would be a function of excessive heat buildup over a more extended time.

Driver4life05
Year and Model: 2001
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Driver4life05

Post by Driver4life05 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:00 pm

Idk if this can be the same problem but what I found out might help. One day the air blew hot. I went and started the recharge process with buying the guage and a couple cans of the green stuff. Filled it up and it came out cold. No biggie. Than I took a look at the measurements again and came to find that I was still under pressure when the clutch compressor engaged. So I bought another can and started to fill it up. After I filled it up, the clutch didn't want to engage anymore. I was confused.

Than after about a day of frustration, I went to the port where I was adding the green stuff in and took a screw driver and pushed on the needle to release air because I thought that maybe it had to much pressure. Well low and behold I let the air out until the green stuff started coming out and walla!! The compressor engaged and blew cold air again in the cabin.

My consensus is that when recharging the system it tends to fill with air and the compressor works off of pressure right? I have no idea what I'm talking about but if it does than I released the pressure build up in the system which released the tension of the plate and clutch in the compressor so it can engage smoothly and stay in gear without friction build up due to pressure from the air build up in the lines.

This might be one reason why the compressor doesn't stay engaged. Have a nice day!

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:57 pm

If you overcharge the system will shut off the compressor. The gauges are notoriously inaccurate , as well as the pressure in the system isn't a good spec unless your are at high idle and system equibrated.

If you really know your AC like jimmy you can get this right, for the rest of us the best strategy is recover old Freon , vacuum system, confirm integrity, then add charge by weight to spec. Done.

People who add a " can or two" each summer will have no AC in Hades when they are sent there.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary