IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2004 S60 ABS Issues, Wheel Shakes and Tons of SET Codes

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

sek
Year and Model: 2004 S60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
sek

2004 S60 ABS Issues, Wheel Shakes and Tons of SET Codes

Post by sek » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:56 am

I have a 2004 S60. I have had it since 2011 and I believe I am only the second owner. It was bought from a dealer as a lease turn in from a company. When I purchased it in 2011 it only had 40,000 miles. Which seemed like a good deal. But within a years time it became a nightmare. Seems to be plagued by gremlins. The latest issue is the Brake Failure Message Stop Safely. I have done the putting a wooden clothespin inbetween the BCM and that does seem to get the light to go off, but only for a little while. Light when come on again and then I will jiggle it again and it goes off. So I am guessing I probably will definitely need to replace the BCM.

But for now I have done the in vehicle DTC check and have the following codes:

BCM SET
SRS SET
TCM Checking
ECM SET
AUM Ready
CEM SET
DIM Ready
DDM SET
CCM Checking
PDM SET
PSM SET
REM Checking
SWM SET
UEM SET

I have purchased the VOLVO iCarsoft i906 OBD2 Engine Vehicle Diagnostic Tool Code Fault Multi-System OBD-II Scanner so it should be here tomorrow. So I can further read the errors. And hopefully some of the SET codes are faults that just have never been cleared. But at first glance very discouraging.

The other issue I experience is when the AC is on, it really seems to weigh the transmission down. Seems to cause shifting issues. Seems crazy, right? But when the AC is off the transmission is fine and have no issues at all. What on earth could that be??

And this happens once in a while, but I can't seem to figure out a pattern is the wheel would shake awful when first starting the car . Hasn't done it in a while, but it used to be a regular occurrence. Any ideas/thoughts?? https://youtu.be/ApJO-T40X38

Would love to get rid of this car, but that is not an option at the moment. Ugh what a money pit!!

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: 2004 S60 ABS Issues, Wheel Shakes and Tons of SET Codes

Post by oragex » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:09 pm

It had 40000 miles at 8 yrs being a rental? Try read the car's computer see if the mileage stored corresponds with the one shown on the DIM

There might be many codes triggered by a simple electrical issue, such as corroded connectors at the main engine computer, near the steering fluid reservoir.

For the steering wheel, I'd check all engine mounts. For the brake message, also check for cracked reluctor rings. Here's for the BCM module

For the a/c, I'd remove the serpentine belt and check by hand the a/c, alternator, roller, pump, all pulleys.

sek
Year and Model: 2004 S60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
sek

Re: 2004 S60 ABS Issues, Wheel Shakes and Tons of SET Codes

Post by sek » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:49 pm

Thanks for some suggestions. Will certainly look at those. How do I read the car's computer see if the mileage stored corresponds with the one shown on the DIM? I have a feeling that the Brake Failure message probably occurred before I purchased it as well. And of course with this issue the Odometer stops, as it has now with me because of this BCM issue. So I will be curious to see what it does read.
oragex wrote:It had 40000 miles at 8 yrs being a rental? Try read the car's computer see if the mileage stored corresponds with the one shown on the DIM

There might be many codes triggered by a simple electrical issue, such as corroded connectors at the main engine computer, near the steering fluid reservoir.

For the steering wheel, I'd check all engine mounts. For the brake message, also check for cracked reluctor rings. Here's for the BCM module

For the a/c, I'd remove the serpentine belt and check by hand the a/c, alternator, roller, pump, all pulleys.