IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Start Prevented Try Again

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

CraigT
Year and Model: 2004 V70R

Start Prevented Try Again

Post by CraigT »

Hello all,

I'm looking for a little help. What I have is a 2001 XC70 with a start prevented try again in the DIM. Here is the story on its origin. R&R'ed the PCV and complete timing belt replacement with H2O pump. While working on this car, it's belongs to my lady, I was hearing a little fan blower sound when inside the cabin. After I has assembled front of engine and rotated engine to double check my work, the battery was down. I was thinking that maybe doors left open with a 48 month old battery. Recharged and cranked up, ran good like a Volvo should. Next morning battery was dead. I disconnected the little fan on the backside of the ECC module. Charged battery and once again battery died over night. Battery checked out good. Checked amp draw, pulling some current with everything off with my lady crammed in the back with the hatch down. Was a lovely sight with that look on her face. Anyways we got into the front of the cabin and interior lights acted really strange, but would eventually go off. However the ignition key bezel light stayed lite. OK, she needs car running for work and I don't have an extension cord long enough to follow her around for the charger. Sooo I decide to remove bulb from bezel until I can discover the true cause of light staying lit. While it was apart I could crank up the car. Now that it doesn't have parts laying on floor I get the Start Prevented Try Again. What have I done??
fixer333
Year and Model: 2007 xc70

Re: Start Prevented Try Again

Post by fixer333 »

That warning is part of the anti theft system, the antenna ring that communicates with the chipped key is right around the ignition ( the area that you worked on). Did you leave it unplugged or damage it? This problem came up on mine when my old starter battery's voltage was low and would not charge fully. The best way to find a parasitic power draw is to use a volt meter set on amps and put it in series with negative battery terminal and if the draw is over 50 Ma (rule of thumb) start pulling fuses until you find the drain.
CraigT
Year and Model: 2004 V70R

Post by CraigT »

Thanks
Will remember the fuse pulling the next time I try to locate a current draw. The antenna ring? Is that in the small module that hangs around the key hole with a small harness connector with about 6 to 8 wires? And if so, do you know the continuity reading on it? Mine is showing a high reading, but not an open.
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

That bulb might be in series with some part of the antenna ring immobiliser circuit so I would put it back

The 1999 on climate system does turn the fan on after shot down to keep the evaporator from corroding, so fan noise after shutting off is not necessarily a problem
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary