IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Split Loom Deterioration

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Marauder 1
Year and Model: 2001 V70 2.4T
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Marauder 1

Split Loom Deterioration

Post by Marauder 1 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:39 am

I was working under the hood of the V70 last night and noticed much of the plastic split loom has deteriorated to the point if you touch it it falls to pieces. I had some in my tool kit but I'm wondering if I need to replace it with a different type. I've found some high heat stuff but I've been looking for something that will not be so susceptible to heat and deterioration. Does anyone know of some with a heat shield?
Thanks
Mark

fixer333
Year and Model: 2007 xc70
United States of America
fixer333

Re: Split Loom Deterioration

Post by fixer333 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:25 am

Mt 2007 xc70 was the same way. The worst loom was the one for the coil packs( has most heat, on top of the head under the plastic cover).Injector loom was bad also and any area that has high heat.I have worked on cars( all makes / models) for years and have never seen looms rotted like this. The plastic in these looms is sub par. I just went to the auto parts store and bought several sizes of split plastic loom( Doorman brand) I have used this before and it has lasted well in higher heat areas. Dont use electrical tape to wrap the looms. The best performing, most durable and easy to use is self bonding silicon tape, It has no glue to soften and melt out everywhere , making a mess. You just wrap it on and it sticks to itself to make a permanent bond and is good up to 500 degrees.

Marauder 1
United States of America
Marauder 1

Post by Marauder 1 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:57 am

Thanks for the reply, I was looking at the Doorman stuff it's not expensive so that is not an issue. Great idea with the silicon tape. Did you use a particular brand? Looks like a project to replace all of it in the high heat areas, then work out from there. Again it's good to know I'm not the only one seeing this.
Seeya
Mark

fixer333
United States of America
fixer333

Post by fixer333 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:35 pm

I used" Rescue tape" because that is what they had at the local ace hardware, but it was expensive there( worked very well and was easy to use) , about $11 a roll and it took 2 1/2 rolls.I only used continuous wraps where the factory did( wrapped it just like the factory did). I have seen prices anywhere from $5 -$12 for about 10 feet. Home depot and lowes carry different types in the their plumbing and tape areas. Duck brand is about the cheapest I have seen and they usually make good stuff. Harbor freight has some cheap, but it is supposed to be very hard to use. The loom I used should hold up better than the OEM, but there is probably better out there. I forgot to mention all most all of the pieces of tape I used , even the long ones , were 1" tape cut in half lengthwise...so 1/2 " wide. I found this easier to use and it double the length you get off the roll. It cuts really easy.

mtd240
Year and Model: 2007 XC70
United States of America
mtd240

Post by mtd240 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:37 pm

I have noticed that on my new (to me) '07. Looks like a mouse gnawed all of it. Maybe that's what happened. Anyway, here is a link to some of the silicon tape - I bought it for my 240 a couple years ago, and still have some left, so that's probably what I'll be doing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L ... =UTF8&th=1
1990 240 DL Wagon, M47, lots of goodies. 372,000 miles
2007 XC70, white/oak
2016 XC60, osmium grey / off-black

Gone:
1978 242, lots and lots of work to get a reliable daily
1998 V70 XC, Almost done replacing everything, then I sold it :lol:
1996 850 NA, victim of sporadic tree falling. Protected the wife. RIP Volvo

Canadian Moose
Year and Model: 2002 V70
Canada
Canadian Moose

Post by Canadian Moose » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:10 am

I think when Ford took over they went all out in cost cutting and that was their way of saving a dime. They use cheap, Chinese loom. When I swapped the motor in mine I ended up replacing all of the loom and wrapping the entire thing with electrical tape. I like using Tesa cloth fabric tape. It seems to hold up better than regular vinyl and stays more flexible.

Marauder 1
United States of America
Marauder 1

Post by Marauder 1 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:36 pm

Do you guys think this condition might be more likely to happen on a Turbo model due to the heat? I did notice that the portions under the electrical tape were actually in good shape. So the extra layer of plastic seem to keep the plastic safe. I wonder if anyone makes a foil heat shielded split loom? I haven't checked up under the plastic cover yet, I'm sure it's the same story there.
Thanks
Mark

fixer333
United States of America
fixer333

Post by fixer333 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:34 am

Marauder 1 wrote:Do you guys think this condition might be more likely to happen on a Turbo model due to the heat? I did notice that the portions under the electrical tape were actually in good shape. So the extra layer of plastic seem to keep the plastic safe. I wonder if anyone makes a foil heat shielded split loom? I haven't checked up under the plastic cover yet, I'm sure it's the same story there.
Thanks
Mark
Its definitely worse where the loom was exposed to high heat ( right near the block /touching the head ) and especially under the plastic cover on the head( the coil pack loom). Virtually all of mine( under the cover) turned to dust when touched. Even the wiring itself is some what heat damaged , dry / brittle. I know foils will reflect radiant heat away , but under that cover the ambient temps are very high also , so I don't know if the foil would make much difference? It might. Here is some wrap that you could put over the loom. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 090&rt=rud
and http://www.haywireinc.com/index.cfm/pag ... prd243.htm

Marauder 1
United States of America
Marauder 1

Post by Marauder 1 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:47 am

Thanks for the replay and the info.

That's some interesting stuff, I've used their glass tape before for rebuilding transformers for audio amps. It's good stuff but make sure you use gloves when using it. I was thinking more of using something along these lines http://www.jegs.com/p/Vibrant-Performan ... 4/10002/-1 But I don't know if the diameter is correct.

Also do you think having an aluminum wrap that close to the coils might create any issues? I would think if the insulator boots on the coils are in good shape it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again
Mark
Now looking to ad a XC70 to my collection