IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Looking for repair/fix DVD for Navigation error "Cannot Read Disc" Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

UCrazyKid
Year and Model: V70 2004
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
UCrazyKid

Looking for repair/fix DVD for Navigation error "Cannot Read Disc"  Topic is solved

Post by UCrazyKid » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:22 pm

I know this has been covered a lot and I have done a bunch of searching but cannot find what I am looking for.

The Story
Battery died, after replacement navigation will not load, give error of "cannot read disc" yadda, yadda, yadda
I have removed the unit, cleaned the lense and unit.
I have made a copy of my DVD to a new disc (no errors, no scratches, etc.) no different.

I have read that the dealers had a disk that loaded new software to repair a bug in the firmware that was causing this error. I would like to get that disk.

Does anyone have the part number for that repair software/disk? Does anyone have a copy of this disk? Is there a torrent somewhere to download this repair?

Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Thanks!
Andy

UCrazyKid
Year and Model: V70 2004
United States of America
UCrazyKid

Re: Looking for repair/fix DVD for Navigation error "Cannot Read Disc"

Post by UCrazyKid » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:22 pm

Fixed!! My system is working again. All that was needed was a newer generation (2014) maps disk.

Longer story: My hypothesis is this. The car must have shipped in 2004 with the firmware (software that runs the VNS (not maps) preloaded in the unit (unit includes DVD drive). The maps disk that comes installed when new likely ONLY includes map files and NOT firmware. I suspect that the VNS unit has a battery in it that retains the memory (containing the firmware) for times when the cars main battery dies. I suspect that as the cars have aged, this VNS internal battery dies. The next time the cars battery dies or is removed the VNS loses its firmware and is unable to run again. I assume that the new DVD releases contain a firmware update file as well as the new maps file. When the new disk is placed in the drive, the VNS finds the firmware update file and runs it. This loads the (new) firmware into the VNS, solving the issue of the missing firmware from the original factory supplied maps DVD. Once the new firmware is loaded, the VNS will continue to work! I do suspect that the next time Inreplace a battery or disconnect it to do service, that the VNS will need to reload the firmware from the DVD again. Something that only takes about 1-2min.

I hope this can help others with this problem. There is no need to buy another VNS unit if this is the problem. Just get access to a new map disk set (dealer, eBay, friend).

Cheers,
Andy

MadBadger
Year and Model: 2011 xc70
United States of America
MadBadger

Post by MadBadger » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:04 pm

I have a 2011 xc70 with the navigation system. The navigation works okay but it doesn't have certain states (like Maine) at the address level. I talked to the dealer and he said disk updates are no longer available and nav company went out of business. Sorry.

Not sure if my nav system is similar with earlier Volvo models. I haven' t seen the update disks on eBay but maybe I'm not searching properly. I know this may be the wrong board to post on (p2) but thought I'd try.

Any advice appreciated on how to get an update nav disk.

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:17 pm

MadBadger, if an answer for your question appears, I'll split your post into its own topic in the 2008+ forum.

If you post a new topic there, please let me know and/or post a link in this topic to the new topic. Thank you.
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]