IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Leak from power steering rack-need advice-07 S60R

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

neworleans
Year and Model: 2007 S60R

Leak from power steering rack-need advice-07 S60R

Post by neworleans »

Hello everyone,

I was working on my car yesterday and trying to replace the inner and outer tie rides. Removed the outer ones and then the booths on each side. As soon as I removed the passenger side boot, oil came out probably about 4oz or something. I didn't notice any leaks before and the outside of the boot was dry. The boot was in good shape, no tears or crack in other words good enough to keep the oil inside. I bought this car a month ago and have never driven it yet, in the process of replacing the subframe, radiator, intercoolers and condenser. Do you guys think that I may have damaged the rack while changing the outer tie rods or this has been a leak for a while. The car was hit a curbe something and damaged the subframe, thinking that that may also caused the leak. In this case do I really need to replace the rack now? If so what would you recommend? The OEM rack is around 1400 bucks which I can't affor. I am in need of your advice. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Rack2.jpg
Rack1.jpg
vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70

Re: Leak from power steering rack-need advice-07 S60R

Post by vtl »

Apparently rack was damaged in accident you mentioned. I'd replace it with a new rack. Alternatively, bring your rack to a rebuilder, there's a chance it can be repaired (but I'd still opt for a used rack).
05 XC70 265k, 16 XC60 45k, 19 Tundra 5k
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Post by oragex »

There are really not many options for a rebuilt kit, this site "I've heard" sells quality rebuilds but better triple check http://www.jorgenauto.com/rack-pinion/volvo.html

As above, probably the easiest but still risky option is a used one from a R, I would remove the inner dust boots as in the picture to check the rack is completely rust free

Till then, if the rack is not rusted - as it appears in the picture, I would place a magnet by a wire inside p/s reservoir to catch all metal debris, leave it there several days. And try cleaning around the rack bar near the seal with the wheels at full turn+ make sure the dust boot is very well secured by a proper clamp - for example on mine it had a tie wrap and water got inside the dust boot.
vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70

Post by vtl »

Rack has a graphite-like seal inside, it can be damaged by applying force to tie rod radially. This is probably what has happened.
05 XC70 265k, 16 XC60 45k, 19 Tundra 5k
neworleans

Post by neworleans »

Oragex,

Called the place you gave a link for and got a quote for 450+30(shipping). Comes with lifetime warranty.
I also found another place called Detroit Axle, they have it for 250 including shipping plus when I send my old one they give 35 bucks back and comes with a lifetime warranty as well.

I am going to order it from the Detroit.

Vtl,

You might be right I may have damaged it while unscrewing that freaking bolt that is right after the outer tie rod. Ohh well, I am just going to think that it was already damaged to feel better :)
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Post by oragex »

Might as well ask them if the rack seals have been replaced and which brand along with the brands used for the dust boots if any. There are plenty of 'rebuilds' out there who use cheap materials or simply just replace the dust boots. Not the kind of job to be done twice :wink:
neworleans

Post by neworleans »

I know that it doesnt come with the boots, will need to buy them separately. I was thinking of getting a Lamforder boot from fcp or from Napa. I thought they would use a good brand since they are offering a lifetime warranty but will ask again.

Any other recommendations for the boots?