Amazon Black Friday deals
IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

What did you do to your P2 Volvo today?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD

Re: What did you do to your P2 Volvo today....now sticky!!

Post by mrbrian200 »

Horray! Got a floor mat from local lkq after 2 years waiting one finally came in with the exact style drivers floor mat that was missing when I bought the car. The other three I had. Also picked the brake pedal position sensor. I replaced mine with aftermarket. It worked for a year but in the last few weeks I'm seeing a DTC code for it again (in VIDA the sweep registers the position in millimeters but the on/off state switch doesn't switch to 'on' when I depress the brake pedal)
mat.JPG
mat.JPG (100.09 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
It was pretty dirty. Cleaned up nicely with barely noticeable wear visible that isn't enough to bother me.
Came out of this one in South Bend IN:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (51.88 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
Looked like a fairly well maintained S60 got T-boned on the passenger side. I might go back for more stuff off it. The oil trap/PCV hoses looked brand new, as did the coil packs. The rail/injectors and VVT solenoids were already gone.
JRL
Year and Model: Several

Post by JRL »

Installed one "El cheapo" Chinese made hatch strut in my 07. Mine are juuuuust starting to become weak in the cold and this one is just fine.... for now.

If I decide to spend more money in the spring I can replace both with better quality and more expensive ones, but for $19, WTH!
2000 V70R Black, 144,000 miles Wife's R.
2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

Contact info for purchases: [email protected]
oldandbroke
Year and Model: 2001 V70 2.4 NA

Post by oldandbroke »

I bought it! :-)

My only prior Volvo was a 1984 240GL that I purchased in the mid 90s with 204K miles on the odo, and had to sell after a year due to moving cross country. No problems with that one while I owned it, hoping this one goes the same way!

The path that led me to this one is a sad tale involving my prior commuter car being struck while parked in front of my house. The damage wasn't terrible, but it was an old and high-ish mileage car, so it was totaled, and I didn't get much for it. I'd owned that car for 5 years, it was super reliable, and I bought it for a song.

I picked up the 2001 2.4 NA pictured above this morning. I know that 01 and 02 were trouble years for this generation, but it's manual trans, no turbo, no awd, timing assembly already replaced. I'm not sure about the ETM but at 170K miles I'm hoping/thinking it (and other common bad parts) would have failed by now.

The price was right, the car drives great, no known issues at this time. I've been frantically reading here and on a couple of other forums the past few days while the deal came together, and my only fear is that the ETM could still be original, and I have to admit I didn't "glove test" the PCV. That's coming though.

Anyhow, I'm suprisingly excited to have just purchased a 15 year old car, and looking forward to learning a bit from everyone here. It will be awhile before I trust it like the car it replaced. Circumstances were such that I had to rely on my own (intermediate) knowledge of cars and some quick reading to assess it, so I'm back in the world of "I hope this used car wasn't beaten to death before I got it" - but I feel pretty good about it. :-)
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Post by oragex »

Congrats and welcome on the forum.
Manual transmissions fail at the slave cylinder (transmission has to come out) but at 170k I suspect it was already replaced unless the car has mostly highway miles. These transmissions are rare and quite a treat on these cars even with the N/A (I actually prefer the N/A for city driving, so I can rev it a little before reaching the speed limit)
PCV test is fairly simple, not sure if it's ok but I've tested mine after a cold start, so I didn't get burnt (the oil cap seal may leak though, easy to replace).
While there may want to check out the intake air thermostat on these cars ( also check the comments section), it may save you some fuel.

The key with these cars is pretty much just to use the correct brands for the replacement parts (Sachs, Lemforder, Ina, Bosch in my books)
oragex

Post by oragex »

All gauges up for a little celebration - not the actual mileage (in km) as the DIM is swapped, real mileage being 200K km but still. I just missed by a few minutes, the temperature was 3C as well :D
2017_12_02_13_17_48_ProShot.jpg
2017_12_02_13_18_03_ProShot.jpg
oldandbroke

Post by oldandbroke »

oragex wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:33 pm Congrats and welcome on the forum.

The key with these cars is pretty much just to use the correct brands for the replacement parts (Sachs, Lemforder, Ina, Bosch in my books)
Thanks for the warm welcome and info! I'm pretty sure I'll have to make a "noobie questions thread" soon anyhow, but I've already added what you provided to my notes, and I'll check the intake air themostat as well, and bear the clutch slave cylinder in mind. :-)

I always prefer a manual in any car, but for reasons haven't actually owned one since 2003. My 13 year old was riding with me in this one today and asked me why the car kept making him lean forward sometimes. I guess I need awhile to get smooth with my shifts again, I didn't think I was doing that bad!!! :-) But you are right for sure. Although I was being gentle-ish with it on our maiden trip together, I found when driving it home that power was surprisingly adequate for merging onto the highway with no drama and no need to "get on it." It's easy for me to believe that the turbo and R versions of these are real sleepers.

So yeah, I'm super thrilled with it, and look forward to many years with it.

Thanks again!
Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base

Post by Georgeandkira »

PRYING QUESTIONS DEPT.:
1) Roughly where in PA are you?

2) How much did you pay? Sounds personal but it's not. "Fair" prices land in a broad range. The range is established by age, mileage, maintenance level, appearance and urgency on everyone's part. Immediately needed maintenance is a BIG wildcard.

3) Besides knowing the timing belt was done did you get any service records?

4) Private sale or dealer? I swore on my soul that I'd never buy from a dealership a second time (buying a new 1995 Subaru being the first time) alas, after 2 years of searching, I found an acceptable example....at a dealer. Oh the shame!

BUSYBODY SUGGESTIONS DEPT.:
I'm going to guess that shocks/struts and brakes will come 'round as your first jobs on that car.

Feel the "woosh" of your heater/AC output. If it's weak your cabin air filter may be clogged or even original to the car.

There is a trio of hoses on the intake manifold right of center as you look at it from the front of the car, inboard from the ETM (ergo, the left side of the intake manifold) near the intake air's big hose.
One reaches forward to a small valve under the header panel. Another larger one is part of the EVAP system and the third is small and provides vacuum to the airbox thermostat mentioned above. It is on a 90º rubber elbow which breaks. The elbow itself conceals the split well so check it. There are 2 more of these rubber elbows on the air cleaner box lid.

I sold my 2002 auto with 198,600 miles to the first guy who test drove it for $2,500. Good luck with yours.
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

oldandbroke wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:54 am I bought it! :-)

My only prior Volvo was a 1984 240GL that I purchased in the mid 90s with 204K miles on the odo, and had to sell after a year due to moving cross country. No problems with that one while I owned it, hoping this one goes the same way!

The path that led me to this one is a sad tale involving my prior commuter car being struck while parked in front of my house. The damage wasn't terrible, but it was an old and high-ish mileage car, so it was totaled, and I didn't get much for it. I'd owned that car for 5 years, it was super reliable, and I bought it for a song.

I picked up the 2001 2.4 NA pictured above this morning. I know that 01 and 02 were trouble years for this generation, but it's manual trans, no turbo, no awd, timing assembly already replaced. I'm not sure about the ETM but at 170K miles I'm hoping/thinking it (and other common bad parts) would have failed by now.

The price was right, the car drives great, no known issues at this time. I've been frantically reading here and on a couple of other forums the past few days while the deal came together, and my only fear is that the ETM could still be original, and I have to admit I didn't "glove test" the PCV. That's coming though.

Anyhow, I'm suprisingly excited to have just purchased a 15 year old car, and looking forward to learning a bit from everyone here. It will be awhile before I trust it like the car it replaced. Circumstances were such that I had to rely on my own (intermediate) knowledge of cars and some quick reading to assess it, so I'm back in the world of "I hope this used car wasn't beaten to death before I got it" - but I feel pretty good about it. :-)

Congrats and welcome to the special group of Barents Blue manual transmission P2s...

Can I offer you our Friends and Family plan?

:D
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
oldandbroke

Post by oldandbroke »

Georgeandkira wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:34 am PRYING QUESTIONS DEPT.:
Look, I came in here for an argument! (probably way too vague and stretched of a reference....) :-)

1) Roughly where in PA are you?

Lehigh Valley

2) How much did you pay? Sounds personal but it's not. "Fair" prices land in a broad range. The range is established by age, mileage, maintenance level, appearance and urgency on everyone's part. Immediately needed maintenance is a BIG wildcard.

Well, the "urgency" bit played a big part. I paid $1500 which, not coincidentally I'm sure, is almost to the dollar what the Kelly Blue Book website shows for "Private Party Sale" value of the car if I plug in the correct condition and options etc. The seller was not willing to move on the price, and having seen what else I could get for $1500 in a short time frame, I couldn't blame him. But it's OK. The insurance company for the guy who hit my other car gave me a check that almost exactly covered that price plus what I spent getting it registered + inspection, etc. 174K miles if I didn't already mention that.

In dramatic contrast to most of the other cars I looked at in this price range (and I was not limiting myself to cars that were expensive when new), every single bulb and electrical anything works, cruise control works, the A/C works, and although it was clearly cleaned up for sale, I couldn't find any of the telltale signs that any part of the engine or undercarriage had been previously caked with leaked oil or grease, there are zero issues with the body, and there is no rust that I can find anywhere. The leather is worn in, but not worn, with no rips or rough patches to be found. There are barely even any deep creases. Absolutely NO immediately needed maintenance as far as I can tell. And that's good - we're in a bit of a complicated situation financially right now, and although I expect the situation to resolve within about 3 months, we're barely in the black for the moment.

3) Besides knowing the timing belt was done did you get any service records?

Incomplete service records, certainly less than what many on this forum would consider to be adequate documentation. Again, urgency. A few things noted in the dealer provided service log (though not only early in the life of the car), a sticker showing an oil change in March of this year with mileage on the windshield, and that's about it. The mechanic who did the timing belt service wrote that it was done + the mileage and date inside the engine compartment in paint marker. While I'm prepared to be told this doesn't constitute proof, the paint marker didn't look new, it's not the first time I've seen major critical repairs noted that way, and given that the car overall feels well taken care of I was OK to accept that.

4) Private sale or dealer? I swore on my soul that I'd never buy from a dealership a second time (buying a new 1995 Subaru being the first time) alas, after 2 years of searching, I found an acceptable example....at a dealer. Oh the shame!

Private sale. He gave me what I'm fairly sure was a BS story that the car belonged to his brother who moved to Canada. I'm too lazy to type up all the reasons that made no sense to me, but suffice to say I'm quite sure it wasn't true. I think he's one of these guys who buys and sells on the side, in just low enough volume to avoid having to get a dealer license.
Georgeandkira wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:34 am BUSYBODY SUGGESTIONS DEPT.:
Ah, 12A next door...

I'm going to guess that shocks/struts and brakes will come 'round as your first jobs on that car.

Well, I dunno. I guess I don't know what a V70 with brand new suspension components feels like, but it passed the "bounce" test I learned as a kid with no problems, and the words "loose, sloppy, bouncy, mushy, rattly" are all words that do not apply to the ride quality of this car. There's no noise from the suspension, it corners flatter than I expected it to, no bouncy bouncy over bumps, feels generally very planted in all circumstances I've been in with it so far. (And I've been driving it every excuse I've had during the weekend, to be sure I'm comfortable taking the 30 min drive to work on Monday.)

The brakes - well they passed inspection and they stop really well, so probably not - but we'll see!

Feel the "woosh" of your heater/AC output. If it's weak your cabin air filter may be clogged or even original to the car.

Seems strong to me, but checking that out is on my list anyhow, so thanks for the reminder!

There is a trio of hoses on the intake manifold right of center as you look at it from the front of the car, inboard from the ETM (ergo, the left side of the intake manifold) near the intake air's big hose.
One reaches forward to a small valve under the header panel. Another larger one is part of the EVAP system and the third is small and provides vacuum to the airbox thermostat mentioned above. It is on a 90º rubber elbow which breaks. The elbow itself conceals the split well so check it. There are 2 more of these rubber elbows on the air cleaner box lid.

This is something I would never have known or thought to check, thanks a bunch.

I sold my 2002 auto with 198,600 miles to the first guy who test drove it for $2,500. Good luck with yours.

I don't know enough to say whether I got a better deal than that guy or not. I wanted a manual, and that was more than I could spend, so probably would never have looked at your car, but here are some criticisms of the one I bought (none of which bother me):
  • The interior is *very* clean for the most part, but there are no floor mats, and the front carpeting is a bit stained in places.
  • The wheels are steel wheels which I don't believe volvo ever offered in this year/model combination, with no-name wheel covers. (OK, this one bothers me just a little bit.)
  • The tires have OK tread, but are no-name pieces of crap.
  • The paint looks amazing for its age from 15 feet away, but it looks its age (though still very good) close up. There are some chips and scratches, some swirl marks where someone (prob the seller) was overzealous with a rotary buffer, and etc.
  • Incomplete service records as noted.
  • Unknown provenance, since I'm quite certain the seller's story about his brother was complete bullshit.
So yeah, I feel very happy with the purchase (unless some hidden and expensie issue raises its head in the near future) but can't say how my "deal" compared to the one you gave the guy who bought yours.

And thanks a lot for all the questions (even the prying ones) - who doesn't like to blab about the car they just bought?
abscate wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:08 am
Congrats and welcome to the special group of Barents Blue manual transmission P2s...

Can I offer you our Friends and Family plan?

:D
I was trying to figure out what color it was. I swear it looks green in some light, grey in others - but yeah, mostly blue. :-) Are the manuals really that rare? I'm super happy to have found one, did not want an auto, but I didn't realize I'd gotten lucky to do so.
oragex

Post by oragex »

Yes manuals are rare here in North America' while in Europe you will perhaps find more manuals than automatics. It is harder to sell a nanual in the US BUT there are people who actually want specifically a manual, especially on forums. A manual one advertised on a forum should sell quite fast actually.

Loved the story with 'brothers' car. You are 100% corect, mine was not a brother but a 'friend' who had left the country and of course the seller had another car for sale. As for the timing belt, it is a good idea to keep a very close eye on the water pump and pulleys around. Many people had a small place replacing it with the cheapest parts, and there are plenty of people with failed water pumps 1-2 years later snaping the belt. Just a small check now and then for a leaking pump or a shaking tensioner would be good insurance.