IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Who do you recommend for remanufactured or aftermarket CV axles?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
United States of America
vtl

Re: Who do you recommend for remanufactured or aftermarket CV axles?

Post by vtl » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:22 pm

Got it from Tasca being in rush two days before a long Thanksgiving trip.
05 XC70 260k, 16 XC60 40k, 19 Tundra 1k

chrism
Year and Model: S80 / 2005
Has thanked: 0
chrism

Post by chrism » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:44 pm

On a couple of our cars I used rebuilt OE axles from Axles Unlimited, but the last time I tried to order from them they told me they weren't able to procure the required parts to rebuild the Volvo axles I needed.

I then contacted these people in Utah:
http://cvaxleexpress.com/ordering.html

He said he didn't have the proper cores in stock but I could send him mine to rebuild. So far I haven't been able to do without the car that long.

GBS
Year and Model: XC70 2003, V70 2002
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
GBS

Post by GBS » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:08 am

I've only had two different boots tear on my two cars. The first time I decided to replace with Cardone since they're cheap and I didn't know how much time I'd have to invest in rebuilding joints. The Cardone had bad vibration so I cleaned, repacked and put new boots on the original, a way better solution both $ and performance. Sounds like other things can go wrong with these axles but if its just a boot replacement I'd rebuild over getting a remanufactured.

keaunym
Year and Model: 2009 Volvo S60 2.5T
United States of America
keaunym

Post by keaunym » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:16 am

I picked up right and left OE axles from a junk yard two days ago. Although I only needed the right side, it was better deal to buy the pair and the left side has zero play. The right has a tiny amount of play but a lot better than my current one. I'm considering refreshing the grease and replacing the boots but it is not clear to me how that can be done. Do the balls and shaft come out of the joint socket when the boot is removed? In essence, is the boot the only thing holding it together? If that's the case, then this should be an easy job..

Also, the used one didn't come with a carrier bearing. Is that something I should replace with a new one while I'm doing the job?

GBS
Year and Model: XC70 2003, V70 2002
United States of America
GBS

Post by GBS » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:46 am

I think that's a good idea, its not expensive and though messy it goes pretty quick. I got the kits from IPD to rebuild and went with cheap boots as my car has 200k+, I can do it again if I have to. In essence the thing is held together by the boot and I've heard some have had the inner side (pushes in and out) pop out inside the boot if axle isn't rested well. the CV part will not come apart unless you make it, getting the balls from the case was like a puzzle and there's a lot of videos on it... it will come apart and hopefully back together, I had to work at it with the first rebuild but second was much faster.

I didn't replace my carrier bearing as it seemed to spin freely and I rarely replace parts that aren't showing symptoms of failure.