Amazon Black Friday deals
IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Sticky Key and Hissing Sounds?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

BeachWagon
Year and Model: 2002 V70

Sticky Key and Hissing Sounds?

Post by BeachWagon »

Hello all, this is my first post on the site. Let me start off by saying that I have already taken care of a few funny problems with advice posted on this site (wonky AC compressors are NO MATCH for some zip ties)

The vehicle in question is a 2002 Volvo V70, non-turbo, 238k

So we still have a couple issues that need addressing. First and foremost, the key will sometimes get stuck in the ignition. I understand this is common on older models but after a bit of cruising around, I could not find anything that pertains to this year or model. In my defense, I am new to this Swedish world(GM guy). Therefore, I am not familiar with this key-locking system and whether the newer ones vs older ones work a different way. What I do know is this:

Sometimes the key will release if the steering column and shifter are smacked around a bit. Other times I simply have to wait, sometimes a few minutes. After some time, a very gentle clicking sound can be heard and the key is easily removed.

To be blunt honest, I hate this system and would simply like to remove/disable it. Sure, it's a "safety" system and all but I can literally yank the key out of my Buick and toss it in the back seat while driving down the highway. AS it turns out, I have not yet died in a fiery car crash! So if there is a way to fix my sticky key, cool. If there is a way to disable the key locking mechanism without pissing the car off, that would be way better.

The other issue is a very recent development. I have noticed a gentle "hissing" sound coming from inside the dash, towards the left of the driver. The sound is rather electronic in nature...almost sounds like sharp radio static, except at a much higher pitch. It starts randomly and will always stop if I press the brake pedal. AS soon as the brake pedal is released, the sound starts back up. It's worth noting that lately, the small text display to the left side of the instrument cluster has started glitching out. The characters will dance, distort and sometimes vanish to a blank yellow screen. Is there a chance that these two are related?
BeachWagon

Re: Sticky Key and Hissing Sounds??

Post by BeachWagon »

Bump. Anyone?
jonesg
Year and Model: 2004 V70

Re: Sticky Key and Hissing Sounds?

Post by jonesg »

Have you read the codes yet.
Although I think these are common problems I'm not familiar enough with these newer volvos to know, my previous was a 1990 740.
I think google would provide answers.
stinger04038
Year and Model: 2000 S70

Post by stinger04038 »

Volvos are known for the sticky key problem. Try putting some (I believe it's lithium grease) on your key and work the key. Also, if you mess around a bit you'll find that the position of the steering wheel makes a difference with getting the key out as they get high mileage, all normal for a Volvo. Once you do this it will be no big deal. Keep in mind it's not a Gm product and I wouldn't go smashing anything around, especially the shifter knob.

Secondly, check the connection on your brake pedal because the cruise control is tied into that system. Does the cruise work? There is also a vacuum line on the brake pedal and it is quite common for it to crack over time. If that's the case you usually have enough room to cut the crap piece of vacuum line out and reattach. This is what I'd try first, owned over 25 different Volvos.
BeachWagon

Post by BeachWagon »

Cruise control works perfectly. I will try to lubricate the assembly and post back. Thank you for the response. I wouldn't say that I'm necessarily smashing the hell out of anything. Just a few bumps and fumbling with the button.

As for the hissing sound, it DOES seem to be related to the small message screen to the right of the driver, on the cluster. It does glitch out from time to time. I'd like to know if anyone here repairs these screens/clusters and can point me in the right direction for a component to replace?
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

Cruise on your 2002 is all electronic so that's not your hiss. You might be hearing a small leak on your brake booster which is right near your dash. The dash modules are highly integrated with the rest of car and aren't trivial to service
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
BeachWagon

Post by BeachWagon »

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Just wanted to update you all on this.

The artifacting on the digital text display seems to be triggered by colder temperatures. We've had some weather fluctuation this year and it always acts up when it's colder. Now that the weather is nice and toasty, the display has had no more problems whatsoever. Funny right? Is there an electrolytic capacitor anywhere on the dash? I'd like to note that the hissing sound seems to only appear when the display is malfunctioning. I'm sure eventually when the weather is colder again, the malfunction will bother me enough to crack it open and investigate.

The car is now just past 250k and doing great. It happily carried us as well as all of our camping gear, on a week long, 1200 mile trek through the mountainous region of Virginia. I have to say its handling capability on those winding mountain roads is quite impressive. I only wish it was a turbo model :lol:

We found an identical V70 in the local treasure yard this week and snagged some rear seat cargo nets, as well as roof racks. Cheap upgrades for the win :mrgreen:
Botbasher
Year and Model: 98 "R" & 03 T5 V70

Post by Botbasher »

The elephant in the room.... AC!

You could be hearing the expansion valve partially opening and closing. On brake means RPM drops, AC system pressure drops... off brake means acceleration, rising PSI. As systems are effected by external temps and overall age, little noises like whistles and hisses can and do occur. Could also be low refrigerant levels making new noises. Not enough to not work, but sometimes a 10-15 PSI difference can make radically different noises!

When you hear the noise the next time, turn the AC off and see if it goes away. In auto, AC can be on even if it's not "needed". Far more common source of unknown "noise" in the cabin than almost any other source! (Former high end car stereo installer talking here)

K "what noise" S
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

We have met the enemy and he is us.-Pogo

If speed kills, do brakes give life??