IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Suddenly there is extremely loud WIPER NOISE

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5

Suddenly there is extremely loud WIPER NOISE

Post by MadeInJapan »

The craziest thing happened. My wife complained that her wipers were making a groaning sound so got her keys and went out to the car and started the wipers. Sure enough, groaning like it was sick- like a washer makes during the wash cycle with a lopsided load...terrible!
I came inside and did a search for the problem on google. The search took me to a Swedespeed thread.

The funny thing is, this was a thread that I started in 2003! This is the same car- our 2004 V70 that we bought in August 2003!! I had forgotten that I had the same problem 13 years ago, and finally had the dealer replace the wiper motor under warranty.

So, back then I didn't know much about DIY. I wasn't a member here- I had not discovered MVS yet- or maybe it didn't even exist yet. I joined here almost 2 years after that.

So, tonight I took the cowl off and to take a look.
The obvious issue is that one of the linkage arms has a rubber bushing between the two moving parts that is shot.
I lubed everything up with a heavy grease and sealed things back up for now.

When I have time, I'm gonna have to drill the rivet holding the linkage together out, replace the rubber bushing with something comprable and put things back together with a bolt, washers and probably lock tight. I could get the linkages from a junk yard but most likely the same bushing is close to being shot. I'm sure a new piece would cost a mint!

Just thought I would share- things come full circle sometimes!!
I figure that the dealer never lubed anything when he replaced the motor so eventually, one of the main linkage bushings bit the dust.
That might have been wrong with it the firt time, who knows.

This time, I know what to do!!
Thanks to MVS who has given me confidence in working on our Volvo's!

-MIJ
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Re: Suddenly there is extremely loud WIPER NOISE

Post by oragex »

Nice to share. I'M afraid of these issues because it's never cheap. If the bushing easy to access once the cowl is out? Wiper arms can stay in place? I'd rather use silicone lubricant on a new bushing, as anything with petroleum would damage the rubber
beigg
Year and Model: 850 97

Post by beigg »

MadeInJapan wrote:I could get the linkages from a junk yard but most likely the same bushing is close to being shot. I'm sure a new piece would cost a mint!

-MIJ
Dorman# 602352 / Volvo#9169424
Interchanges 98-04 C/S/V 70
Roughly $93
ugh smh 850 Turbo fridge
MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5

Post by MadeInJapan »

Yes, I though of that, but I used grease so it's probably petroleum. Yes- all easy to access under the cowl. No need to take anything out. I think I can drill out the rivet in the arm that has the bushing too and separate the arm pieces. When I do replace that bushing I'll use silicone lube in there. I think this is a much cheaper and easier alternative than even a junk yard one where I'd have to take the possibly "going bad" linkage out of the wreck, do it again in my car and then install everything.
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo