IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Separating CV axle joints to replace boot (passenger side FWD S60)

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

keaunym
Year and Model: 2009 Volvo S60 2.5T

Separating CV axle joints to replace boot (passenger side FWD S60)

Post by keaunym »

I've ordered replacement OEM boot kits that should arrive this weekend and I just started to disassemble the axle to remove existing grease and begin the cleaning process. I started with the inner joint thinking this would be the easy side to start, I encountered small lips that prevent the 3 balls (more like 3 donut-shaped wheels) from sliding out all the way. It would seem either these lips need to be ground down or there is some other trick to removing. Any advice? How much worse is the outer joint, or should do this one instead? Or is disassembling both sides just as easy? I figure I really only need to disassemble one side to clean and replace both boots, although the side that gets disassembled will of course get cleaned a lot better.

Thanks in advance!
keaunym
Year and Model: 2009 Volvo S60 2.5T

Re: Separating CV axle joints to replace boot (passenger side FWD S60)

Post by keaunym »

Bump.

Unlike videos I've seen, the inner joint doesn't just fall or slide out. On the axle I have there are lips that prevent the bearing wheels from simply sliding out all the way. It would seem these lips need to be ground down with a file or grinder unless there is some other way to get this assembly out...

This is what I mean:

(the red arrows show the position of the lips that prevent the wheels from sliding out all the way.

For the outer joint, there is no clip to spread unlike what I've seen demonstrated elsewhere and even for a prior model year Volvo axle..

My axle:

(symmetrical all around; no cutout for or presence of a clip anywhere)

How it is shown elsewhere and in a tutorial on Youtube for an earlier model Volvo:

How do I get this damn thing apart?

I'm invested $100 in the axle and $80 in OEM boots as I did not want to go aftermarket and I could not find reman OEM.

Thanks in advance.
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Post by oragex »

Strange for the inner joint, mine would just slide out... are those 3 wheels round? Maybe you can turn them in some position where they slide past that edge.

For the outer, try again Youtube but not for Volvos, I remember there were videos especially for placing the steel ball back inside

precopster
Year and Model: Lots

Post by precopster »

This is what I use for outer CV removal on later models....crude but effective :D However I would only use this if I were going to replace the entire CV as Thor's hammer can cause damage :) Trust me on later models the outer CV clip is NOT accessible.

The inner CV has circlip which is accessible so once you pull that 3 wheeled spider joint out of the cage (use a quick jerk and it will come out) you can slide the outer CV boot off past the removed spider joint.
Attachments
20161219_094628.jpg
Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.