IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2006 XC70 All kinds of trouble codes Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

malcolmtent
Year and Model: XC70 2004
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
malcolmtent

2006 XC70 All kinds of trouble codes

Post by malcolmtent » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:18 pm

2006 XC70

My 2006 XC70 has been sitting in my driveway for a year because I've been a little short of funds to get issues dealt with. But it's time to make something happen. Fired her up the other day after at least 6 months of not starting her, and she fired right up. Engine sounded gorgeous.

Last time I drove her, I got a trouble code that translated to Cam Position Sensor, so I replaced that, reset the codes - and the code came back within minutes. This was (I believe) going to cause it to fail New York State inspection and I wasn't able to deal with the issue at that time, so the car got parked.

Fired her up last week, and no more Cam Position Sensor code, but a whole bunch of others ones. The battery is show, and without jumping the car, I can't recall exactly what the new codes are, but there was one saying that my brake system had failed. But it seemed that the brakes were just fine. I only drove a few yards, but there didn't appear to be anything wrong with the brakes at all.

At the time of the Cam Position Sensor trouble code issue, I was getting a dead battery all the time. Oh, and a trouble light saying that my charging system wasn't working. But the charging system WAS working -- I drove a few hundred miles with this light on without problems. 3 different people checked the voltage at my battery while running, and the correct voltage was present. I did, however, change the voltage regulator on the alternator, to no effect.

Given a whole bunch of new trouble codes, I'm suspect a computer (ECU?) problem. Or perhaps mice have eaten through some wires?

If it's an ECU, can this be replaced without going to Volvo? If so, by whom? And at what approximate cost?

Any other thoughts on how I should proceed?

Thanks, guys and gals.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: All kinds of trouble codes  Topic is solved

Post by abscate » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:20 pm

I'm in ALB all December so let's connect one weekend and get you sorted out

See my signature below. :lol:

You need to sort out your battery, cables , and charging system before doing anything with the ECU. If voltage gets low these cars freak out. Clear all those codes and see what comes back.

Report codes in format Pxxxx and skip the "descriptions " from code readers...they are often wrong

Brakes can appear to work fine but ABS and traction functions will fault if components or wiring faults.

Pm me
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

JRL
Year and Model: Several
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
JRL

Re: 2006 XC70 All kinds of trouble codes

Post by JRL » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:40 pm

First install a new battery and check the entire charging system
As Abacate said, if you have a low battery all sorts of codes pop up
2000 V70R Black, 144,000 miles Wife's R.
2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

Contact info for purchases: [email protected]