IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
MVS-Amazon link helps MVS!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Long cranking after cleaning throttle body and MAF

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Post Reply
enriquepr21
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:58 pm
Year and Model: 2003 S60
Location: Guatemala

Long cranking after cleaning throttle body and MAF

Post by enriquepr21 »

Hi, asking for your wisdom again :)

in hopes of fixing my random stalling issue I cleaned throttle body and MAF sensor and it seems to have made an improvement as the car hasn't stalled yet. However, the car is now taking longer to crank when cold. I also cleaned the connector for the fuel pressure regulator but didn't remove the actual sensor. Where should I begin testing this issue?

The car is a 2003 S60 non turbo, I'll appreciate any help I can get
User avatar
abscate
MVS Moderator
Posts: 23681
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Location: NYC, ALBANY NY
Has thanked: 439 times
Been thanked: 1330 times

Re: Long cranking after cleaning throttle body and MAF

Post by abscate »

I would test the coolant sensor resistance against spec...the chart for values is here on this forum

Did you change spark plugs after the last thread too? I don't remember. A non turbo uses the three prong type but use either Volvo or Bosch only
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
enriquepr21
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:58 pm
Year and Model: 2003 S60
Location: Guatemala

Re: Long cranking after cleaning throttle body and MAF

Post by enriquepr21 »

abscate wrote:I would test the coolant sensor resistance against spec...the chart for values is here on this forum

Did you change spark plugs after the last thread too? I don't remember. A non turbo uses the three prong type but use either Volvo or Bosch only

Thanks I'll check the coolant sensor resistance. I haven't changed spark plugs but I'll take a look to verify brand and condition
User avatar
oragex
Posts: 5204
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 6:20 am
Year and Model: S60 2003
Location: Canada
Has thanked: 102 times
Been thanked: 321 times
Contact:

Re: Long cranking after cleaning throttle body and MAF

Post by oragex »

If I remember well, it's better to have the battery disconnected when disconnecting sensors around the engine including the tb. It seems the computer looses the calibration from these sensors when they are disconnected while still powered. I would try disconnecting the red cable at the battery - usually I do so overnight but it might take less time, when the computer resets properly you'll see the climate control on Auto setting and the cabin fan will turn at max speed with no lights on the knob.

I also read about a few people who damaged the climate unit (a small thermistor inside may blow rendering the unit inoperative) while disconnecting or reconnecting the battery. It's not a common practice, but I like to have the ignition key in position II (headlights on) every time I plug/unplug the battery.
JRL
Posts: 9351
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:07 pm
Year and Model: Several
Location: 19333
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Long cranking after cleaning throttle body and MAF

Post by JRL »

Also these MAFs really should not be cleaned, rather they should be replaced
2000 V70R Black, 144,000 miles Wife's R.
2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

Contact info for purchases: [email protected]
enriquepr21
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:58 pm
Year and Model: 2003 S60
Location: Guatemala

Re: Long cranking after cleaning throttle body and MAF

Post by enriquepr21 »

oragex wrote:If I remember well, it's better to have the battery disconnected when disconnecting sensors around the engine including the tb. It seems the computer looses the calibration from these sensors when they are disconnected while still powered. I would try disconnecting the red cable at the battery - usually I do so overnight but it might take less time, when the computer resets properly you'll see the climate control on Auto setting and the cabin fan will turn at max speed with no lights on the knob.

I also read about a few people who damaged the climate unit (a small thermistor inside may blow rendering the unit inoperative) while disconnecting or reconnecting the battery. It's not a common practice, but I like to have the ignition key in position II (headlights on) every time I plug/unplug the battery.

Thanks so i reset the car and the climate control was on auto setting with no lights on the knob indeed. Took a little bit less to crank so I'll test a couple days and report back
enriquepr21
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:58 pm
Year and Model: 2003 S60
Location: Guatemala

Re: Long cranking after cleaning throttle body and MAF

Post by enriquepr21 »

Ok so even after resetting the car the long cranking is still there. This only happens when the engine is cold otherwise it starts right up. I forgot to mention although i don't think it's related but i removed some fuses in the driver panel which according to the manual shouldn't be there.. don't know if this could have done anything
User avatar
abscate
MVS Moderator
Posts: 23681
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Location: NYC, ALBANY NY
Has thanked: 439 times
Been thanked: 1330 times

Re: Long cranking after cleaning throttle body and MAF

Post by abscate »

I would put them back. Is your manual correct for your country
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
enriquepr21
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:58 pm
Year and Model: 2003 S60
Location: Guatemala

Re: Long cranking after cleaning throttle body and MAF

Post by enriquepr21 »

abscate wrote:I would put them back. Is your manual correct for your country
Not sure really.. I'll put them back and check again

Thanks
Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post