IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Fuse? Parking brake stuck on, Windows not working and no interior lights!

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

frazzledV70
Year and Model: 2007 V70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain
frazzledV70

Fuse? Parking brake stuck on, Windows not working and no interior lights!

Post by frazzledV70 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:05 am

Hi,

After a really awful night last night I would appreciate your advice. I broke down last night, the little piston that sits behind the clutch pedal has broken, and the car was not drivable. After several hours at the side of the motorway in sub zero temperatures a recovery vehicle arrived to take me home.

At this point I am convinced there was nothing wrong apart from the pedal. The recovery driver attempted to "bump" the car into a position that he could get it on his truck, and he told me that the battery must have gone flat from the bumping. I took it at face value.

When we got home the battery was of course still "flat" he took it off he truck, and left us with the front window down, we were going to jump start it from our other car, put the window up, and go to bed (2am!!!)

However, although the car will start fine, the windows aren't working, the parking brake is stuck on, and the interior lights are not working. Because of the parking brake I can't even get towed to a garage for repair.

Is there a fuse likely responsible that I can change? Please help, the last few hours have been just dreadful!

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: Fuse? Parking brake stuck on, Windows not working and no interior lights!

Post by oragex » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:51 am

Maybe let the car idle longer, so as to charge the battery a little more. Inspect all fuses from the side with a little lamp, the box inside the engine area and the box on the dash panel side. If all checks fine, with the battery properly charged, try disconnecting it for a few hours until the computer resets (the climate control speed know will show no lights)

As for the parking brakes, does the handle lower but the wheels still won't move? Maybe the shoes got stuck or one cable snapped.

As for the clutch pedal, usually the news aren't that good. The manual gearbox is prone to fail at the slave cylinder (pedal falls to the floor, brake fluid level drops in the reservoir - parking brake light might be on). Unfortunately a costly repair. You can still drive the car by pulling up the clutch pedal every time with the tip of the shoes. You have http://volvoforums.org.uk/ with plenty of manual gearbox owners, they can give some advice on repair costs

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: Fuse? Parking brake stuck on, Windows not working and no interior lights!

Post by abscate » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:49 am

I think the little piston near the pedal referred to here is the clutch pedal switch. I think its the same on the 2007 as my 2005/1999 - a resistance switch measuring clutch pedal position. The car won't start if it falls off as it is also the safety switch for cranking - the symptom there is a no-crank.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary