IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Drivers Window Won't Move When the Engine is Running

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

chrism
Year and Model: S80 / 2005
Has thanked: 0
chrism

Drivers Window Won't Move When the Engine is Running

Post by chrism » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:45 pm

2003 V70, 2.4NA, 225,000 miles:

I've got a weird issue with my drivers window freezing in any position it was last moved to, but only when the engine is running. If the key is in position I ACC or position II IGN, I can open and close the window all day long (as long as the engine isn't running when the key is in position II). I can even move the window when the key is turned OFF, as it should - you know how you can roll the window up for some period of time after shutting the key off. The problem also affects the mirror control and door locking. But only the drivers door window and lock are affected - the other three doors' windows and locks will move, even when in failure mode, regardless of whether they're being controlled from the drivers or passengers door .

This began about a month ago as a very intermittent thing, but now I can count on it not working. At best, I might get about three opportunities to move the window after the engine is started, then it will freeze. If the engine is running and the window is frozen, I can hold down on the switch with one hand and then turn the key back toward position I just enough to interrupt the ignition for a split second and then back to position II, sometimes quick enough to keep the engine running. That quick interruption in ignition allows the window to start moving. It never freezes in mid stroke as long as I keep holding the switch. Once I release the switch, regardless of window position, it will most likely be frozen in that position the next time I try to move it.

So far I've taken the DDM apart and lightly cleaned the contacts. I've disconnected, spray cleaned, and reconnected the following disconnects - 1 at window motor, two at the DDM, 1 at the door jamb. I left the tweeter wire alone. No change it behavior after all the cleaning. I'm kinda spooked by all this as I fear the problem may be ship side, given that an interruption in ignition wakes everything back up.

Also, would a VIDA/DICE setup be much help in these situations? I've resisted getting into all that - well so far have never really needed to. I guess if we're going to keep (affordably) driving these things I'm going to have to get into that stuff. Two P2's in the household.

Any suggestions as to the most logical step forward with this problem are greatly appreciated.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: Drivers Window Won't Move When the Engine is Running

Post by abscate » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:04 pm

Yikes Chris. That's a weird one.

Does the lock/unlock 5x cycle reset the window modules on a P2? Maybe worth a try?
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

JRL
Year and Model: Several
United States of America
JRL

Post by JRL » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:40 pm

Yeah, that IS weird. Have fun diagnosing this one!
2000 V70R Black, 144,000 miles Wife's R.
2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

Contact info for purchases: [email protected]

beigg
Year and Model: 850 97
Been thanked: 0
Uruguay
beigg

Post by beigg » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:12 pm

If you disconnect the door jam plug and provide an aux circuit to the window switch (spare wire and an alternate power source) , will it engage the window regulator?
ugh smh 850 Turbo fridge

chrism
chrism

Post by chrism » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:16 pm

I'm leaning toward just taking it to the local Volvo indy and let him scan the car and see if it exposes anything. Another thing is that I don't think the car has ever had any sort of software update/reload.

Does anyone know if there is any tried-and-true documented procedure for building a VIDA DICE system - minimum ram needed, what versions of Windows will work, who to purchase the system from, how to load and activate the system, etc?

Thanks.

chrism
chrism

Post by chrism » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:54 pm

beigg wrote:If you disconnect the door jam plug and provide an aux circuit to the window switch (spare wire and an alternate power source) , will it engage the window regulator?
beigg, are you saying provide just 12v +/- to the two appropriate contacts at the doorjamb disconnect and don't connect any of the other pins to anything?

Also, abscate, how is the lock/unlock 5x cycle reset performed?

beigg
Year and Model: 850 97
Been thanked: 0
Uruguay
beigg

Post by beigg » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:31 pm

Yes on the door side.
ugh smh 850 Turbo fridge

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:57 pm

Disconnect the battery and turn ignition to PosII. Touch the disconnected lead to the other battery terminal. This will zero out any dormant voltage in the system. Reconnect the battery with ign in PosII and test with engine running. Electronic glitches require a full reset and this will probably do it.

If this doesn't work you will probably need a DDM reload at the dealer or if you have Dice/Vida you can ask Doublebug to do the same
Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:47 am

chrism wrote:
beigg wrote:If you disconnect the door jam plug and provide an aux circuit to the window switch (spare wire and an alternate power source) , will it engage the window regulator?
beigg, are you saying provide just 12v +/- to the two appropriate contacts at the doorjamb disconnect and don't connect any of the other pins to anything?

Also, abscate, how is the lock/unlock 5x cycle reset performed?
With key in driver door, just lock the car and unlock the car 5x, pausing a second or two on each step. See if that helps. This might be a P80 thing only, but free to try.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

chrism
chrism

Resolved - Drivers Window Won't Move

Post by chrism » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:11 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions in helping to resolve this issue.

With fingers crossed, it appears this issue is resolved. I was never able to detect any kind of intermittent power interruption between the car and the door. So I noted the part number on the little white sticker on the bottom of the DDM. Actually there were three numbers - the part number and two other numbers that must have been some sort of codes. Then I set off for the pick-n-pull yard in search of a match. The closest match I could find was in a 2003 S60 (I have a 2003 V70.) The part number and the second number were a match, but the third number was different. I don't know what the third represents. Heck, it could have been a date code or anything. I looked at several 2001 thru 2004 S60's and V70's. The ONLY matching P/N I could find was in the 2003 S60. I never did find a 2003 V70 in any of the three yards I visited. $2 to get into the yard and $15 for the DDM. Took it home, installed it, and bingo - everything worked properly and has been doing so for two days now.

So I guess the lesson here is, at least with a 2003, it's not absolutely imperative that a reprogramming process has to follow a DDM replacement in order to make it work. Like replacing a DIM, with the correct part number and a bit of luck, the components can be replaced via plug-n-play.