IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Stuck axle/transmission issues

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Fastlane4
Year and Model: 02 Volvo v70xc
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Fastlane4

Stuck axle/transmission issues

Post by Fastlane4 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi, I'm looking for some help on my friends 02 Volvo v70xc we've been working on. We had a severely stuck cv axle on the drivers side. From all my searching it seems to be a common issue with these cars. After searching forever I took some "apparent" bad advice from another thread. I removed the passenger axle and attempted to force it out from that side. After 2 taps on my punch I got transmission fluid leaking out the transfer case.
I've since been able to get the broken axle stub out of the drivers side using a puller with a 1/2" bolt welded to the stub.
Now I'm trying to address the leak. I dropped the transfer case from the transmission but I'm still unable to get to that seal. It seems it would be in the transmission between where the 2 axles meet. Is this a serviceable part without dropping the transmission and opening the case? This is my first time working on a Volvo. I'm a pretty experienced DIY mechanic otherwise.
Obviously in hindsight I wish I wouldn't have attempted this method but now I just need to get it fixed. Any help is appreciated.
It's an automatic transmission btw.