IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Propeller shaft assistance (flange detachment, CV boots)

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

cantabrian
Year and Model: 2004 Volvo xc70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
cantabrian

Propeller shaft assistance (flange detachment, CV boots)

Post by cantabrian » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi, all,

I've been trying for two weeks to get the propeller shaft to detach from the rear flange, so that I could get the flange off and get access to the haldex pump. But I can't get the thing to budge. It's rusted on there pretty good. So, I have a question about that, and a question about a problem I might have stupidly created for myself.

1. On detaching it: my question is about a final method to get it off. I read over on Volvo forums that someone detached theirs by taking the bolts out and then driving down the driveway. I don't see why this would necessarily work, as it seems like it would just spin the flange. But is there any harm in trying? I figure if it detached, the worst thing that would happen is that the driveshaft would just spin in the flange, right?

2. The problem I might have created: after my first hours-long bout with this thing, I pulled on the visible part of the cv boot (the part that the bolts go through), hoping it would help loosen the whole thing. Amateur move, I know. Anyway, that rear part popped off and moved toward me, before springing back in place. (I guess the rubber pulled it back in place?) Then, even more stupidly, when I gave up for the day, I left two bolts out (because they were rusty and the hex hole was stripped, and I didn't have replacements on hand). I drove it for a couple days. Last night, when I went back to work on it more, I found that grease had come out of the holes and splattered on the car. So, my question: is the grease leakage to be expected cause I left bolts out, and the grease would come out of the bolt holes? Or would that be a sign that I tore the CV boot? I ask only because if I tore it, I might give up on this project altogether. Expensive to replace the boot, it seems.

All guidance appreciated on #1 and #2.

Thanks!

vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
United States of America
vtl

Re: Propeller shaft assistance (flange detachment, CV boots)

Post by vtl » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:44 am

It is likely a thickened Haldex oil that leaked out through the damaged seal. I had the same: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthrea ... post182195

I also pulled external sleeve with a jaw puller pretty hard until I realized what I'm pulling, it survived.

Did you run bolts through the back of the flange (M8x20 IIRC)? You may want to run 2 or 3 bolts until they feel stuck and leave under tension, tapping the flange with a mallet from time to time and tightening the bolts further. It'll give up eventually.
05 XC70 260k, 16 XC60 40k, 19 Tundra 1k

cantabrian
Year and Model: 2004 Volvo xc70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
cantabrian

Post by cantabrian » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:40 am

Thanks for this reply, vtl. It would make sense that it's thickened Haldex oil. It seemed thinner than grease. And it had the greenish tinge that the haldex oil I pumped out of the drive had, when I drained and filled a couple months ago. But I'm confused: you say that it's probably leaking out of a damaged seal, but you also say that you pulled the same thing I did, but it survived. Which seal are you saying is maybe damaged (couldn't tell from your link)? I did exactly what you did: pulled it with vice grips, popped it off, it popped back, and I immediately regretted doing that. Is the problem just that I separated these things, and it'll be fine now that it's back together?

I did try the bolt thing. But I've been unsuccessful. I got M8 bolts (and short enough), found one of the holes that didn't run all the way through, and tried to put the bolt in. I got it in maybe 5mm. But it just wouldn't go further. I don't know if I just need to spray PB blaster in there everyday for the next week to get the threads unrusted or something? I really torqued those bolts (tried one with a hex end, and one with a bolt end)--well, as much as I could considering I had to use hand tools since no room for a socket/impact driver. Any advice on getting the bolt to go? Or on how to get access to turn them? I took the DEM off to make it easier.

vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
United States of America
vtl

Post by vtl » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:53 am

Flange is composed of two sleeves, internal and external, with rubber compound in between. When you pull external sleeve, you tear off that rubber. In my case the rubber was not damaged, at least too bad. Not sure how hard did you pull before realizing what are you doing.

Behind the flange there's seal on the axle. It may leak. Definitely leaked in my car, yours is leaking too, as it sounds. Image

Get a ratcheting wrench, combine with a long pipe, spray with PB Blaster, and you'll make it. Be sure to use high quality bolts. The key is to maintain a constant pressure, it will give up eventually.
05 XC70 260k, 16 XC60 40k, 19 Tundra 1k