IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Clunk and Creak from Front End

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

estrekal
Year and Model: 2004 S60 AWD
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
estrekal

Clunk and Creak from Front End

Post by estrekal » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:16 am

Hello all,
I'm new to the S60 forum, but have been driving a Volvo (2000 V70 non-turbo. I recently purchased a one-owner 2004 S60 2.5T AWD that came in as a trade to the local Mercedes Benz dealer. My car currently has about 108,500 miles and looks like it has been serviced regularly by the local Volvo dealership. When I got it, the Benz dealership showed me that they inspected the car thoroughly and changed the brakes on all four wheels. Everything else appeared to be "okay." That seems to be true for the most part--I did do my plugs and air filter recently just as a preliminary precaution and to save money when I take it in for its next service at the dealership (I got coupons for the dealership after joining the Volvo Heritage Club).

Anyway, enough about that. In the dealer inspection report I didn't see any mention of anything on the front end being bad, however, I can tell something is a miss when driving the car around town. Almost every time I go over a speed hump I hear a creak from my front driver's side. I don't feel anything, just hear it. It just sort of sounds like a groan. I don't get it if I run over a pothole or manhole in the road though, it is generally on the humps or going through a dip straight on.

So that's one thing, I am not sure if and when the struts were replaced. The other thing which is a little more difficult to explain is this clunk or pop I hear from the front end. I get it sometimes when I turn left and hit uneven pavement, or sometimes if I just hit a part in the road that is uneven. I thought initially maybe it was strut mount, but it doesn't do it all the time. I had a bad strut mount on an old Saab and that sort of clanked and clunked over any blemish in the road. This seems to be more selective and really present when I am turning on even service or hit certain uneven areas at just the right angle.

I opened up the hood to take a look at the strut towers. They have the rubber caps on them, but if I grab those and twist there is a little tiny bit of give--I don't know if that means anything or not. I haven't had a chance to try to turn the top nut. If I grab the tires on both sides and shake it I hear a dull clunk. I've read a few things and it seems it could be the sway bar links, ball joints, or maybe the control arms. In any case, I'm not too keen on have to replace either of the latter as I think I already overpaid on the car itself. I think I could probably do the sway bar links pretty easily by myself, but some of the other stuff, maybe not.

Any advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to using this forum in the future, the old V70 forum was incredibly helpful. Thanks!

-Edan

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: Clunk and Creak from Front End

Post by oragex » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:23 pm

A video may help. For the groan, the spring seat may be worn/failing but it's just a guess. Also the end links or the sway bar bushings. Try also to look at the bottom of the coil spring if there is a rubber shield over the last two coils, so the coil doesn't rub on the chassis. The knock can be caused by the top strut bearing having some play. Again, just one of the possibilities.

estrekal
United States of America
estrekal

Post by estrekal » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:44 pm

Thanks for the reply. The problem with these types of "mystery" sounds from the front end is that they seemingly can be any number of things. I'll take a look at the bottom portion of the coil springs to see if I can see anything. I had thought about the spring seat too.

I've seen that some of the parts suppliers sell entire struck assemblies, I wonder if those are any good?

estrekal
United States of America
estrekal

Post by estrekal » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:24 am

I've ordered some swaybay links from FCP, I'll hopefully put them in in the next week or so. If that doesn't fix it, no problem, I'll go from there. I might consider picking up some of the quick strut assemblies from FCP if the swaybar links don't fix the clunk and pop.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:59 am

Depending on the parts, some don't last more than an year. It seems Meyle HD are better, but otherwise I'd usually go for Lemforder to be sure.

estrekal
United States of America
estrekal

Post by estrekal » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:00 am

I went with the Lemforder as I've been noticing that a lot of the Meyle parts are now coming out of China, just like the Meyle air filter I put in my wife's jetta last week. Honestly I would prefer Mexico to China any day.

Hendoo
Year and Model: 1999 S80 2.9
United States of America
Hendoo

Post by Hendoo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:27 pm

Does your '04 S60 have subframe bushings?

Your description of clunks going over bumps sounds like my '99 S80 when the subframe bushings were bad...

-hendoo
-Hendoo
1999 Volvo S80 2.9
1982 Volvo 245 Diesel

estrekal
United States of America
estrekal

Post by estrekal » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:31 am

I did think about that. I know when it got cold, my 2000 V70 would make some popping noises when I'd drive up into a parking lot or be on an uneven surface where one side of the car was slightly elevated. In those instances, I could very clearly feel the pop under my feet in the floorboards of the car. In my S60 it's not quite as pronounced. I don't feel it as much as I hear it if that makes sense.

It does seem to be more prominent too when I am turning the wheels left, which leads me to question whether or not it is the tie rod ends and not maybe the swaybar links. I guess I'll know soon enough. I am expecting to probably tackle the swaybar links this weekend. I appreciate the responses.

-Edan

estrekal
United States of America
estrekal

Post by estrekal » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:40 pm

Update (sort of):
So I did receive my sway bar links in the mail last week, but I haven't had a chance to install them. We've been having some unusually foul weather here in Northern Nevada, so I haven't wanted to work on it when the underside is covered in water and grime. I have had a chance to take a good look at some of the components underneath though. The boots on both ends of both links look like they're intact, and actually appear to be fairly "new" already. They look just like the Lemforder replacements I purchased. I did buy some silicone grease though and lubed the bushings on my control arms. As far as I've been able to tell, the creaking is still there over large speed humps (not bumps, the larger trapezoid-shaped ones), but the popping clunking noise I was hearing over uneven services seems to have decreased and almost disappeared now.

Is this an indication that my control arms might be bad? I haven't had a chance to check out the ball joints yet, but I might give those a spray too. I was going to take it in for an oil change at some point in the near future at the dealership (only because I got some coupons when I joined the Heritage Club). I am hoping since they've been serving the car since new they have of the suggested service from it's 105K service (or in this case 103.5K).