IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Can I ignore these CEL codes - EDM - faulty voltage and others Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Thenextman
Year and Model: 2004 Volvo XC70

Can I ignore these CEL codes - EDM - faulty voltage and others

Post by Thenextman »

Hi All,

I have a 2004 Volvo XC70 with 208k kms on it.

I recently had a garage install two aftermarket (unity brand) strut assemblies after my driver side coil spring broke. They also replaced my driver side blinker. This headlamp has a leak and has been letting in water.

The next day after about 200km of driving, I had the CEL come on. Drat. Went back to the shop to have them pull the codes revealing the following:

DEM - system voltage - faulty voltage

ECM - 130A - Intake air leakage - faulty signal
ECM - 1300 - Mass air flow
ECM - 201A - Thermostat Faulty signal

CEM - 6A04 - Rear right door locked - signal too low
PDM - 0025 - door mirror motor disconnected
UEM - siren communication fault

Now, the car is driving fine and I rather not spend more money on it. So I am wondering if I can just ignore all of this. That said, I don't want this to snowball into a bunch of other issues and kill the car. I love this car.

The air intake codes are old and I was told I could ignore them at the cost of a bit of fuel efficiency and some minor acceleration loss. No biggie to me.

The thermostat code is new, and concerning.

The door and siren don't concern me - the alarm system has been faulty since I've owned the vehicle. Once had Volvo disable, but it doesn't seem to have taken.

The DEM concerns me the most - lots of posts about this. That said, they relate to the AWD being disabled. I had an issue a while back where the traction control system and abs would trigger constantly and it cost me 2k to have this fixed by Volvo. It was not drive able with these systems constantly engaging for no reason.

Now. The car drives well (it's been dry and grippy here since this came up so no idea about wet or snowy conditions) and I'm happy to keep driving as is, with or without AWD. In a nutshell, can I just leave all the above faults unchecked, without risking the life of the vehicle.

Thanks so much everyone. Hoping I'm not in for another >$1000 in repairs.

Paul
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Re: Can I ignore these CEL codes - EDM - faulty voltage and others  Topic is solved

Post by abscate »

The DEM and thermostat need to be addressed, but could just be low battery voltage. If the garage let the car sit with the doors open, it might just need a charge

Driving a 13 year old car will cost you 10-15 cpm if you pay for repairs at independents
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary
Thenextman

Re: Can I ignore these CEL codes - EDM - faulty voltage and others

Post by Thenextman »

Gotcha - I'll try checking the battery with a multimeter. What puzzles me is that I drove the car for 2 hours before the light came on so wouldn't the alternator have charged it? Garage wants $120 to diagnose problem. They warned that leaving it will just result in more codes.

Really hoping that I just need a new battery - as far as I know, this one has never been changed.
Thenextman

Post by Thenextman »

abscate wrote:The DEM and thermostat need to be addressed, but could just be low battery voltage. If the garage let the car sit with the doors open, it might just need a charge

Driving a 13 year old car will cost you 10-15 cpm if you pay for repairs at independents
PS any tips on properly checking the battery would be awesome! Maybe I should just take it to Canadian tire and see what they say.

Thanks for the reply.
JRL
Year and Model: Several

Post by JRL »

Take it to the tire shop, ALTERNATORS are not generators. They really do not charge very much and will never give a full charge to a low battery
2000 V70R Black, 144,000 miles Wife's R.
2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

Contact info for purchases: [email protected]
Thenextman

Post by Thenextman »

Ok great - thanks @JRL. Will I have to have someone clear the codes before knowing if that's the issue or should the check engine light go away if that's the issue?

Thanks again!
Thenextman

Post by Thenextman »

PS reading 12.12 v across terminals with car off and 14.3 v with car on / appliances off.
beigg
Year and Model: 850 97

Post by beigg »

The alt code will go dormant (history) after that particular fault is rectified. After the system is exercised (drive cycles met) to reassure the fault is resolved, the all clear will take place. It would be best after conducting the repair to command a DTC reset, however, that calls for another process using an electronic device.
ugh smh 850 Turbo fridge
Thenextman

Post by Thenextman »

In your mind. Given the voltage readings above and the faults detected - am I screwed?

What you're saying is the fault light will go away after some driving if fixed, correct?

Thanks for the reply.
beigg
Year and Model: 850 97

Post by beigg »

Thenextman wrote:In your mind. Given the voltage readings above and the faults detected - am I screwed?

What you're saying is the fault light will go away after some driving if fixed, correct?

Thanks for the reply.
That particular code should do as such.

You can try disconnecting the battery cables, touch just those two cable ends together, then lay them aside for a few minutes prior to reconnecting to the battery.
ugh smh 850 Turbo fridge