IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Single loud click or pop when going over bump in reverse with wheel turned

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Thenextman
Year and Model: 2004 Volvo XC70

Single loud click or pop when going over bump in reverse with wheel turned

Post by Thenextman »

Hi All,

Had my struts replaced last week with a set of aftermarket, unity brand strut assemblies (full assembly).

The past two days, when reversing out of the lot at work, I'll hear and feel a click or pop as my driver side tire comes over the curb with wheels turned about 50 percent to the right. I can feel this in my left foot if it is resting on the wheel well.

It's happened three out of five times now at that exact spot, generally when car is cold. Do not feel or hear it for the rest of the trip generally or when pulling into other places. It's a single click.

Any idea what this might be? The car is a 2004 XC70 with 208k km on it.

Thanks,

Paul
engineer4528
Year and Model: 2006 s60r

Re: Single loud click or pop when going over bump in reverse with wheel turned

Post by engineer4528 »

This is caused by the pads falling off the shoe and jamming between the shoe and rotor. Try to find replacement pads that are riveted on. OEM ones are glued on and fail over time. Mine shredded the rotor and replacement was expensive.
Thenextman

Post by Thenextman »

As is the brake pads? Weird - I will look into this.

Thanks engineer
Thenextman

Post by Thenextman »

engineer4528 wrote:This is caused by the pads falling off the shoe and jamming between the shoe and rotor. Try to find replacement pads that are riveted on. OEM ones are glued on and fail over time. Mine shredded the rotor and replacement was expensive.
Hey engineer - can you provide some clarity on this? (Forgive me, I don't know much about cars) is this a drum brake problem? Parking brake? Do you mean to say that my brake pads are delaminating from the calipers? How long do I have before this destroys my car? Could it be something else?

Braking feels fine, and this only happens when the car has been sitting in sub zero temperature for a while.

Thanks!