IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Gauges dead. Matched the part numbers, tried three different clusters. All the same. Help?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Bamm
Year and Model: 2002 V70

Gauges dead. Matched the part numbers, tried three different clusters. All the same. Help?

Post by Bamm »

Hey all. I have a 2002 V70 and the gauges went on the fritz and then went dead. No speedo/fuel/temp/tach/signals/brights etc. Check engine light comes on and goes off as it should, but that's it. I have access to multiple parts cars. One has a dash cluster that was recently remanufacted so I thought I was going to be all good. Put it in, no difference. Pulled another donor cluster, no difference. Looked for blown fuses, none I could find. Can any of you help me out? Thanks..........jb
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Re: Gauges dead. Matched the part numbers, tried three different clusters. All the same. Help?

Post by oragex »

you want all but the Spare number to match the ones on your original unit
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (28.24 KiB) Viewed 763 times
Bamm

Re: Gauges dead. Matched the part numbers, tried three different clusters. All the same. Help?

Post by Bamm »

So the Spare P/No. matching is a bad thing?
Bamm

Post by Bamm »

Okay, so here is a twist. One of the parts/donor cars that I have has a remanufactured dash cluster. Plug it into my current daily driver and it doesn't work. Only the check engine light. So, I put the dash cluster back into the parts car (motor blown) and decided to test it there. Installed a battery and the dash cluster worked perfectly. All the factory numbers match. Any help?
Bamm

Post by Bamm »

Also, took the dash cluster out of my wife's daily driver (also a 2002 v70) and it worked perfectly in mine. Just odd.
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Post by oragex »

The cluster you had originally in the car, the one that went bad, did it actually work well before it went bad? Your car cluster may need the numbers that your wife car has. It's ok if the spare No is also matching, I believe the most important is the 650T as looking at the above picture.
Bamm

Post by Bamm »

No, it had started blinking and numbers wouldn't show up. Bright light indicator didn't work. It is the same when I switched that cluster into my wife's car. I just can't figure out why a cluster that works perfectly in a donor car, has the same numbers doesn't work in my car. Yet when I swap the one from my wife's daily driver into my car it works fine. Thanks guys for putting time to his for me.
Bamm

Post by Bamm »

The numbers match across all four cars. Just for reference.
vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70

Post by vtl »

DIM (the gauge cluster) is connected to CEM, you may see CEM problem in fact.
05 XC70 265k, 16 XC60 45k, 19 Tundra 5k
jbeebo
Year and Model: S60, 2005

Post by jbeebo »

I was just thinking the same thing as vtl, that it might be related to an upstream issue (the CEM), or the wiring harness between the two.

Let me get this straight:
multiple DIM don't work in your car?
your wife's DIM _does_ work in your car?
multiple DIM _does_ work in your wife's car?

Any other electrical gremlins about, or is it strictly the DIM in your car?
2005 S60 2.4L (B5244S6), 175k miles