IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Cheap amazon struts

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

dave22r
Year and Model: 2001 S60
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
dave22r

Cheap amazon struts

Post by dave22r » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:09 pm

My front end shudders at speed and my tires are worn af. Figured it's time for struts so I bought these....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0167 ... UTF8&psc=1

Has anyone bought this brand?

My S60 is a 110 highway mile a day DD. Just wanted to go cheap since I'm not too worried about performance or longevity. I'll have this another year maybe. I'm installing myself so if they suck I can return and get a proper brand. Tires and alignment will be done at the same time.

Anything else to replace while I'm in there? I'll have sway bar links on standby at oreilley because one always breaks.....

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: Cheap amazon struts

Post by oragex » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:52 pm

If the roads are nice and smooth, you will feel like in a 1990 Hyundai, but they will work. If the roads are of poor quality you will probably remove them after 1 week.

Normally the spring seat will be worn if original,
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo- ... 0-s80-xc70

JRL
Year and Model: Several
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
JRL

Post by JRL » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:00 pm

100 mile a day commute and you go cheap, unreal.
You will remove them in a week
You MUST buy new spring seats, (if yours haven't been replaced in the last 70K miles, they're shot anyway) buy OEM Volvo as if you don't, you will be replacing those too. They always are replaced when a new strut is installed.
Also buy a pair of new bellows, those are cheap.

As for the rest of the strut parts (bearing plates, bolts, control arm bushings, etc) only you know or will know if they need replacing or not.
2000 V70R Black, 144,000 miles Wife's R.
2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

Contact info for purchases: [email protected]

dave22r
Year and Model: 2001 S60
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
dave22r

Post by dave22r » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:30 pm

So struts aren't like oil filters and washing machines, where there are like 3 companies that make them and they just get different brands on them? Pardon the ignorance, never bought the cheap stuff before.

Thanks for the tip on the spring seats, I'll order some of them. I've had it for a 18 months and 25k miles and I'd bet the seats were put on by a Swede in 2001 like most everything I've replaced on the car

Meh I'll try it out, if they're decent I'll update and save you guys some $$... Probably not though, I'll be on here 2 weeks after installation so y'all can laugh at me!

jbeebo
Year and Model: S60, 2005
Has thanked: 0
Canada
jbeebo

Post by jbeebo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:48 pm

I"ve never purchased those unknown brand, but last strut change I did (myself) on my Sienna minivan I used KYB Excel-G struts and shocks - which are a reputable and known brand and type. I'll _NEVER_EVER_ do that again :( The new struts were barely better than the worn out OEM ones, and 30k miles later the ride and handling was worse than it ever was; total POS shocks/struts.

For the time, $ and effort to replace struts, because it is a bit of a PITA, my personal recommendation is invest in something decent. I hate driving that van now, and it adds insult to injury every time I get behind the wheel.

Unfortunately not too many options for that old minivan, but fortunately for us, there are quite a few options for the S60. Check around on this site I bet you'll find peeps who like the Sachs, Bilsteins and Konis. Myself, I'm going with Koni FSD set when I'm due for a change.

+1 on the new upper spring seat and bellows/bump stops. You might be wise to purchase a ready packaged kit off FCP or IPD websites. While you're at it, check the front A-arm bushings. I suspect those are ripped too, might as well replace them while you've got it all apart - save a second alignment job.
Best of luck!
2005 S60 2.4L (B5244S6), 175k miles